WLG1952

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
A guy parked next to me in parking lot. As we were getting our gear out of cars I saw his license plate which read "LZYGLFR". I ask him about it, and he told me he was a lazy golfer.

I had to ask what a lazy golfer was.. He told he just hits the ball, and doesn't care where it goes. He's not serious about the game at all. That he never keeps score, and that he rarely practices.

His clubs, and bag were of a generic nature.

He also said he just likes being on a golf course, that it reminds him of living in the country, away from the big city turmoil. Golf offers that to him.

He had a tee time to get to, and I was there to get some practice swings in. Our conversation was short.

I kept thinking about this guy's golf attitude during my practice time. Thought he rolled pretty well with it. That he was probably a scratch player.

Y'know, if I can manage to adopt that guy's attitude I probably won't play half-bad. Thanks for sharing that, @WLG1952.

I’m guessing that maybe he used to be a very good player but was too lazy to practice or play as much as is needed to keep playing at a high level. Is there anybody here with 5 or better handicap who plays to that level only playing a few times a month?

Being a lazy golfer is something we should all aspire to once a month. It would make us appreciate our games that much more IMO.

He was Ty Webb.

Y'know, if I can manage to adopt that guy's attitude I probably won't play half-bad. Thanks for sharing that, @WLG1952.
@MaybeDuffer - go look up "Golf Sidekick" on YouTube and watch some of his videos (especially the "Way of the Playa" videos). He offers a great perspective on the game and a lot of good thoughts on playing "stress-free golf". Not quite "lazy golf" like the OP, but it may change your whole headspace.

@WLG1952 - it takes all kinds, and if he enjoys his golf that way I think it's a great way to roll!

Today, scoring well took a back seat enjoying the scenery and course. Was I lazy? Maybe but I made some shots...it was nice to not let the score impact my enjoyment.

I aspire to be that guy. Not the lazy part - I'm too hyper for that - but the I no longer give a #@$% part sounds great.

I like practicing, I keep score, I really enjoy being in the moment while at the course, and I still get a little giddy the night before a round. There are still f-bombs and fist pumps and the I gotta work on that part my game attitude. But the drama that comes from shooting a good score or a crappy score doesn't seem to be as intense with either. There are no longer the hours and hours of working on my swing without a prayer of really changing it, there's no lust for new equipment nor the blind faith with the difference it will make, and I don't have that need to talk about golf to any luckless soul who happens to be stuck in a conversation with me.

It's a work in progress.

Take what the game gives you, and make the best of it man. The game gets much less stressful I find.
Been trying out the less stressful approach for about a year and a half now. Not stressing about my game, enjoying my time out there, and just having more fun.

Man I wish I could be a lazy golfer every once in awhile!

I've tried to take a less stressful approach to the game my last two rounds and it's helped my scoring. My last two rounds have been the lowest of the year, for me (87 last week and an 88 today. I'm grinding less and letting go of bad holes immediately, when previously I would let the frustration of a bad hole affect the next. Today I had a pretty decent round going on the front 9 until I hit #7 in which I proceeded to go double, double, double. Now, in the past, that was the beginning of a round wrecker because I just wouldn't allow myself, mentally, to get over a stretch like that. I then proceeded to go bogey, eagle, triple. I had two more triples on the back nine but followed both with pars.

I never tally my score while I'm playing. I always tally at the end and when you're a high cap, like myself, your score is typically a surprise (one way or the other). I was (and really wasn't) surprised to see that I had broken 90 for the second time this season and for two rounds in a row. I'm taking what the game is giving me and, as a result, it's giving back. Loving this approach, right now.

Great attitude. I can kind of relate to that guy. Although I enjoy scoring, I really enjoy simply being out on the course on a nice day, puffing on a cigar and thinking of nothing.

I find that when I adopt this philosophy I play better but it's usually mid round that I say **** it and just relax.
It's easier said than done.

Beato lui! He's blessed. I play occasionally with a guy who plays in a similar way, doesn't keep score, so no Hcp, though I would guess he could play to low teens if he turned them in. He just has a good old time with no worries. His idea of golf is different than mine has been as I see the game as a challenge and something you can always improve upon, so keeping score and Hcp lets me follow my progress. On the other hand, I don't much get bent out of shape when I don't score as well as I think I should. Just keep practicing.

A guy parked next to me in parking lot. As we were getting our gear out of cars I saw his license plate which read "LZYGLFR". I ask him about it, and he told me he was a lazy golfer.

I had to ask what a lazy golfer was.. He told he just hits the ball, and doesn't care where it goes. He's not serious about the game at all. That he never keeps score, and that he rarely practices.

His clubs, and bag were of a generic nature.

He also said he just likes being on a golf course, that it reminds him of living in the country, away from the big city turmoil. Golf offers that to him.

He had a tee time to get to, and I was there to get some practice swings in. Our conversation was short.

I kept thinking about this guy's golf attitude during my practice time. Thought he rolled pretty well with it. That he was probably a scratch player.

That was my first thought, scratch golfer, lol.

How many 25HC’s have customized golf specific license plates?

I’m guessing that maybe he used to be a very good player but was too lazy to practice or play as much as is needed to keep playing at a high level. Is there anybody here with 5 or better handicap who plays to that level only playing a few times a month?

Im definitely not a 5 or less, but I’m a 9 even and play probably 2-3 times a month at most. Toddler at home, work, etc. Don’t ever really practice except for warming up at the range and putting before a round. Extent of practicing outside of warming up for a round is putting on a little mat at home sometimes.

I played to under a 5 from roughly 2014-2017 playing maybe 25-30 rounds a year and practicing maybe 10 times. But, I also left the game as a + back in 2003 or so when I had kids. From 1997-2003 I played at least 1000 rounds and probably hit the range at least that too.

Age, injury, and illness have wrecked my golf game. Not to mention ma nature who seems to like to only have craptastic weather every time I plan to play. It’s coming together a little this year, but I’m not playing to a 5 for sure. Double that, at least. I don’t have an official anymore since the Grint charges now so I’ve just been tracking it myself based on score, rating, and slope.

Man, I bet that guy wanted a money game. :cool: He was a little too plain?? :unsure:
No one nonchalant about golf gets a customized license plate. :LOL:

Man, I bet that guy wanted a money game. :cool: He was a little too plain?? :unsure:
No one nonchalant about golf gets a customized license plate. :LOL:
I’d never play a money game against a guy with a personalized golf license plate and a well-worn mix and match bag of clubs. That’s screaming “sleeper” right from the get-go! :LOL:

I've tried to take a less stressful approach to the game my last two rounds and it's helped my scoring. My last two rounds have been the lowest of the year, for me (87 last week and an 88 today. I'm grinding less and letting go of bad holes immediately, when previously I would let the frustration of a bad hole affect the next. Today I had a pretty decent round going on the front 9 until I hit #7 in which I proceeded to go double, double, double. Now, in the past, that was the beginning of a round wrecker because I just wouldn't allow myself, mentally, to get over a stretch like that. I then proceeded to go bogey, eagle, triple. I had two more triples on the back nine but followed both with pars.

I never tally my score while I'm playing. I always tally at the end and when you're a high cap, like myself, your score is typically a surprise (one way or the other). I was (and really wasn't) surprised to see that I had broken 90 for the second time this season and for two rounds in a row. I'm taking what the game is giving me and, as a result, it's giving back. Loving this approach, right now.
Your experience mirrors mine.

I missed several makeable putts today at the beginning of my round. I was keeping score on a card, but not paying attention, and I wasn't getting mad.

Finished birdie par par for a sub 90 round with two consecutive >10 foot putts.

It's all in your head......

Back