Least favorite book to movie spin-off

thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Sort of piggybacking off of the favorite movie thread with this, but as the topic says what's your least favorite book to movie conversion? For me it's hands down the Jack Reacher movies based on the Lee Child series. I can't get over casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, if you've ever read any of the books you know exactly what I mean. What say you?

The Shining. His character in the book was dark and horrifying, but almost comical in the movie.

The Fellowship of the Ring. Hated the movie, loved the book.

Sort of piggybacking off of the favorite movie thread with this, but as the topic says what's your least favorite book to movie conversion?
Peter Jackson's version of The Hobbit.

The Dark Tower.

No one has done it right yet, and never will.

The OP says it all. Lee Child’s Jack Reacher books are really good. Unfortunately Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher.

I just read "Ready Player One", and then watched the movie. I thought the book was so much better.

American Sniper

Needful Things.

Absolutely loved the book but the movie was complete trash.

Most probably never even heard of it (the movie I mean, considering those who didn't read the book).

Sort of piggybacking off of the favorite movie thread with this, but as the topic says what's your least favorite book to movie conversion? For me it's hands down the Jack Reacher movies based on the Lee Child series. I can't get over casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, if you've ever read any of the books you know exactly what I mean. What say you?

I just block it from my mid that Reacher is supposed to be a 6'5" giant. I thought the movie was entertaining though.

I thought The Hunger Games books were good. The movies...just ok

I thought The Maze Runner books were amazing but the movies were just awful. Totally butchered the books!

It's so funny because I have never read the books at all and I really liked the movies. I also agree on The Hobbit. The Hobbit is a shorter book than any of The Lord Of The Rings books and they made the 3 movies longer than The Lord Of The Rings. They just added too much fluff. I get it but it seemed too money grabby to me.

Hands down for me was Dune, loved the book, the movie..🤮

I just block it from my mid that Reacher is supposed to be a 6'5" giant. I thought the movie was entertaining though.
Completely agree that both movies were entertaining as all get out, but I couldn't get past it :LOL:. The first time I watched the show Vikings I saw Jack Reacher, the actor who plays Rollo was born to be Reacher.

I thought The Hunger Games books were good. The movies...just ok

I thought The Maze Runner books were amazing but the movies were just awful. Totally butchered the books!
I never read either of the book series. Yeah, the maze runner movies were a tough watch at times lol

Da Vinci Code
1607863610456.jpeg

Dune and Jack Reacher were such great books it was a shame the movies were terrible! Hopefully with the new JR series and Dune movie coming next year they will be able to fix that. The Lovely Bones was a great book but the movie was unwatchable!

That's two references to Dune. I may have to snag this so the next time I have free time i can read this.

I just read "Ready Player One", and then watched the movie. I thought the book was so much better.
100% agree, that said, I appreciate them trying to make the movie different on purpose in places knowing they couldn’t nail the book. It’s a decent flick.

Here's another vote for the Jack Reacher movies. I've read all the Reacher books and just can't get past Tom Cruise as Reacher. The movies were well done, but come on - Reacher is 6'5" and 240 lbs.

Back