WLG1952

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I watch a biographical account of Trevino's golf journey. I had previously only known about his pro golf exploits. I didn't know about his golf life prior to his turning oro.

He was definitely a fan favorite, and his game was respected by those he played against.

With all the crazy stuff that's going on in pro golf today, here's my question.

Could pro golf use another Trevino personality today?

Last edited:
Is Phil Mickelson somewhat comparable? Shoots from the hip. Some love him, some hate him. Fun for the conversation. We don’t need 125 vanilla tour pros. Good to spice it up.

happy gilmore no GIF

Just kidding, sure it could.

Give me Chi Chi Rodriguez any day!!!
IMG_7923.gif

Trevino is one of the guys is love to play a round with.

Great guy! My dad and I used to follow him at the old Pensacola Open PGA Tour event. Very fan friendly. I actually played against one of his sons in a high school golf match many moons ago.

Phil and maybe John Daly are the closet to that but I don't see any newer players like this. Golf can always use a little levity

I went to a Senior PGA Tour event at Loch Lloyd in KC back in the early 90s and followed a group with Lee Trevino and Chi Chi most of the day. That was a joy to watch those two play. Great memories.

Last edited:
The short answer: yes, absolutely.

The long answer: in my opinion there is so much money being earned by players from sponsorships which means they have to watch every word out of their mouths that it could never happen in today's climate. I won't mention the p-word, because that's another reason Lee couldn't be Lee today.

The thing was, he not only spoke his mind but also performed on the golf course which made people respect him. But above all he was thankful for all of the opportunities that golf afforded him.

I went to a Senior PGA Tour event at Loch Lloyd in KC back in the early 90s and followed a group with Lee Trevino and Chi Chi most of the day. That was a joy to watch those to play. Great memories.
I and several of my co-workers got to play in Senior PGA pro-ams (me in 1996 and 2001) and, you are right, following Trevino and Chi Chi was fun. However, guys who played with them in the pro-ams didn't get the interaction with them that we all got with other pros we were paired with. Both Trevino and Chi Chi were more interested in playing to the gallery than paying much attention to their playing partners.

I think golf could always use another Trevino personality. He was funny, witty and entertaining.

Trevino was a Dr. Jekill, Mr. Hyde back in the day. On the course he would talk to anybody, sign autographs and carry on. He could get very moody and down right sully off the course though. Cheech on the other hand was quite friendly no matter where you met him.

On the women's side, Angel Yin appears to be quite a character.

I watch a biographical account of Trevino's golf journey. I had previously only known about his pro golf exploits. I didn't know about his golf life prior to his turning oro.

He was definitely a fan favorite, and his game was respected by those he played against.

With all the crazy stuff that's going on in pro golf today, here's my question.

Could pro golf use another Trevino personality today?
Trevino came from no money and much of his personality is a reflection of that. Nearly all current Tour pros come from financially privileged backgrounds.

Old Lee Trevino story that floats around Dallas:

Lee is mowing his lawn in an affluent part of town. Snooty rich lady pulls up and asks him what he charges for his services. Lee responds: “Nothing. The lady that lives here lets me sleep with her.”

Absolutely , colourful and personality with politeness and ability and skill that reaped tournament wins …

Should be a subject for rookies and those on the way up ,,, yes you maybe good at this game , but being good to people counts equally …

Trevino would likely have been dismissed early on - if his talent had not backed up his mouth. You can talk a bunch of junk - but, if you can’t provide a game to go along with it you won’t last long.

Most definitely. Still remember going to Turnies in the late 80s as fresh Newlyweds following Lee and Fuzy, herring their conversations from the ropes. Always a joke and about the shot they hit. It was as if you were right there with them having a drink, chatting Golf. Tiger's more open now, enjoying Golf and Fans not Just Tunnel Vision for the next Shot. Guy yells out to Tiger, "I'm open", and Tiger tosses his Ball laughing the whole time. No one in the Crowd will forget that moment.

Back