Leatherworking Project - let's celebrate 7 million!

Quick update, my plan was to cut the leather and start working it yesterday afternoon. On a whim I decided to attempt to single handedly install a zip line I got for the family as a Christmas present. That was a nightmare but it's up. Unfortunately I tore my hands up (a couple small cuts) but the bigger issue was that my hands were extremely sore and cramped. I'm attempting to play catchup and have a video on the machine that I hope to post later.

Man this has been a fun follow. I scorecard holder & wallet would be awesome.

The blade mock up look great! Rest those hands up.

So.. I went to transfer the pattern to leather and cut it out but was mistaken with the weight of leather I had in stock. When I pulled the leather out I realized it is the wrong weight (too thin) so I ordered two more double shoulders of the thicker leather that I need and hopefully it gets here soon. (the Tandy Leather store that I was lucky to have right up the road closed for good during covid lock down). I will cut out the paper pattern I made for the mallet cover and then move on to the wallet design and pattern creation as the thinner leather is perfect for that!

Oh, and I was debating whether to post this or record it again but what the heck. Sorry I ramble a bit but I had written down the questions I received along with the areas I wanted to cover and once I hit record the paper was no where to be found. I did cover what I want but it is not as short and to the point as I had hoped :

So.. I went to transfer the pattern to leather and cut it out but was mistaken with the weight of leather I had in stock. When I pulled the leather out I realized it is the wrong weight (too thin) so I ordered two more double shoulders of the thicker leather that I need and hopefully it gets here soon. (the Tandy Leather store that I was lucky to have right up the road closed for good during covid lock down). I will cut out the paper pattern I made for the mallet cover and then move on to the wallet design and pattern creation as the thinner leather is perfect for that!
That's a shame about the Tandy store closing. I hear that's fairly common, unfortunately!

Good call on the anti-rust and plastic-dip! Thanks for posting this video! It's going to help me out a ton when I get a chance to order one of these for myself!

Really looking forward to seeing your projects come to fruition!

@tequila4kapp something arrived. I sent a pm with some questions about the money clip. Started working on the design tonight.20210104_223557.jpg

Looks like something I would lose a finger in trying to use it.

Just the spring clips (money clips) for making leather bifold wallets

Unless you are referring to the manual sewing machine.. And then yes, there's always a chance I injure myself.. 🤣

Yes, the later.

Leatherworking is one of my hobbies and I mainly have made functional items : axe sheaths, knife sheaths, gun holsters, belts, rifle slings, bracelets, and a compass case for my boy scout nephew. I have always stitched by hand which takes more time and is a pain. For Christmas I got a manual cobbler /shoe repair sewing machine which can sew through thick leather. They come in rough shape but with a trip to the hardware store, some filing /sanding, and minor modifications you can end with a very functional leather sewing machine.
View attachment 8985392
So I've done all the modifications and tested it out tonight and it stitches well. I figure why not attempt something golf related to celebrate 7 million. I have a couple ideas and this might end up with something cool or a complete train wreck but I figure why not bring you guys along. (quick note, I do have 3 young children so this may take some time). Don't hesitate to throw out ideas (or advice if anyone is more experienced than me).

Maybe some leather joggers and a clutch for @Canadan? :p:LOL:

Getting this back up to date. I have some patterns laid out for the wallet which I ran past @tequila4kapp. The issue is that this leather though thin might stack up and get too thick. The plan is to have 2 external card holders and a picture holder and ID slot on the inside with the money clip. If it's getting too thick I may remove the ID slot.
20210108_002840.jpg

So then I cut out the pieces and attempted to thin (skive) the leather. For those who aren't as familiar with leather, the majority of the strength comes from the skin side. You can remove most of the backing thickness and it still remain strong. My skiving machine is normally great for this and makes quick work of it. 20210109_225639.jpg

Unfortunately on thin soft leather it sometimes struggles so instead you can skive it by hand which is slower and you have to be really careful not to slice through the leather. (plus it's messy). 20210109_225232.jpg

Current status, the pieces are cut and @tequila4kapp has given me his color preferences. I only have black, white, and cream thread for the leather stitching machine. Frank suggested black or one of the brown dyes for the leather. I think I'm going to go with one of the brown finishes with black thread and edge dressing. Tomorrow I hope to start finishing the leather and getting it ready to stitch. 20210109_234226.jpg

That progression is really something to see.

Shaun was kind enough to offer numerous color options. I left it to him but expressed a preference for one of the more traditional color combos. Brown with black stitching will look great!

It has been interesting to learn that there are choices to make with the design around how things are oriented - basically stuff I’ve never thought about when I’ve purchased off the shelf.

Thanks again for doing this @93civiccpe!

Last edited:
Current status, the pieces are cut and @tequila4kapp has given me his color preferences. I only have black, white, and cream thread for the leather stitching machine. Frank suggested black or one of the brown dyes for the leather. I think I'm going to go with one of the brown finishes with black thread and edge dressing. Tomorrow I hope to start finishing the leather and getting it ready to stitch. View attachment 8987384
The progress is awesome! Keep it up, Shaun!

Spent tonight trying to see how much tooling I can do to a thin leather. I have an idea in mind that I do believe I can pull off but we'll see. (only a small part and if it fails I have a backup piece ready to go). Oh, and a tall box arrived that should have two double shoulders of the heavier (thicker) leather that I need for the headcovers. I'll swap back over to that as I finish this one up. (perfect timing as there is a lot of waiting time when you dye, add oils, and seal leather). 20210110_215554.jpg

Back