Let’s talk grass

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
After not playing any golf for a month and a half, I played a round yesterday at Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. Those of you who have played it know what a unique course it is. This year, the course did not over seed the dormant Bermuda. The fairways were very fast, but dormant Bermuda gives you no margin of error with your ball striking. Every lie is a thin lie. It got me thinking about different grasses. I truly think that that dormant Bermuda is the most challenging for me, particularly because I have a shallow attack angle.

How about it, THPers, what grass do you love or not love so much for you game?

All our rough is Bermuda, and it's all dormant this time of year. I agree that it's brutal - and while it's no picnic when it's flourishing, it's even worse when it's dormant. You really have to watch the grain - if you're hitting with it, your club can slide right through and skull it; if you're hitting against it, it can grab your club and stop it dead.

I don't know that I really have a preference for ball striking. I kind of like desert bermuda like that. The lies are tight, but pretty consistent. While most fairways are tight here, they're also really soft and less consistent because of that. And the softer and fluffier bermuda rough can be a nightmare for a shallow swinger on anything that settles and for a steeper one that runs into a false bottom lie. So I guess fluffy bermuda is my least favorite. I don't really mind anything tight because there's less variation to fight.

That's a great course. It would be fun to play in that condition. I might get a chance at it if we get moved into the new house in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't know that I really have a preference for ball striking. I kind of like desert bermuda like that. The lies are tight, but pretty consistent. While most fairways are tight here, they're also really soft and less consistent because of that. And the softer and fluffier bermuda rough can be a nightmare for a shallow swinger on anything that settles and for a steeper one that runs into a false bottom lie. So I guess fluffy bermuda is my least favorite. I don't really mind anything tight because there's less variation to fight.
They grew our Bermuda rough up this summer to help protect it from the heat, and it was frustratingly tough. So long and fluffy that you could lose your ball a foot off the fairway even after seeing it go in - and if you had to hit out of it, it was just hack and slash and hope to get it back on short grass.

They grew our Bermuda rough up this summer to help protect it from the heat, and it was frustratingly tough. So long and fluffy that you could lose your ball a foot off the fairway even after seeing it go in - and if you had to hit out of it, it was just hack and slash and hope to get it back on short grass.
It really blew my mind my first summer on in. When they talk about the pros that grow up on bermuda and how comfortable they are on it for this shot or that compared to others, they're not kidding. It takes some experience to known what you can and can't do/try out of some of those lies. IF you can find it! :LOL:

I struggle with zoyzia. I just seem to hit it fat over and over when I play on zoyzia.

For us old folks I thought this thread was about cannabis, I’ll move on.

I agree that dormant Bermuda can be tough to hit off of given the ball doesn’t sit up as well.

It really blew my mind my first summer on in. When they talk about the pros that grow up on bermuda and how comfortable they are on it for this shot or that compared to others, they're not kidding. It takes some experience to known what you can and can't do/try out of some of those lies. IF you can find it! :LOL:

When it’s all you know, you just know what to expect. I remember playing on bent and ryegrass rough for the first time and oh man, it was fun seeing how much the ball was jumping out of compared to Bermuda.

I struggle with zoyzia. I just seem to hit it fat over and over when I play on zoyzia.
I love zoysia grass. Ball sits up nicely when green. It does suck when dormant, it lays funky and you don’t know how if the club will react the same everytime. It depends really on how it was mowed for the last time of the year.

kikuyu, zoysia and st Augustine ( not used specifically on courses but it gets into some in the SE) . Really unpredictable how the ball might come out and if the grass will really grab the club head

I love zoysia grass. Ball sits up nicely when green. It does suck when dormant, it lays funky and you don’t know how if the club will react the same everytime. It depends really on how it was mowed for the last time of the year.
I think being a steeper swinger it makes it really easy to get underneath the ball and hit pop ups.

The best grass for me is Bent. Bermuda is one that I struggle with which is good because none of it is in my area.

I have only played on Bermuda once. Here I think it’s mostly rye grasses but honestly not sure..

My old course when I was young was zoysia and I miss it.

I really prefer dormant Bermuda lies to some of the other grasses in the winter months. It doesn’t sit up high but it’s pretty darn consistent. It’s pretty good practice because it gets easier in the spring.

We have tifeagle greens and bermuda everywhere else at my home course. The fluff around the greens usually keeps thw ball up but when it’s down in there it can get tough to get it out.

For us old folks I thought this thread was about cannabis, I’ll move on.

I thought the same thing. My big problem was Humboldt County Sensimilla!

I've never played on Bermuda, but a couple of my buddies did when they went down to Florida. The starter happened to be a fellow, former Ohioan, and asked them if they'd ever played on Bermuda before. They said no, and he told them they might want to play the ball a bit further back in their stance. When they told me about it they said, "Back in our stance? How about behind our stance!"

They had one hell of a time with it!

Back