Brando83

Reaction score
Hey I have a problem with slicing the ball off my drive is it in may stance or my hands

Slicer here too, reporting for class. I have to remember to adjust my grip to a stronger grip. That seems to help 75% of the time.

RH slicer a part of this special club as well. For me what's helped is flattening out my back swing and a stronger left hand (right in your case) grip.

Will tell u what has worked for me. Defo not proper/right but it works for me.

I had to change my stance to unorthodox one.

I keep my right foot lined up with the ball. Right toe pointed out slightly.

My left foot I drag back and behind me until it feels uncomfortable.

Straightened me out great. Once in a awhile I actually draw right but slice is all gone.

Experiment with various setups of your feet with club open/closed.

Oh and for me I only slice my driver like that. My irons my stance is straight and my woods maybe slightly back but nothing like driver.

See here:

90ea23d0f6f1b5e97e3112fbaeba77c9.jpg

Last edited:
Someone may want to move this out of the contest forum into the swing help forum to get more responses but slicing can happen for a variety of reasons.

My slice has gotten better from lessons where we worked on my takeaway and creating width on the backswing but the biggest piece was setting up and holding the proper spine tilt throughout the swing to stop me from coming over the top. I still slice occasionally when my hands end up leaving the club face too open.

I am probably cupping my left wrist too, i.e. bending it upwards, at the top of the backswing. I try to keep the wrist straight but it is very difficult to do that . It feels so unnatural.

PS: I am a righty

Last edited:
Lefty Slicer here too. Was driving me crazy since I have a very good setup and tempo. I don't swing over the top, I rotate my hips well and drop the club into the slot when starting my downward swing. Yet the ball would take off perfectly straight and then take a massive left turn 100 yards out. My problem was coming into the ball with an open clubface and not square. It took my 15 yr old to tell me to "close the door" on my down swing to square the clubface. When starting the downswing a little adjustment of the wrists (like you are turning a doorknob) did the trick for me to square the clubface. How much turn depends on how open your clubface is on impact.

Hey I have a problem with slicing the ball off my drive is it in may stance or my hands

Slice is path.

Swing more to the left for you, should help.

Stronger grip will help as well.

Shut the face in the backswing can help.

Slice is path.

I play lefty and sometimes feel like a freak. My swing is pretty awful. Some days I have no idea at all where the next shot is going.

But in all the time I've played golf, I've never consistently sliced the ball. Yes, a random slice here or there mixed in with the hooks/pulls/pushes/tops/fats/duffs. But never been able to say, "I'm a slicer".

How can I be so very bad for so very long without being part of Team Slicer?

Righty here but I have found when my slice starts creeping around that it's due to me not paying attention to ball position. To far forward in my stance and I start cutting across the ball.

Back