Left hand low - how long to feel comfortable?

ken_h

Perpetual Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
10.5 GHIN
Had a playing lesson with my instructor today which went really well, but the biggest takeaway was that I totally dominate my putting stroke with my right hand, so I'm seriously considering going left hand low to help eliminate it. I played 5 holes or so today with it and it felt completely awkward, but I did have a few good putts. For those who have made the switch, how long did it take until you felt comfortable with it?

Last edited:
I can go back and forth now, but it took a while. Probably a good couple months of trying it off and on

I used it in the basement putting starting in October 2015. I put it to use in sim golf in December 2015. I really just got completely comfortable with it at the beginning of July 2016. So for me it took along time. But everyone is different. For me it gives me a more fundamentally sound stroke. I haven't made so many 15 to 30 footers in my life like I have with LHL.

Not long on short putts but I have never been able to get comfortable on putts of 20 or more feet. Don't really understand why but it's true!

I fiddled around with it on the putting green for a while but once I committed to it I was comfortable within a couple weeks.

I fiddled around with it on the putting green for a while but once I committed to it I was comfortable within a couple weeks.
You're kind of a freak of golf nature though

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I try it every now and then. I have yet to feel comfortable. Takes forever just to get hands on the grip

i have started going left hand low sometimes in march, my short putting improved dramatically and struggled feeling comfortable with it with long putts. It is now second nature and right hand low feels awkward. I dont ever see myself switching back. Left hand low is the way to go!

When I went to a belly putter, everything I read on it said it took about 1,000 putts to get comfortable with it. So I am going with 1,000 putts.

I did left hand low for a full year and part of another. Overall, putted about the same and conventional. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. But usually the same.

Same as with the belly putter, which is why I went back to conventional.

I was ok wth it when I started really working on it in early March and then by about June it was natural. Now it just feels really good and is something I've been happy with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started in January of 2015. I would say by June I was comfortable. Now I am to the point where conventional feels weird.

Try the pencil grip, or whatever it's called, like Sergio or Phil. Any variation similar should help without feeling as awkward.

i switched to conventional about a month ago after gaming lhl for about 16 years. every time before when i would try it, i would hate it. then one evening it clicked at home, and took it to the practice green and it felt great. i don't think i'm putting any better yet, but it's still very new and at least it's a different look than what i was doing before.

I've been putting left hand low for 15 years. It took one round to used to it.

I've been left hand low for so long now that going to a traditional grip feels really really weird.

There is a break in period but the best thing to do is just putt at home for a 10 to 15 minutes a day using left hand low and it shouldn't take much time for it to feel natural.

Had a playing lesson with my instructor today which went really well, but the biggest takeaway was that I totally dominate my putting stroke with my right hand, so I'm seriously considering going left hand low to help eliminate it. I played 5 holes or so today with it and it felt completely awkward, but I did have a few good putts. For those who have made the switch, how long did it take until you felt comfortable with it?

Took me a few weeks to get used to left hand low. I like it because I am left side dominant in my putting stroke. Why did your instructor say using the right side was bad? What are you trying to accomplish going left side low because you can still use the right hand in a left hand low stroke.

I absolutely love the feel of lhl but find I push puts more often with it. Maybe I'll work on it over the winter. LHL just feels natural and comfortable to me.

Took me a few weeks to get used to left hand low. I like it because I am left side dominant in my putting stroke. Why did your instructor say using the right side was bad? What are you trying to accomplish going left side low because you can still use the right hand in a left hand low stroke.

He didn't say using the right side was bad necessarily, but I'm basically pushing the putter head with my right wrist during my stroke causing all sort of issues, even when I don't think I'm doing it. Going left hand low will make it easier to eliminate that move, even though it's still possible to do.

I have never attempted this method. May need to someday so I'll remember the answers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back