dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you use lead tape on your irons? I was thinking about how complex swing weighting can be if you decide to change grips or length. One of the more widely used alternatives is utilizing lead tape. Personally a HATE the look, but I love the feel when it's right. How do you find that perfect balance?

I put it right below the grip or above the hosel so the appearance is somewhat diminished.

I don’t like how it looks and have tried to avoid it through the years. I haven’t used it for a long time.

I've never used it since I also hate the look of it. Truthfully, I don't even know what swing weight I play at for anything either so I wouldn't know what to work towards lol

I've never used it since I also hate the look of it. Truthfully, I don't even know what swing weight I play at for anything either so I wouldn't know what to work towards lol
Same here. I used to play much more than I do now. Though hoping to resume this year. Swing weight never gripped my thoughts. I always try to make it all as simple as I can... No thoughts at all.

That said I have about 15-20 grams on the sole off my older, newly refinished Scotty. But can't see it so no issue.

Love lead tape, it’s easy, it’s tunable, and it makes some people so disgusted that it just makes me laugh. :ROFLMAO:

I've tried it, but never noticed much difference. Either I'm not very sensitive to swing weight, or I'm so inconsistent in all other aspects that it doesn't matter.

I use it. The look is meh but I can deal

I can't do it. It just looks off to me, but if it helps it helps.

Don't care for it, looks tacky to me. But I also understand its an easy way to get SW up if needed.

No problem whatsoever with it. There’s a little bit on the toe of my 5w & back/heel of my 3I. Placement took some trail & error but it seems to help with shaping shots.

Love lead tape, it’s easy, it’s tunable, and it makes some people so disgusted that it just makes me laugh. :ROFLMAO:

Haha! As big as you are on aesthetics, it doesn’t bother you?

I can't do it. It just looks off to me, but if it helps it helps.

I think this is the reason why the Apex MBs and XForged CB’s are so good. The ability to dial in swing weight allows us to avoid the marring of beautiful irons with lead tape.

I have it in my driver a bit but not my irons. I imagine he only place would really be just on the back, but even then it could probably come off easily no?

Haha! As big as you are on aesthetics, it doesn’t bother you?
Not on irons. Irons are workhorses, plus the look at address is where I’m finicky. ;)

I have it in my driver a bit but not my irons. I imagine he only place would really be just on the back, but even then it could probably come off easily no?
Cavity on irons, won’t come off if you apply it with pressure, I use a wooden pencil or something similar like a roller to press it down.

Do you use lead tape on your irons? I was thinking about how complex swing weighting can be if you decide to change grips or length. One of the more widely used alternatives is utilizing lead tape. Personally a HATE the look, but I love the feel when it's right. How do you find that perfect balance?

The best players in the world put lead tape on their golf club heads. Why some amateurs are reluctant to do so is perplexing.

The best players in the world put lead tape on their golf club heads. Why some amateurs are reluctant to do so is perplexing.

Because golfers are like Dallas women - it's about appearance :LOL:... and uh, also for the women, money.:oops:

The best players in the world also get their equipment for free at whatever customization level they require. They are also the tools they use to earn their livelihood. Function over form I’d imagine. Most amateurs are certainly taken with aesthetics and don’t have the luxury of unlimited heads. If aesthetics didn’t matter than visual tech would be all the rage. It seems the simpler, minimalist designs continues to thrive for a reason.

The good thing is people can apply what they want. Whether it’s lead tape or iron headcovers, have at it. I mean pros are doing that too.

I'll use it in pretty neutral places to dial in swing weight and part of the feel of a set/iron, and then pull the heads and build them to that. If they're still not right or felt better with the tape, they're not the right clubs for me, and I move on.

Back