Learning together about Launch Monitors

So, there's a big jump in price from the $200-$500 range to those $2k units. Very substantial.
That right there is why I haven't jumped on a monitor. Every time I have started research on them, there is always a few things that stop me from pulling the trigger. I want all of the features of the $2k price at the $500 level. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That right there is why I haven't jumped on a monitor. Every time I have started research on them, there is always a few things that stop me from pulling the trigger. I want all of the features of the $2k price at the $500 level. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feel you man! I think once things open back up, we'll start seeing prices on preowned SkyTrak drop back to that $1,200-$1,400 so it's still up there man. I hope as tech continues to advance prices continue to drop, but right now there's a definite gap.

Feel you man! I think once things open back up, we'll start seeing prices on preowned SkyTrak drop back to that $1,200-$1,400 so it's still up there man. I hope as tech continues to advance prices continue to drop, but right now there's a definite gap.
That's probably going to be the case so all y'all wanting one can jump on them

I think spin axis is calculated on radar units indoors based on swing path. Might show less push draws and pull fades because of it
Flightscope has weekly webinars; some are tech related, others are just to hear from some coaches (Bryson's coach was on once), tour players (Bubba was on). They just had one to discuss one of the Mevo+ apps and I had a chance to ask them about this.

Mevo+ is actually measuring spin axis. Outdoors, well it's measuring the flight. On indoor, it's tracking the dot. The radar can lock in on the ball dot and see through the ball so to speak, so it sees how that dot is moving in space and can measure its spin and axis. I think the limitation is on long clubs, where the ball hits the screen so fast that it's tough to get something small like spin axis on misshits to measure accurately. This is something that only now, the very high end Trackman4 has figured out. That tech may trickle down at some point, but it sounds pretty complicated.

The Mevo+ is not measuring swing path. Club parameters measured are club speed and AOA.

Last edited:
I know I'm going to leave some off inadvertently since I'm going off memory. Will edit as others are pointed out:

No experience with ernest sports, and honestly not everything I've read has been positive in terms of firmware updates, bug fixes, etc.
Ernest Sports: https://www.ernestsports.com/
ES12: $199.99
ES14: $495
ESB1: $550
ES Tour: $2700
ES 20/20: $10,000

The SC100 and 200 had positive reviews; the 300 not so much
Swing Caddie: https://voicecaddie.com/product-category/practice/swing-caddie/
SC100: $269.99
SC200/200+: $349.99
SC300: $499.99

PRGR Black $199.99 Not much info on this one

Flightscope started out as a ballistics company, and are now involved in multiple sports. Safe to say the provide products at the widest array of price points right now
Flightscope: https://flightscope.com/shop/

Mevo: $499
Mevo+: $1,999
Xi - Series - ~$5,000
X2 Elite - ~12,000
X3 - ~$13,000

Really interesting, fairly new camera-based product line from Uneekor. https://www.uneekor.com/
Uneekor QED: Packages starting around $6,000
Uneekor Eye XO: Not sure on this one, believe starting price will be around $9 or 10K

One of the two considered industry standards
Trackman: https://trackmangolf.com/
Trackman 3e: $11,995 (cpo)
Trackman 4: Indoor: $18,995. Indoor/Outdoor: $24,995

And the other that is considered as an industry heavyweight:
Foresight Sports: https://www.foresightsports.com/
GC2: $5,400 (cpo)
GC2+HMT: $10,300 (cpo)
GCQuad: $9,900 (cpo), $11,000 new
GCHawk: $16,000

I have owned the ES 14 and ES 16. For the price the ES14 is really good for outside. It has dual radar and is accurate on readings, you will get the odd mis read but you will get that on any unit.

The ES 16 was pretty good. When I had an indoor setup I used this unit. I only did driving range on it and for the price it was pretty darn good. I compared the numbers to trackman and it was really close. You need a ball with a dark straight logo or you can draw a thick black line on the ball, it uses this line to read the spin. Having club data was really nice. Many of the complaints on the ES16 were from people who play sim rounds, I think there was an issue with the sim software and the unit working together. I did not play sim rounds so I can not comment on that.

I have owned the ES 14 and ES 16. For the price the ES14 is really good for outside. It has dual radar and is accurate on readings, you will get the odd mis read but you will get that on any unit.

The ES 16 was pretty good. When I had an indoor setup I used this unit. I only did driving range on it and for the price it was pretty darn good. I compared the numbers to trackman and it was really close. You need a ball with a dark straight logo or you can draw a thick black line on the ball, it uses this line to read the spin. Having club data was really nice. Many of the complaints on the ES16 were from people who play sim rounds, I think there was an issue with the sim software and the unit working together. I did not play sim rounds so I can not comment on that.
Great feedback man. Thanks for chiming in. I honestly hadn't read much recently on their products. How much room did you have indoors?

this is solid stuff, thanks @obedt !

Great feedback man. Thanks for chiming in. I honestly hadn't read much recently on their products. How much room did you have indoors?
I had 10 feet for ball flight.

Ok, simulation software. This is another world, and honestly one I know even less about than LMs. Please post thoughts if you've tried any.
There are third party ones and basically oem ones (Foresight & Trackman have their own). The top 2 from the third party side are e6 Connect and TGC2019. TGC2019 is based on a videogame, and simulator options have been integrated by ProTee United. I personally would throw a third one in there that I personally like called Creative Golf 3D. For optimal graphics, most require a gaming PC with a decent graphics card. Some will also have scaled down IOS options. Also, demo options are available to test on most before committing. There are play tests for each available in youtube. I recommend searching for the channel "Golf Simulator Videos" if interested in any.

For the top LMs, some require a certain license or package before being able to connect to 3rd party software:

SkyTrak - $100/yr Game Improvement Package
Mevo+ - No additional cost. Flightscope includes a base IOS version of e6 connect with 5 courses, range, etc with purchase.
Uneekor QED - Included in the base Ignite package
Trackman - I believe the $1,000/yr software subscription is required to play its software as well as 3rd party (will confirm)
Foresight - Per my understanding, their proprietary software is NOT required to play third party software. Foresight's FSX2020 software is a $3,000 one time payment, with additional course packages available for a cost

Going to share two more articles with more info & comparisons

e6 Connect: https://e6golf.com/ $300/yr base package with 17 courses. $600/yr with all courses available
TGC2019: https://www.protee-united.com/ One time payment ~$950, all courses included
Creative Golf 3D: https://www.creativegolf3d.com/ SkyTrak offers good discounts, for others packages range from $700-$1500 one time payments

A little bit on camera based systems, and one of the reasons Foresight is so widely regarded as being the most accurate-

The SkyTrak camera takes 300 fps. Uneekor QED 3,000 fps. GC2 10,000 fps. The higher the fps, the more information can be gathered in a short amount of time. I believe this shows up more on spin & spin axis than anywhere else, in addition to accurately measuring very fast moving shots. Uneekor QED requires special markings on its balls to provide extremely accurate data.

UneekorBridgestoneMarkedBalls.jpg

Their new EYE XO apparently doesn't require these. I believe it has 2 cameras each capable of 3k fps and is reading the ball's dimples.

The SkyTrak, GC2 and GCQuad will be set a few feet to the side of the ball and just in front. GCHawk, Uneekor QED, and Uneekor EYE XO are ceiling mounted units.

If I were rating ball algorithms based on what I've seen, I'd go Foresight->Uneekor->gap->SkyTrak. This isn't meant to disparage SkyTrak at all, just more of an effect pricing has. In terms of base software, Uneekor is hard to beat here. I really, really like what they have done with their video playback features. SkyTrak has gotten this right other than too much ball curvature.

A little bit on camera based systems, and one of the reasons Foresight is so widely regarded as being the most accurate-

The SkyTrak camera takes 300 fps. Uneekor QED 3,000 fps. GC2 10,000 fps. The higher the fps, the more information can be gathered in a short amount of time. I believe this shows up more on spin & spin axis than anywhere else, in addition to accurately measuring very fast moving shots. Uneekor QED requires special markings on its balls to provide extremely accurate data.

UneekorBridgestoneMarkedBalls.jpg

Their new EYE XO apparently doesn't require these. I believe it has 2 cameras each capable of 3k fps and is reading the ball's dimples.

The SkyTrak, GC2 and GCQuad will be set a few feet to the side of the ball and just in front. GCHawk, Uneekor QED, and Uneekor EYE XO are ceiling mounted units.

If I were rating ball algorithms based on what I've seen, I'd go Foresight->Uneekor->gap->SkyTrak. This isn't meant to disparage SkyTrak at all, just more of an effect pricing has. In terms of base software, Uneekor is hard to beat here. I really, really like what they have done with their video playback features. SkyTrak has gotten this right other than too much ball curvature.

GCHawk and the new Uneekor EyeXO are above and in front of the ball position by a few feet...shouldn't be much of a concern for hitting them, but just a note about their placement on the ceiling

Well since I was just looking at these last night, here's a few of video's I came across.

I have to admit, I'm torn which way to go between the Mevo+ & the SkyTrak. I need to measure, that may decide for me.

I have to admit, I'm torn which way to go between these two. I need to measure, that may decide for me.
Imho you’re on the right track, how much room do you have would be my first question.

Will it be indoors only?

Are you mostly looking for a sim, or as a learning tool?

those are first Qs that come to mind

Imho you’re on the right track, how much room do you have would be my first question.

Will it be indoors only?

Are you mostly looking for a sim, or as a learning tool?

those are first Qs that come to mind
Will it be indoors only? Mostly yes, but the option with the Mevo+ would be nice to have

Are you mostly looking for a sim, or as a learning tool? Both really, I just want accuracy

Will it be indoors only? Mostly yes, but the option with the Mevo+ would be nice to have

Are you mostly looking for a sim, or as a learning tool? Both really, I just want accuracy
Accuracy, if I'm going off what I've read and seen, I'd vote Mevo+ if you have 10 feet of ball flight. It isn't perfect, but neither is the SkyTrak. I do think they're both solid fwiw.

Just my $.02 though

I was compiling the data from my launch monitor and since I bought it, it has recorded over 2600 ball strikes with all my clubs. I have been hammering away. My driver swing is 94.8 over the last two days. I am fairly happy with that, yet I can tell I have had quite a few bad strikes and need some better consistency. These launch monitors can be helpful once you get used to how to use them.

Watch a couple driver swings in this video...at least one is reading incorrect ball flight.

The comments suggest a comparison with the Uneekor QED and/or HD Golf which he has in his setup as well

Watch a couple driver swings in this video...at least one is reading incorrect ball flight.

The comments suggest a comparison with the Uneekor QED and/or HD Golf which he has in his setup as well

Yeah, the problem with a lot of radar units is that lack of gear effect. Toe shots should come back. Ball speed #s and distances were more in line with the Mevo+ than the Skytrak at his speed though. The SkyTrak seems to exaggerate curvature.

That’s going to be a big difference between 2k units and some that are 3 times or more the cost. On well struck balls the ball flight the Mevo+ is giving seems comparable to what he would expect and the #s he gets on uneekor.
He’s really putting up some great content btw.

Yeah, the problem with a lot of radar units is that lack of gear effect. Toe shots should come back. Ball speed #s and distances were more in line with the Mevo+ than the Skytrak at his speed though. The SkyTrak seems to exaggerate curvature.

That’s going to be a big difference between 2k units and some that are 3 times or more the cost. On well struck balls the ball flight the Mevo+ is giving seems comparable to what he would expect and the #s he gets on uneekor.
He’s really putting up some great content btw.

I do like his content. I agree about the Skytrak spin readings being a little high sometimes.

Granted at $2k, there will be misreads from both types of units, and as long as they're consistent, maybe you can accept it.

I'd be more weary if I was a club fitter than just a consumer looking to have golf shots measured into a screen or net.

I do like his content. I agree about the Skytrak spin readings being a little high sometimes.

Granted at $2k, there will be misreads from both types of units, and as long as they're consistent, maybe you can accept it.

I'd be more weary if I was a club fitter than just a consumer looking to have golf shots measured into a screen or net.

100% man. Maybe a fitter can get by with the Mevo+ outdoors on a range. Indoors I'm not sure I could trust it on longer clubs for L/R dispersion. At least total spin and ball speeds seem to be pretty good though. If I were a fitter indoors I'd be saving my pennies for ForeSight or Uneekor though. The Mevo+ seems like it could be really useful for golf coaches. The ability to record your student's swings and save them with the data all present could be big for them. The Skills app can also help have them work on particular shots. I think that's the crowd they're most aiming for with the device in addition to the consumer market.

Another comparison. With how finicky the Mevo can be, good to see it perform relatively well with the Skytrak right in its view. On some of these the ball may have crossed to far right for it to track well

The Uneekor is very cool

I got the TGC2019 software with the SkyTrak. It’s definitely not necessary as most days I’m just using the SkyTrak practice range and game improvement stuff; however, it was awesome during lockdown to play some courses and there are a ton (thousands) of available courses with the software. I also figured I’d get more ROI because I can have buddies over to play rounds on famous courses, which is pretty much priceless.

I got the TGC2019 software with the SkyTrak. It’s definitely not necessary as most days I’m just using the SkyTrak practice range and game improvement stuff; however, it was awesome during lockdown to play some courses and there are a ton (thousands) of available courses with the software. I also figured I’d get more ROI because I can have buddies over to play rounds on famous courses, which is pretty much priceless.

That’s a great setup. You can also play online with others if you really want.

I’m like you, the sim aspect is more of a nice to have than a must. Do you putt on the SkyTrak with tgc?

That’s a great setup. You can also play online with others if you really want.

I’m like you, the sim aspect is more of a nice to have than a must. Do you putt on the SkyTrak with tgc?
I turned the putting off. I didn’t find it beneficial and without it I can cruise through sim rounds really quickly. I was not very generous with my gimme settings so it’s tough for me to make birdies, but unfortunately that’s pretty close to reality 😆

Back