lead tape can be helpful !

Louis_Posture

Reaction score
I've been getting acquainted with a 3-wood with 6-weight graphite and the club had swung a bit light, but a couple of strips of lead tape were able to raise the swing weight by 2 points, so now the club for me has better balance.
Also my set of wedges with 110 gram shafts have better balance by adding lead tape to the heads.
For me light weight shafts can be more comfortable and lively than heavier weight shafts, but sometimes the light static weight means a higher swing weight is needed to help the club's balance, and lead tape is made for that.
Have you applied lead tape to any of your clubs?

It’s a very close friend of mine lol ,
3 strips , on the back of the sole of the 3w. Makes its behave much better.

Even used it , playing round with drivers

So simple and cheap , the ability to
affix it anywhere on the club and if no good rip off and no damage ..

Integral weights in clubs are great also but don’t provide flexibility

It’s a very close friend of mine lol ,
3 strips , on the back of the sole of the 3w. Makes its behave much better.

Even used it , playing round with drivers

So simple and cheap , the ability to
affix it anywhere on the club and if no good rip off and no damage ..

Integral weights in clubs are great also but don’t provide flexibility
I've learned that 7 weight 3-wood shafts feel to me a bit sluggish, heavy. But a 6-weight 3-wood shaft swings too light, so the lead tape is a great way to get the benefits of a lighter weight shaft but enough head weight so that the finished club is well balanced.
The current availability of many light weight shaft options I believe should promote the use of lead tape.

Episode 4 GIF by Star Wars

A guy I play with is a bit of a mad scientist in regards to lead tape. The craziest thing I saw was he had 4 strips going different directions of his driver. After a couple of holes he started hitting it pretty badly. This went on for 2-3 holes, then he looked at the bottom and 1 piece had fallen off. He put a new piece on and started stripping the ball again. Pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it sometimes more for GI clubs, because i find they tend to feel lighter, or have measurably lighter swingweights.

Haven't used it on woods in years. But irons yes sometimes. I had on my Sub70s because i never had them measured, but they must have been less than D2-D3

I have two strips on my putter, right behind the face, on the sole.

Little on the heel Of a driver when I was having slicing issues and cut the shaft for better control/ball flight while keeping swing weight.

I also made a nice punch out club. 3i cut to 5i length, 2* more upright than standard lie and weighted to match my 5i.

No lead Tape but have been experimenting with swing weights in my Putter. So I built up what I call my General McAuliffe Putter from the Battle of the Bulge 1944 -- I use "NUTS"

these are brass nuts in 5 gr weights so I can figure out which weights to buy and replace in my Ping 2.0 Putter. next week I will add another Nut. - and review results. I do prefer a heavier weighted putter. My Putters vary from D0 to about D9 - and they all putt well - but it is the feel of the club head I am experimenting with - as retired old fart - just looking for solution to a non problem Eh?

thumbnail_IMG_3113.jpg

Back