Learning together about Launch Monitors

Curious @Molten , you got sim software right? What did you go with?

Today's FlightScope webinar was about their Speed & acceleration profiles. Interesting stuff. Not likely the Mevo+ will have this capacity, but since it will be supported by their Vx app, there is a slim possibility.

Meant to ask @The Dave , I think you know a bit about this, on camera based units, do overhead units have a harder time with launch angle while units to the side may struggle slightly with L/R direction? I heard it on a video but didn't know if that was confirmed

Today's FlightScope webinar was about their Speed & acceleration profiles. Interesting stuff. Not likely the Mevo+ will have this capacity, but since it will be supported by their Vx app, there is a slim possibility.

Meant to ask @The Dave , I think you know a bit about this, on camera based units, do overhead units have a harder time with launch angle while units to the side may struggle slightly with L/R direction? I heard it on a video but didn't know if that was confirmed

Yes, vertical launch angle tends to be a weakness of overhead launch monitors and horizontal launch angle a weakness with units to the side. Skytrak has a +/- 2° tolerance, GC2/GCQuad probably have lower tolerance levels or a better camera to limit this miss. Skytrak could be a concern if you hit the ball to the left and it shows a shot to the right. HLA is much more noticeable on a misread than VLA

Yes, vertical launch angle tends to be a weakness of overhead launch monitors and horizontal launch angle a weakness with units to the side. Skytrak has a +/- 2° tolerance, GC2/GCQuad probably have lower tolerance levels or a better camera to limit this miss. Skytrak could be a concern if you hit the ball to the left and it shows a shot to the right. HLA is much more noticeable on a misread than VLA
Thanks man. Maybe the EYE XO will improve on this since it's overhead but in front? Maybe that will help it capture VLA?

Thanks man. Maybe the EYE XO will improve on this since it's overhead but in front? Maybe that will help it capture VLA?

Possibly, not sure how the GCHawk does with a similar setup, we'll just wait to see how it performs. I think the EYE XO starts shipping next month to anyone with a pre-order

Also want to note people have complained about a left (draw for righties) spin bias on Skytrak...I agree to some degree, my miss is a snap hook and with a Skytrak can look like it's off the planet miss to the left.

Possibly, not sure how the GCHawk does with a similar setup, we'll just wait to see how it performs. I think the EYE XO starts shipping next month to anyone with a pre-order

About the EYE XO, if it does get VLA right, provides good club data, and is generally accurate...what would be its weakness?

Obviously out the price range for most, but still less expensive than a Quad

About the EYE XO, if it does get VLA right, provides good club data, and is generally accurate...what would be its weakness?

Obviously out the price range for most, but still less expensive than a Quad

I don't claim to be an expert in these, hoping to learn more about the new releases from other sources. I just researched a lot with the release of the Mevo+ at the PGA show. I ended up with a Skytrak due to budget and space requirements, but if I had a larger budget, GC2 or Uneekor would have been a strong contender.

First look at the Uneekor EYE XO

Very impressive unit

Some more stuff on the Mevo+

Flightscope officially released the latest firmware and it looks like *most* are seeing similar results indoors. Overall fairly consistent, slightly longer distance on wedges and slightly shorter on longer clubs, but overall in the right ball park. Spin axis, the issue with misshits is still prevalent, but it looks like otherwise it's again consistent and fairly accurate. Outdoors, honestly haven't seen a lot of new info. Did hear that the radar tracks just over 100 yards of ball flight and estimates the rest.

Also, it looks like South Africa is allowing them to ramp up and they're getting closer to being up and running 100%. Units have been shipping out. I think mine will probably still ship next month, but maybe there's a chance it will ship late June.

My current set up, upgraded to a Skytrak with TGC 2019 from an Optishot2 roughly 2 months ago. I have played 44 rounds so far plus thousands of shots on the range. It is well worth the money. Great practice and will keep you swinging all year. It has been a life saver during the COVID-19 lock down.

I find it to be very accurate, I had a slice develop several weeks ago just before courses had opened up around here. My first time out the same slice that I had on my simulator haunted me all day. I worked on it for several practice sessions on my simulator and straightened it out. This in turn also carried over to real golf.

I also know that I can tell the difference between balls on my Skytrak. Topflites carry 6 yards farther on average that Titleist Pro V's.

Just wanted to share my experience, Skytrak has definitely helped me improve.

Attachments

• 20200413_153116.jpg
    20200413_153116.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 21
I never really understood why people use a LM on a range. Unless of course you are using the balls you normally use on the course (which most people do not)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My current set up, upgraded to a Skytrak with TGC 2019 from an Optishot2 roughly 2 months ago. I have played 44 rounds so far plus thousands of shots on the range. It is well worth the money. Great practice and will keep you swinging all year. It has been a life saver during the COVID-19 lock down.

I find it to be very accurate, I had a slice develop several weeks ago just before courses had opened up around here. My first time out the same slice that I had on my simulator haunted me all day. I worked on it for several practice sessions on my simulator and straightened it out. This in turn also carried over to real golf.

I also know that I can tell the difference between balls on my Skytrak. Topflites carry 6 yards farther on average that Titleist Pro V's.

Just wanted to share my experience, Skytrak has definitely helped me improve.

Love this post man. Glad to read the SkyTrak kept you entertained but has also been a helpful tool for you.

I’ve had a slice develop myself, but don’t have an LM and with ranges closed don’t have that option right now. Just by hitting balls into a met I wasn’t able to tell. Hopefully once my unit comes in it will help me correct my issue.

I never really understood why people use a LM on a range. Unless of course you are using the balls you normally use on the course (which most people do not)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it can help explain the why of the ball flight. You look up and see a slice, a LM can help diagnose if you’re coming from the inside but with an open face, or out to in, etc. Also, some ranges don’t have a good range of distances clearly marked so a lm can give you that feedback.

There are also some, like the Mevo+ that can help prepare you for the course. Pull up a course on the included sim and you can play a few holes, to break up the monotony of the range.

@obedt have you received your Mevo+ yet. Looking for some reviews from anyone who's using it.

@obedt have you received your Mevo+ yet. Looking for some reviews from anyone who's using it.
It might still be over a month out, which is crazy frustrating. Have considered canceling my order tbh. Probably won’t since resale value is solid on it, but disappointed in the delays.

It might still be over a month out, which is crazy frustrating. Have considered canceling my order tbh. Probably won’t since resale value is solid on it, but disappointed in the delays.

Did you already pay for it?

Did you already pay for it?
Paid the day I ordered directly through them, early to mid-April.

In their defense, it was a “preorder”, but I think they should have asked for a $500 deposit instead of full payment since back then it was still considered a 8 week turnaround.

Latest date they said was “after the week of the 20th of July”. With the way shipping is delayed, it will have been around 20 weeks.

Paid the day I ordered directly through them, early to mid-April.

In their defense, it was a “preorder”, but I think they should have asked for a $500 deposit instead of full payment since back then it was still considered a 8 week turnaround.

Latest date they said was “after the week of the 20th of July”. With the way shipping is delayed, it will have been around 20 weeks.
If you ordered today it says minimum 14 weeks for Mevo+, SkyTrak says mid September and both ship by order date priority so who knows when anyone will actually get them.
Guess I have some time to decide what to do.

pulled the trigger on a regular mevo (used) today. Have an old SC100 laying around somewhere, was interested in the + but not ordering until they get caught up with the delays.

I do not work for Rapsodo - just to get that out there. I like their MLM primarily because of the shot video and tracing feature. I know some have seriously challenged it's accuracy when compared to traditional (and vastly more expensive) launch monitors. Rapsodo has pushed out several recent software updates that supposedly fix some of the accuracy issues.

I can't vouch for the results, but this is a video comparison they did recently comparing the Rapsodo MLM to Trackman. Assuming it's legit, I would think it would go a long way towards making the Rapsodo a viable and more affordable option.

@KY Golfer how far is Milam Tx from you? Because for some reason that's where the unit shipped to.

@KY Golfer how far is Milam Tx from you? Because for some reason that's where the unit shipped to.

I wonder why it's in Texas...could it be it shipped to Orlando...then to get it to you they had to go through Texas??? Odd, but who knows, hopefully you get it soon.

I wonder why it's in Texas...could it be it shipped to Orlando...then to get it to you they had to go through Texas??? Odd, but who knows, hopefully you get it soon.

I think it's a mistake.

Back