Lets chat about Centershaft Putters

El Presidente for the Center Shaft Putter Support Group reporting for duty!

I effing love center shaft putters. There's something about it that feels extremely natural to me. In my mind it makes sense to have the shaft right behind or near the sweet spot and where the ball is positioned. I also feel like my left and right miss is less than something with a toe hang. I'm sure this is just my goofy mind at work but it seems like a good idea to have the shaft inserted in to the same spot that the impact of the ball and face is going to occur.

My center shaft Indianapolis may be my favorite putter I've ever owned. It's not the best sounding putter ever and my buddies give me nonstop crap about the look but it sets up soooo good with the center shaft setup. It's one putter I can confidently say I will never sell.

I'm not mad that you haven't bought one yet, I'm just disappointed.
Did you always vibe with center shafted putters or did it click when you went left hand low?

It is as if this thread speaks to my soul. I have played a CS putter for a long while now. My first ever putter was a Nike Unitized Techno SC mallet. I went away from a CS putter, but them hopped back in when THP sent me a Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C and that was a fantastic putter for me, and if I am being honest, should probably still be in my bag (I still have it as my back-up). I am currently playing a fanci boi SWAG Savage Too CS and have mostly been rolling it well. I love the look and feel, it's a compact mid-mallet shape with a lot of weight to it.

I think way more people would benefit from one than actually give it a chance. No one thinks twice about using a straight pool cue to hit a ball, but can't seem to get their head around doing the exact same at a 90 degree angle. For me, the aesthetics of being able to look straight down the shaft to the ball in a single line and contact point helps me make good contact. I try to miss slightly towards the toe, if anything. Aim small, miss small I suppose. In the Ping Sigma 2 thread, I took some time to post about the history of CS putters and why I think they are overlooked, and who may benefit from them. I'll see if I can dig it out.

I also have a TE Wingman CS still, and I personally think that while the sound isn't the best, its also unfairly maligned. The roll it puts on the ball is exceptional, in my opinion. I just did not care for the mallet shape, and wanted to give the SWAG a long term test (and I am glad I did, because it had some moments where it was on thin ice). But the Wingman is a darn fine putter, especially at its price point. I would be happy to send mine along to someone who is willing to give it an honest try and post some thoughts about using a CS putter.
My man!

it all boils down to feel / sound for me. Love the shape. The look. The setup. I just cant digest the sound.
I agree wholly..... the look / shape isn't super unique so not an issue but feel for sure

This is my current flat stick.

A0983770-818A-45EB-B1CC-935BE4008532.jpegF41B648C-8A75-436C-9AD3-511C30FA8D79.jpegE9CC7249-5152-42C9-8BB8-35D62584E176.jpeg

Your pool cue analogy makes sense to me, I guess no one should make a judgement on a few rolled at the local shop as a full fledged evaluation. Just hard for me to spend the cabbage for a new one and stick to it for a while. I am a great putter and who knows could be better...now you got me pondering
ya never know....

El Presidente for the Center Shaft Putter Support Group reporting for duty!

I effing love center shaft putters. There's something about it that feels extremely natural to me. In my mind it makes sense to have the shaft right behind or near the sweet spot and where the ball is positioned. I also feel like my left and right miss is less than something with a toe hang. I'm sure this is just my goofy mind at work but it seems like a good idea to have the shaft inserted in to the same spot that the impact of the ball and face is going to occur.

My center shaft Indianapolis may be my favorite putter I've ever owned. It's not the best sounding putter ever and my buddies give me nonstop crap about the look but it sets up soooo good with the center shaft setup. It's one putter I can confidently say I will never sell.

I'm not mad that you haven't bought one yet, I'm just disappointed.

I have never dabbled extensively with a CS putter. The few times I have picked one up, seeing the shaft directly behind the ball kind of messed with my visual cues. Plus it may be my mistaken impression but most CS seem to tend toward face balanced, and I seem to get along better with a bit of toe hang.

I got a great deal on center shafted Scotty phantom 6 str w/ stability tour shaft. I've always been intrigued by the design and theory behind center shafted, but never cared how they look. I still dont like the look but damn am I putting very consistently on my BirdieBall green. Out of my 5 current putters, the center shaft continuously makes more putts and it drives me crazy bc I want to sell it lol
I was interested in the phanotom 6 str. Still am. Might need to work out a trade or something lol.

currently using the most center of center shafted putters in a LAB putter. Typically I think center shafted putters are kinda ugly, but I do honestly think it makes the most sense. The shaft is right at the ball. We are all groomed from birth to kind of line all these things up. So I could see a center shafted putter working better for most people. They are just less aesthetically pleasing.
Maybe only because the other shafted models are what everyone has always been used to.?

Maybe only because the other shafted models are what everyone has always been used to.?

sorry. Maybe to which part?

sorry? Maybe to which part?
"We are all groomed from birth to kind of line all these things up. So I could see a center shafted putter working better for most people. They are just less aesthetically pleasing. "

I guess my point is that everyone has always been groomed to love a non centershafted putter. Maybe they shouldnt have been and thats why people think theyre less aesthetically unpleasing. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Did you always vibe with center shafted putters or did it click when you went left hand low?

When I first started using center shafted putters (SeeMore Si3 offset) I was actually using a traditional grip. The look of the center shaft setup just clicked with me instantly. It kind of funny because outside of the Rossie model I don't typically like mallet style putters but if it's in a center shaft setup I don't mind them at all.

I'm not a big Swag guy but that it one cool putter.

So I tried this Cleveland Huntington CS putter several times in the golf store. I couldn't miss with it. I finally pulled the trigger at the beginning of this season, put it in my bag and couldn't do squat with it. Used it three rounds and retired it. In fact, it's for sale. Went back to my Odessey V fang and putted great the rest of the year.
1606937817478.png

nominated himself "EL Presidente'"
No. NO. HE IS UNDOUBTEDLY the PRESIDENT of Putter Hos Anonymous as well as the CS Putter HO Org.

Only Center Shaft I can think of is SeeMore.

Only one I tried as well.

So I tried this Cleveland Huntington CS putter several times in the golf store. I couldn't miss with it. I finally pulled the trigger at the beginning of this season, put it in my bag and couldn't do squat with it. Used it three rounds and retired it. In fact, it's for sale. Went back to my Odessey V fang and putted great the rest of the year.
View attachment 8977302
Hence why we now have a support group;.

This has me curious, for center shaft users what makes you use one? Is it purely performance? The way it sets up or looks? I don't come across many center shaft users so I'm pretty interested in others thoughts on it.

I have a buddy that still rocks a White Hot 2 Ball Center Shaft and putts extremely well with thing. He says it's just a comfort level in his hands and he really doesn't even look at any other putters.

"We are all groomed from birth to kind of line all these things up. So I could see a center shafted putter working better for most people. They are just less aesthetically pleasing. "

I guess my point is that everyone has always been groomed to love a non centershafted putter. Maybe they shouldnt have been and thats why people think theyre less aesthetically pleasing. 🤷‍♂️

Gotcha. I think we agree.

This has me curious, for center shaft users what makes you use one? Is it purely performance? The way it sets up or looks? I don't come across many center shaft users so I'm pretty interested in others thoughts on it.

I have a buddy that still rocks a White Hot 2 Ball Center Shaft and putts extremely well with thing. He says it's just a comfort level in his hands and he really doesn't even look at any other putters.
as you know, I can twist my wrists in all sorts of wild ways while putting. The one thing i like most about it, is that it seems to stop my wrists from twisting. Maybe because i can see the shaft so well? Not sure but it just seems like my hands are way more calm.

Reactions: KEV
I was interested in the phanotom 6 str. Still am. Might need to work out a trade or something lol.
if you are interested PM me... ive had it less than a month and its a custom finish, not that ugly yellow that comes stock.

ive rolled it in the basement thats it, literally brand new. It honestly puts the best roll on the ball by far but I have 0 intentions of ever using it. Only thing is I wouldn't be looking to trade right now. Just bought a limited Bettinardi

I guess my point is that everyone has always been groomed to love a non centershafted putter. Maybe they shouldnt have been and thats why people think theyre less aesthetically unpleasing. 🤷‍♂️
I need so see a venn diagram of people who hate the look of center shafted putters and people who play a TP5 Pix golf ball.

Back