Leading Edge of Wedges?

I've never paid attention. Whatever the Vokey wedges are, especially since the SM5 version is what has been good for my game. The Callaway MD3 wedges were their first offering that I actually could get along with.

I care less about rounded or square and more about the bounce and sole grind. I’m a huge fan of the Cleveland v-sole and after having played 5 different brands of wedges over the last decade I’m not experimenting with my wedges anymore. Or my irons for that matter, the v-sole tech makes a difference for me.

I'm about to find out. Just bought a Ben Hogan Equalizer wedge which has a much more straight leading edge compared to my current Cleveland.

Rounded because at address I don’t feel like I’m going to dig a trench.

I have played both the rounded and straight edge and I have both at my disposal. I can hit both of them so the preference to me is what looks good at address with the soles that I have. The straight edge really frames the ball and provides a good aim while the rounded seems to glide through the turf better. Currently I'm carrying both in my bag now.

Think you can nip the ball better with a rounded edge shape. I heard Roger Cleveland say that ... Of course, I think the current fashion is straight to straightish. Straight seems easier to aim for some.

All I know is that a wedge does not work if you are not golfingly relaxed (free of golf tension).

Last edited:
100%, rounded. All day every day. Just picked up some new SM7s and they are a good bit more rounded than my TM MG wedges.

I think the rounded leading edges make them more versatile and forgiving. Short pitches and chips around the greens have a great turf interaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm honestly not sure. I'll have to take a look to see. Definitely have me thinking about what's actually on the leading edge now.

As I can’t think of an answer, I don’t think I’m bothered.

#FiberLaunch

Rounded, to my eye it just looks like you can do more with it... ie open it up, or even press it forward without digging (although I realize grinds play a huge role as well)

I like straighter on 52/56 because of the shots I hit but rounded with the 60 because I open the face more etc.

I think straighter with a slightly rounded edge. I don't like the look of a really rounded leading edge.

Just had a chance to work with some pretty straight leading edge wedges, vs the more rounded that I have and I liked what I saw.

rounded all day long. straight really messes with my head when opening the face.

It doesnt really matter to me, although I find rounded wedges to be a bit more forgiving. They seem to have less turf interaction and less likely to dig. They also seem to more versatile in terms of being able to open the face.

Depends on what it looks like at address, but I would say rounded because I tend to have an open stance with my wedges.

I really prefer the straighter edge... just looks like I’m setting up more square to the target

Which wedge model has more of a straight leading edge? I'm trying to think so I can compare in my head.

A bit rounded for me as well. makes me feel like it will be easier to get it into the turf/sand properly

I prefer a straighter edge, except when I'm trying to really flop it or blast out of bunkers, then I feel like the rounded edge makes me think I can get the edge under the ball thru impact.

I never paid much attention before but I really like the rounded edge with the extra 1/2 groove on the Glide 3.0. I feel like it helps me get under the ball even when I open the face a bit

Back