F.N.G

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I was wondering how much time a week is ideal for putting practice. As well as the best drills to work on. I am a decent putter, but I want to be a great putter.

Lessons are a good way to get better. Time wise my instructor recommends a 70/30 putting/shorts game to full swing ratio.

Thanks, I have looked into lessons but I have more time them money at this point in my life. I can't afford to spend the money on lessons, or I won't be able to play for a while. So since putting on the practice green is free I tend to do that a couple hours a week.

Thanks, I have looked into lessons but I have more time them money at this point in my life. I can't afford to spend the money on lessons, or I won't be able to play for a while. So since putting on the practice green is free I tend to do that a couple hours a week.

Then check out the thread I mentioned as it will give you some drills and ideas of how to pin point the areas you need to work on. What are you struggling with specifically?

8-10 footers are killer for me. I can lag it pretty well but I seem to miss the 8-10 footer about 75% of the time. With my short game being lacking at best I tend to leave myself 8 foot short or past most of the time. I'm working on the short game quite a bit to help with that. But until then I need to be able to save par more often to get to my goal of getting a 79 this season.

I think the professionals average about 50% conversion from 10ft so don't feel bad if you're missing 75%.

Are you missing more push/pull? Or misreading?

medium_imgjpg_zps321fc672.png

I'd read Unconscious Putting. It's a system that has really helped me, and there are several tips discussed for reading greens and maximizing practice for putting.

Getting lessons is always your best bet. I struggled for a long time and they turned me from an awful putter to a pretty solid one. I know that is not an option for everyone and this thread has several drills in it that can help give you some things to think about: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?49380-SeeMore-SPi-Cyber-Coach
I'm going to go back through this thread as part of my grandaddy prep. Putting is my weakness but by the end of the year it won't be.

8-10 footers are killer for me. I can lag it pretty well but I seem to miss the 8-10 footer about 75% of the time. With my short game being lacking at best I tend to leave myself 8 foot short or past most of the time. I'm working on the short game quite a bit to help with that. But until then I need to be able to save par more often to get to my goal of getting a 79 this season.

After reading this, I have to ask how many greens do you hit in regulation? I know my game is driven by GIR and if I miss a lot, my short game can't handle that much pressure. Might want to work on short/mid irons to help you reach your goal of 79. Leaving yourself 8-10 footers on chips/short pitches isn't good either. I would probably focus on irons and chipping/pitches instead of putting.

Most of my 8 ft. Are a speed issue and hitting it harder or softer then I think I need to. So I am either short and on line or 2 foot passed and just missed it by a little.

My gir, have been the worst part of my game since I started. A push to the right was always my miss till I started aiming left to make up for it and it would pull or push slice as my brain tried to fix my swing half way threw. So I know I need improve there, however bucket of balls and swing lessons cost money so we are back to that again sadly.

Most of my 8 ft. Are a speed issue and hitting it harder or softer then I think I need to. So I am either short and on line or 2 foot passed and just missed it by a little.

My gir, have been the worst part of my game since I started. A push to the right was always my miss till I started aiming left to make up for it and it would pull or push slice as my brain tried to fix my swing half way threw. So I know I need improve there, however bucket of balls and swing lessons cost money so we are back to that again sadly.

If it is distance control that you are struggling with and you consistently hit your intended line, I would suggest doing a ladder drill to know how far you hit the ball with each length of stroke. You need to ingrain how long of a stroke to make for a 3,5,7,10, etc foot putt. Then when you get to the course you can take your X length stroke and see if the greens are running faster or slower than your baseline. As an example if your 10 foot baseline stroke is only running 9 feet, you know you need to make the stroke a little longer.

That drill requires you to go to a course. I spend a lot of time in the evening rolling balls over something no larger than a dime that is about 16" in front of the ball to ensure I can roll the ball online everytime no matter what stroke I make.

Back