Length and Lie adjustment Struggles

claycribbs

Fear the Dolphin Swag!
Reaction score
Handicap
I got my irons fit FINALLY! and went out for my 1st round with them today. I got them added 3/4th of an inch and 1.5* more uprights and ball striking was a struggle today. Anyone else experience that? I'm assuming it gets better as you get used to it?

I got my Ping i15s completely fitted - from using the shaft optimizer to the length and lie. Only really starting to get used to them now after almost three months.

Very pleased with them now though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hear it takes a while to get used to them, as when they aren't fitted you try to hit them the way they want you to, so you have to get used to hitting how you want to.

Who fit you? I have found that after my clubs are adjusted I usually hit the ball really well. Your new set up is pretty drastic. I can only assume that you are a taller person.

Who fit you? I have found that after my clubs are adjusted I usually hit the ball really well. Your new set up is pretty drastic. I can only assume that you are a taller person.

Yes. I'm 6'2"

I have NOT been fit for clubs but plan to be fit for my next purchase. That said, I will expect to hit the ball better than ever right away. Seems to me properly fit clubs match your swing no matter how good or bad it is.

When I buy a tailored suit it fits right away. (It might not fit so well after a few good meals)

I would expect to get better performance pretty quickly but I've never been fitted either.

Are you pull hooking the ball now Clay?

I have found that I hit the ball better after a fitting for clubs or an adjustment on my existing clubs. I recommend some range time and if you are not hitting them well that you take them back in to be checked again.

Clay I have been struggling with my new custom fit irons as well (R11's), I am 1 club shorter in distance and hitting a lot of shots off the toe, most of them straight but short

Clay I have been struggling with my new custom fit irons as well (R11's), I am 1 club shorter in distance and hitting a lot of shots off the toe, most of them straight but short

Interesting. Sounds a lot like me.

I am thinking of getting my clubs fit to me soon. I hope I don't go through much of this, but I should have plenty of time to practice before next season.

I hit my clubs better the instant they were fit.

My adjustment was quite severe, +1" and 2 degrees upright. The difference was noticeably visible at address.

Since my clubs were so far off, I was compensating by contorting my swing in order to hit the ball properly.

Once they were fit, I was able to use a more natural golf swing right away with great results.

I'm guessing by your handicap that you have been playing a long time and have grooved your swing rather well to work with your old setup. It will probably take awhile for you to get used to the new length and lie. Stick with it, I'm sure it will be for the best in the long run.

I have been playing for many years but never had the lie adjusted on my clubs, even the last set I purchased. I am standard length. For some reason the fitter told me I did not need it even though you could tell the toe was digging in. I have always noticed the divots were very deep at the toe and not square. So when I purchased this set, I insisted on getting the lie adjusted to fit my swing path. Turned out 2* was the fit. For the first 1/4 of the year, my tendency was to pull the ball (which makes sense). I have gotten use to the "correct configuration for my swing" and everything is good now. I don't think height is the only variable when taking about lie/length, it more comes down to setup and swing. Good luck, get fit right the first time, have it checked annually and you'll be good to go for life.

To hear that you are hitting the ball consistently off the toe is a bit odd. If you weren't really hitting it there before, and then you had your irons bent upright, you shouldn't be remotely close to the toe, if anything, I would expect you to be more towards the heel. It's probably a swing thing and not an iron thing. It could very much be a mental thing going on, where you might be expecting better results b/c the irons fit to you.

To hear that you are hitting the ball consistently off the toe is a bit odd. If you weren't really hitting it there before, and then you had your irons bent upright, you shouldn't be remotely close to the toe, if anything, I would expect you to be more towards the heel. It's probably a swing thing and not an iron thing. It could very much be a mental thing going on, where you might be expecting better results b/c the irons fit to you.

That could be it as well, I know with my old clubs I would miss on the toe every once in awhile but with the new fit clubs its 10x more. Crazy stuff I tell ya lol. I am making a appointment with my guy this weekend to get the lie's checked so we will see.

Wow? Did I say toe? I did mean heal..... sorry. I did play today and it was much better. I guess the more I play, the more I will get used to them. But some are still on the heal. BUt I hit a lot of solid shots today.

Wow? Did I say toe? I did mean heal..... sorry. I did play today and it was much better. I guess the more I play, the more I will get used to them. But some are still on the heal. BUt I hit a lot of solid shots today.

Glad its getting better clay, hopefully mine will as well.

Standard shaft length depends on the manufacturer. I'm 6'2" with a 34.5" wrist to the floor. That's a standard for Taylor Made and Adams clubs. I looked a the specs for a lot of clubs. I believe the 7 irons is the clubs they base the length on. They all have their own idea of the proper club length. One fitter I talked to said he took the measurements. Used them against the Ping chart and added or subtracted that from the standard. I found that strange since I found 2 different standard charts. I wonder if there is any really right length for height and distance from the floor or if it's really just what feels right with your stance and posture.

Back