Leatherworking Project - let's celebrate 7 million!

93civiccpe

#LunaticFringe / "Hips Don't Lie" - Shakira
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Leatherworking is one of my hobbies and I mainly have made functional items : axe sheaths, knife sheaths, gun holsters, belts, rifle slings, bracelets, and a compass case for my boy scout nephew. I have always stitched by hand which takes more time and is a pain. For Christmas I got a manual cobbler /shoe repair sewing machine which can sew through thick leather. They come in rough shape but with a trip to the hardware store, some filing /sanding, and minor modifications you can end with a very functional leather sewing machine.
20201230_205101.jpg
So I've done all the modifications and tested it out tonight and it stitches well. I figure why not attempt something golf related to celebrate 7 million. I have a couple ideas and this might end up with something cool or a complete train wreck but I figure why not bring you guys along. (quick note, I do have 3 young children so this may take some time). Don't hesitate to throw out ideas (or advice if anyone is more experienced than me).

Dude excited to see what you come up with!

Leatherworking is one of my hobbies and I mainly have made functional items : axe sheaths, knife sheaths, gun holsters, belts, rifle slings, bracelets, and a compass case for my boy scout nephew. I have always stitched by hand which takes more time and is a pain. For Christmas I got a manual cobbler /shoe repair sewing machine which can sew through thick leather. They come in rough shape but with a trip to the hardware store, some filing /sanding, and minor modifications you can end with a very functional leather sewing machine.
View attachment 8985392
So I've done all the modifications and tested it out tonight and it stitches well. I figure why not attempt something golf related to celebrate 7 million. I have a couple ideas and this might end up with something cool or a complete train wreck but I figure why not bring you guys along. (quick note, I do have 3 young children so this may take some time). Don't hesitate to throw out ideas (or advice if anyone is more experienced than me).
That is a FANTASTIC looking machine! I do leatherwork as well and have lusted over a sewing machine... especially when I've got my stitching horse saddled between my legs and I'm half way into a project.

As far as the 7 Million Project - it has to be a head cover. Something that can be customized but also shown off in the bag!

That’s so cool dude. Always like seeing that type of craft it takes so much talent . Good on you brother , looking forward to see some of your work

@93civiccpe Any idea what brand the sewing machine is? I've never come across a manual option before and now I'm super curious!

That is a FANTASTIC looking machine! I do leatherwork as well and have lusted over a sewing machine... especially when I've got my stitching horse saddled between my legs and I'm half way into a project.

As far as the 7 Million Project - it has to be a head cover. Something that can be customized but also shown off in the bag!
I love the saddle stitch as it's so strong but I'm looking forward to this. These machines can be had for $80-$100 new on eBay (search chinese cobbler sewing machine) and there are a ton of YouTube videos showing easy modifications to get it running smoothly. I'm looking forward to knocking out projects with it as hand stitching takes so long and my hands end up sore and cramping.

I love the saddle stitch as it's so strong but I'm looking forward to this. These machines can be had for $80-$100 new on eBay (search chinese cobbler sewing machine) and there are a ton of YouTube videos showing easy modifications to get it running smoothly. I'm looking forward to knocking out projects with it as hand stitching takes so long and my hands end up sore and cramping.
This my friend, is absolutely world changing to me! THANKS!

@93civiccpe Any idea what brand the sewing machine is? I've never come across a manual option before and now I'm super curious!
They are made somewhat crudely in China and there are many companies that sell them. If you go to Amazon or eBay and type in "Chinese cobbler sewing machine" you will see a ton. Here's a short YouTube video showing a guy using one :

If you get one I'm happy to walk through the simple mods I did to mine

They are made somewhat crudely in China and there are many companies that sell them. If you go to Amazon or eBay and type in "Chinese cobbler sewing machine" you will see a ton. Here's a short YouTube video showing a guy using one :

If you get one I'm happy to walk through the simple mods I did to mine

That's fantastic, thanks! I just did a super quick Ebay search and found a ton - some of them brand new with legs and everything... wow!

I'm going to watch that video now.

That's fantastic, thanks! I just did a super quick Ebay search and found a ton - some of them brand new with legs and everything... wow!

I'm going to watch that video now.
Always happy to pass along what I've learned. Mine came with the tripod base and legs but they are wobbly / not very stable so I made a quick base with scrap wood from other projects. Look for the US retailers if you want it to get to you quicker. Some on Amazon qualify for prime shipping and one manufacturer on Amazon improves the design by adding bearings(search ColouredPeas on Amazon for the improved design).

Always happy to pass along what I've learned. Mine came with the tripod base and legs but they are wobbly / not very stable so I made a quick base with scrap wood from other projects. Look for the US retailers if you want it to get to you quicker. Some on Amazon qualify for prime shipping and one manufacturer on Amazon improves the design by adding bearings(search ColouredPeas on Amazon for the improved design).
That machine is incredible! It made such easy work of three layers of what looked like around 10 oz leather!

Sounds like making a base is the way to go then. Good with me since I'd probably want to have it on my workbench anyhow. Appreciate the tips about added bearings!

I'm working on the plans for a mallet and a blade headcover. Once I have the designs drawn out I will get them up. Hoping that I will have at least one mocked up in the next 24 hours

That machine is incredible! It made such easy work of three layers of what looked like around 10 oz leather!

Sounds like making a base is the way to go then. Good with me since I'd probably want to have it on my workbench anyhow. Appreciate the tips about added bearings!
There's another video where the guy sews through a car tire with it which sold me. If you get one, definitely get new leather needles with it. (I think they were $5 for a pack on Amazon). The ones that come with it are meant more for denim /fabric and can break if you go through thick leather. The chisel tip leather needles go through just about anything.

There's another video where the guy sews through a car tire with it which sold me. If you get one, definitely get new leather needles with it. (I think they were $5 for a pack on Amazon). The ones that come with it are meant more for denim /fabric and can break if you go through thick leather. The chisel tip leather needles go through just about anything.
Yeah, that makes absolute sense. I'd expect the needles coming with a machine like that to be fairly cheap.

So, I'm not sure if I'll actually get a pattern made out of paper tonight (not sure what is in store with it being new years eve) but I have been milling over design ideas. Most putter (and driver / fairway) covers are made with a thin leather skin with a soft backing and then a design embroidered. I'm thinking instead to use a thicker leather with no backing (natural). I want to be able to stamp /tool a design in it and that should make it unique. I think I want one of the edges shown while sewn and I think I can pull that off with the stitcher.

I know you're talking headcover, but I have a hand made leather wallet that i love. Maybe an option in the future!

I know you're talking headcover, but I have a hand made leather wallet that i love. Maybe an option in the future!
I made a minimal one once which turned out awesome. I'm excited that I can make items like that a lot quicker with the leather stitching machine!

Very cool. I love seeing the creative stuff some of you guys do.

@93civiccpe How about a billfold / money clip like this? (I know someone who’s Bandon money clip / billfold is falling apart and might just be willing to buy it from you)

D0BDED8B-ECD0-47E6-BE86-E750207CE7CD.jpeg

I love following along with projects like this!

A rawhide Mavrik driver cover with the Grandaddy logo would be amazing. I could store it for you in my bag :ROFLMAO:

@93civiccpe How about a billfold / money clip like this? (I know someone who’s Bandon money clip / billfold is falling apart and might just be willing to buy it from you)

View attachment 8985809
That looks sharp.. And a very simple design. I like it! Let me add it to the list. The only challenging thing may be finding a source for the money clip

Back