Lengthening wedges?

Sooner21

I miss football
Reaction score
Handicap
My iron set has been fitted for +3/4" and I was wondering if I should lengthen my 52*, 56*, and 60* wedges also? If so 3/4" or less? Thanks in advance.

My iron set has been fitted for +3/4" and I was wondering if I should lengthen my 52*, 56*, and 60* wedges also? If so 3/4" or less? Thanks in advance.

I've always believed that wedges should all be the same length and that they should either be a step shorter, or the same length as the 9-iron. The reason for this is because if all of the lengths are equal, then the only difference is the loft and that's all you'd have to deal with. If the lengths continued to get shorter as the lofts got higher, I think too many variables and too much "I wonder if...?" type stuff happens. Simple is better, in my opinion, and knowing that the only difference between one wedge and another is the loft simplifies things very much.

That's my two cents worth.

All wedges should be the same length, imo. Also, if your entire set is 3/4" over mfg stnd, then your wedges should be 3/4" over stnd as well.

All wedges should be the same length, imo. Also, if your entire set is 3/4" over mfg stnd, then your wedges should be 3/4" over stnd as well.

Agree with you. If your set is +3/4" longer than so should your wedges.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

So should I make all my wedges the same length or put them all 3/4" over what they are now? The wedges aren't all the same length now.

I had all of my clubs lengthened 3/4", including my wedges. I do not have them all the same length, I just tacked on 3/4" to what was standard. You may want to look at the length progression of your irons and keep that same progression down to your wedges. I.E. - if your 9i is 1/2" shorter than your 8i, you may want to make your PW 1/2" shorter than your 9i, your GW 1/2" shorter than your PW, ect...

So should I make all my wedges the same length or put them all 3/4" over what they are now? The wedges aren't all the same length now.

I have mine set at the same length as my PW which is set 1/2-inch shorter than my 9-iron (standard progression).

Works like a charm for me!

I actually have my wedges standard length compared to +1/2 for my irons. That is probably just my swing preference though. I found myself taking too much of a divot at +1/2 for some reason. Since the change I have had a much more consistant wedge game.

My clubs are all +1". I played with standard length wedges for a while and decided to lengthen them. Best decision I have ever made. I am boatloads more accurate with them now.

Thanks for all your replies guys. Looks like I'm probably gonna get them lengthened.

I agree!

Great question here, and you will get mixed answers depending on who you ask. I am a big fan of stepping the wedges down a 1/4 inch. Meaning what you PW was built at for you next wedge go 1/4 inch shorter and so on down the line. This will help with the yardage gaping and the need for extra length.

Thanks Andy

I agree with Andy's answer. One thought is to make sure you get your lie angles correct for your sand and lob wedge as these wedges need to be 1 to 2 degrees flatter then the rest of the irons and any time you adjust length the lie angle changes. When I check my students lie angles with the clubs they use around the greens I do not have them make full swings but use swings they use like short chips, pitch shots, etc... If the lie angle is not correct then the player will not be able use the bounce of the club correcty either.

GolfTEC
Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional

Thanks Patrick and good to have you and GolfTec helping out here.

Back