Lets talk about....The Cart Girl

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
They are out there to bring you beverages on course, nothing else.... but I have seen it soooo many times where guys start tipping excessively in the hopes that she will flirt with them a bit. Often at charity outings but sometimes on course, buying her shots. I have seen one get so drunk that she drove over a bunker in the beverage cart dukes of hazzard style :oops: luckily she was ok.

They put up with a lot of crap and I'm guessing make decent money but my question is why is this behavior acceptable?

Because men are idiots and men spend money

Because men are idiots and men spend money

Pretty much. Its a mobile bar. It seems like the behavior regresses to bar-like behavior pretty quickly.

Frankly, you get a lot more honest interaction and interest if you just act like a person and not be blatantly hitting on them. I tend to be the one apologizing for the behavior of the guys in my group and asking their name, etc. Then the guys in my group get pissy when she wants to talk to me versus them. **shrug** Treat her like a real person and its amazing what happens. :)

The cart girls take in $300-$600 in tips a day at thecourse I work. I told management (jokingly) that I'd sue them for discrimination since only the girls are allowed to drive the cart and I want a turn! I think the whole, "You need a hot looking cart girl to sell drinks" is overrated. I'd outsell everyone of them. I'd upsell everything! "You sure you don't want to make it a double....it's usually the ladies I sell single shot servings to". "You sure you don't want to grab a couple extra beers since it's a big course and don't know how long it will take to get back around". Etc, etc, etc....all with a smile on my face of course. A good personality goes a long way!

Because they forget they where taught manners and how to treat a lady. I try to picture my daughter and think would I want to be treating her this way.

our cart girls actually don't make that much money out there, but they definitely get the same treatment.

This year, due to the rona, we opted to keep the carts in the barn and it didn't seem like a big deal. Some people complained, but based on the sales they weren't making in previous years, I doubt it would have led to anything.

Same reason why a lot of bad behaviour continues, as a whole we ignore it. If I do something stupid and don't know it is stupid, no one tells me it is stupid, I am probably going to keep doing it.

I told a golfing buddy once that it was a sign of marriages likely to be in trouble when we had a couple friends drooling over the cart girl..

They are out there to bring you beverages on course, nothing else.... but I have seen it soooo many times where guys start tipping excessively in the hopes that she will flirt with them a bit. Often at charity outings but sometimes on course, buying her shots. I have seen one get so drunk that she drove over a bunker in the beverage cart dukes of hazzard style :oops: luckily she was ok.

They put up with a lot of crap and I'm guessing make decent money but my question is why is this behavior acceptable?

The answer is no, but money is money and if people need it they'll do crazy things for it.

Your example of the one crashing the cart got way too drunk. One of best friends growing up was a cart girl at a few local courses, prior to turning 21 and even after she turned 21 she would tell guys she was too young to drink. As she got older, most of the guys doing this were hammered she would pretend to do the shots and dump out the booze.

As @tequila4kapp said men are idiots - to add drunk men are pretty easy to fool lol

Couldn't imagine acting like some of the jerks I hear about. I honestly think about what if this girl/lady is in a relationship, how would you feel if some drunk idiot was hitting on your girl? Just be nice and respectful and if she wants to entertain in conversation with you then so be it, but dont be obnoxious about it.

LOL have colleague who is a very good senior golfer hit on a decades younger cart girl (who was a student at a college) repeatedly for months at a high end public course. He gave huge tips and engaged her in discussions between drinks. He now claims she saw him socially off the course between boyfriends. She has moved on - so we will probably never be able to pin the full truth on this one.

I myself always keep it professional with all staff at clubs.

Last edited:
Same reason why a lot of bad behaviour continues, as a whole we ignore it. If I do something stupid and don't know it is stupid, no one tells me it is stupid, I am probably going to keep doing it.
I don’t think stupid is always the answer. Plenty of intelligent people choose to practice bad behaviors all the time. Call it original sin, inherent vice, our animal nature, etc.

I really struggle with the concept of innappropriate behavior with cart girls, because as you'll often find (not always of course, there's some BS out there), they absolutely play into it at times. Wearing short skirts, tight shirts (as noted in the article shared), and the way they talk to golfers... It's a definite give and take.

...but that's also problematic for the cart girls out there just trying to make some cash the clean way. You get one girl acting one way, and one girl acting the other way.. for many guys, that's a green light on sight.

For me? No thanks. I outkicked the hell out of my coverage - I'm all set, and am too busy golfing to play into that stuff.. although I genuinely enjoy putting some of my buddies on blast with cart girls for it.

I don’t think stupid is always the answer. Plenty of intelligent people choose to practice bad behaviors all the time. Call it original sin, inherent vice, our animal nature, etc.

Won't argue with that, but I think if you do something in front of your friends repeatedly and there are no repercussions, what feedback have you received to stop doing that behaviour. But if you do something and the other 3 people in your group go, that wasn't cool, really don't appreciate it, would you be more or less likely to continue doing that same activity at least in front of them?

Just because it's done, doesn't mean it is acceptable.

Pretty much. Its a mobile bar. It seems like the behavior regresses to bar-like behavior pretty quickly.

Yes, I agree. There is a psychological influence to the behavior. Certain behaviors that people may not exhibit in other situations are "acceptable" to them in this situation. And yes the purchase and consumption of alcohol does have an affect. Also, the isolated nature of the interaction and who is present has an effect. Many, if not most, people would not behave like that at work, in public, in mixed company, in the presence of wives or girlfriends etc. But because it's the cart girl on the golf course and they are with their golfing buddies, it's acceptable to them.

Because they forget they where taught manners and how to treat a lady. I try to picture my daughter and think would I want to be treating her this way.

As the father of a college aged daughter, I appreciate your response.

Won't argue with that, but I think if you do something in front of your friends repeatedly and there are no repercussions, what feedback have you received to stop doing that behaviour. But if you do something and the other 3 people in your group go, that wasn't cool, really don't appreciate it, would you be more or less likely to continue doing that same activity at least in front of them?
Normal people follow that line of thinking. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who will continue to practice these bad behaviors despite everyone telling them it’s a bad idea. The majority of this country’s criminals are repeat offenders. For many, those bad behaviors are their “normal”.

Couldn't imagine acting like some of the jerks I hear about. I honestly think about what if this girl/lady is in a relationship, how would you feel if some drunk idiot was hitting on your girl? Just be nice and respectful and if she wants to entertain in conversation with you then so be it, but dont be obnoxious about it.
Well one would think that you have to assume your girl is getting hit on on the daily anyways....just sayin guys are guys

Too many think "if you see something, say something" applies to the cart driver's short shorts and not how golfers treat her. We shouldn't be bashful about pointing out unacceptable behavior when we see it. IMHO, most forms of hitting on the cart girl are much worse than shaving strokes off a score.

As I said elsewhere on this forum, when someone made a comment about attributes of cart girls, "I''m married, not dead, and I plan to keep it that way."

Know a guy who sold his biz and made much $.....He goes to FL and buys a club. The club had financial difficulty prior to his purchase.....First thing he did was go to the local strip club and hand out business cards for interviews. He hires a few gals and almost instantly business is booming. He told me he made more money off the bev carts then he made from the course.....

Know a guy who sold his biz and made much $.....He goes to FL and buys a club. The club had financial difficulty prior to his purchase.....First thing he did was go to the local strip club and hand out business cards for interviews. He hires a few gals and almost instantly business is booming. He told me he made more money off the bev carts then he made from the course.....
that sort of speaks to the culture though, doesn't it? With respect to the types of girls he hired, fair to assume they are playing into that 'role' big time... and conditioning golfers (mostly males) to participate in kind.

It absolutely sucks for the girls out there just trying to make tips, and I'd definitely support that culture shift, but it can't really be half and half can it?

Back