Lessons at 55 after playing for 40 yrs.

burmbuster

Reaction score
Handicap
A little background on my playing history, I started playing at 15 and played almost weekly into my late twenties. Consistently shot low 80's and then life happens. Kids get older, baseball, dance recitals, etc. Started playing consistently again around 10 yrs ago. It has been a struggle. I couldn't even take my driver out of my bag. Never actually had one in my bag for quite some time. Just irons and hybrids. My swing was simply gone. Don't use it, you lose it. As much as I have always enjoyed the game, for the first time in my life I was starting to not enjoy it so I decided to take some lessons. Went to 1.50 Golf and glad I did. Best move I have ever made. Of course the want to up sell as much as they can but I first got a new set of irons and was fitted. They wanted me to invest in a 10 lesson plan but I am still very athletic and coordination was not a problem. I felt I just needed a jump start to get pointed in the right direction so I got a 6 lesson package. My grip has always been strong and according to the instructor its easier to change your swing than your grip so thats what we did. I now play a very consistent draw when before it was a fade to a hard slice. I did have to figure a few things out myself on the range but if you are considering lessons at a later age DO IT. It pays of in spades.

Last edited:
I was somewhat you at 55 as well. Was quite content with my game and played well, but at 55 everything went haywire. I became a mess of quick fixes. Finally at a playing partners urging and recommendation to his pro, I broke down and took a lesson. Absolutely the best thing I could have ever done. In hindsight, he actually only changed 3 things, and I was hitting it out of the back of the range. My game is heading downhill, as now at 65, aging is more of the problem, but when things start to go awry, It always revolves around the 3 changes I made that day.

My story is much like yours but at best I never got better then mid-80s even though I played 100 round a year, practiced and took lessons. During young childeren at home period I went to maybe 2 rounds a year and I only counted par/birdie when I played and normally picked up at double boggie. As I started to look at my 50's I decided improve my fundamentals or stop. i'm not going to be happy playing 100 rounds a year again and digging dirt. The lesson thing I tried but I found instructors want to work with childeren and had one ask me why I wanted lessons at my age. one guy wanted to teach me his golf system vs looking at my swing.

So I went to self study on fundamentals using books. This has aided my improvement. Then I added daily "small batch practice" starting with chipping and working my way into a full swing. this has helped greatly, plan-do-check-improve almost dailly and helps muscle memory. something else I added 5 years ago was golf conditioning/balance to my morning workouts. and accidently I found a passion for putting and working on that part of my game

I'm now nearing retirement and can walk courses 2-3 times a week and play an acceptable and always improving game of golf. Conditioning and self study was slow but has helped me improve and to know how to learn. Not sure I am still playing golf if my only action was to take a lesson and learn some teachers system.

Good advice...if you can find a good instructor. I'm not sure the path to becoming a PGA professional includes learning how to teach the golf swing. If you can find a good instructor, I have a few thoughts...

Any changes to one's golf swing requires a lot of patience. I've read stories of some Tour players taking up to a year to get comfortable with a new swing. Many people take lessons then give up on what they were taught because they aren't seeing results fast enough.

I was never one for frequent lessons. Until I "mastered" what I learned in the previous lesson, I never saw the point of taking another lesson.

I'm a big advocate of developing a good short game. You don't need to be young or athletic to have a good short game (I'm 68), and it's a real stroke saver. Probably the best lesson I ever had was for the short game.

Have a great season. (y)

Any changes to one's golf swing requires a lot of patience. I've read stories of some Tour players taking up to a year to get comfortable with a new swing. Many people take lessons then give up on what they were taught because they aren't seeing results fast enough.

(y)

x3 on this. When in my younger years I took lessons, most of of did not stick. In my later years, I see how many weeks of daily "small batch practice" sessions I need to engrain something and it makes clear why past attempts and a single range session during the week and a round on the weekend did not let me improve.

Played in my teens and shot high 80s then life took over and didn't swing a club until retirement 2 years ago in my 60s.

My swing came back very fast but then I started looking at YT videos, taking lessons in which each instructor has a different take on a golf swing, switching clubs, and reading way too many swing tips online and my swing went to crap.

I had a great swing in my teens by just reading golf magazines that came out once a month.

I was better off when there was no internet and YouTube and couldn't afford to keep switching clubs. There is just TOO much swing advice, swing videos, swing opinions, swing thoughts, swing drills, swing coaches blah, blah blah. :banghead:

I've been going back to simplicity and stopping overthinking a golf swing as it will drive you crazy. An announcer on the DPWT I believe it was Tony who said "Too many players are over-coached these days" and I agree with him. That's just me and everyone has to do what's right for them individually, there is no one-size-fits-all approach.

I wish you the best with your journey back to the game.

Completely agree lessons, at any age, can help improve your game and thus your overall enjoyment as well. I‘ve had I think two lessons since I was 55. And both made a significant difference in my game, resulting in lowering my handicap.
I believe going into a lesson with a specific articulated goal is huge. A few years ago I had a lesson where I simply told the Pro I wanted to take the left side out of the course. One lesson, a couple swing thoughts, and bam!! the left miss was basically gone. I hit the ball so much straighter.
Regardless of your age, a lesson or two can rid a huge amount of frustration and anguish over this crazy game.

50 years of golf and I still need a tune up a couple times a year. I have had the same coach for 45 years.

I think after 45 years of playing golf on a some what regular basis, if I could find a swing instructor who catered to old guys like me, and knew what they were doing, I'd probably give them a try.

My problem is I just don't think that person exists in my area of So. Nevada.

Another issue I have is that I was spoiled by a very qualified swing instructor, who was also a very qualified club fitter, and builder. To find another golf guru like this is most likely impossible around here.

I miss the old days. 😒

50 years of golf and I still need a tune up a couple times a year. I have had the same coach for 45 years.

you have a dream situation! Totally different trying to find someone to help the +50 community if you start from zero

I think after 45 years of playing golf on a some what regular basis, if I could find a swing instructor who catered to old guys like me, and knew what they were doing, I'd probably give them a try.

My problem is I just don't think that person exists in my area of So. Nevada.

Another issue I have is that I was spoiled by a very qualified swing instructor, who was also a very qualified club fitter, and builder. To find another golf guru like this is most likely impossible around here.

I miss the old days. 😒

While an in-person lesson is preferable, with technology nowadays, you can take a lesson from a great coach anywhere.

Back