Lets talk about....The Cart Girl

Fun story from this. My wife used to work at my course on the cart. Made crazy good money for a couple summers while on break from teaching.
She wore normal golf shorts (not crazy short, definitely not skirts) and a course assigned polo shirt (not at all revealing) each day she worked.

After the first couple weeks, my dad was playing with one of the larger groups and one of the guys began to start 'discussing' the new cart girl, to which half the guys started laughing and my Dad leaned over to say "that's my daughter in law" hahahahaha! That was the end of it, and she never felt like she got treated inappropriately (thankfully).

Obviously a more controlled situation, but I am incredibly glad to be a part of a course where the members often police themselves on things like that. I truly believe that course culture and how the cart staff presents themselves play critical roles.

I wouldn't want Papa Eddie to be pissed at me, not surprised he nipped that in the bud.

@93civiccpe remember at Royal New Kent, the Swing Oil Servista - she kept us there for 5 min and all we wanted to do was putt out and move on to the next hole. When we actually needed drinks she was nowhere to be found!

I blame her for me missing my birdie putt on 11

I am 58 and work with an almost all-female staff. I’ll tell you a secret... you can call it casual, harmless, friendly or ‘in good fun’ but I guarantee you the flirting, suggestive comments, staring, and innuendo is unwelcome, unappreciated, and offensive. They also likely find it gross - not exactly what you might be imagining or fantasizing. The fact that the young women smile and take it doesn’t alter that fact.

How they dress is immaterial. They’re young women and they are doing what young women do. That they make more money or sales as a result - also irrelevant.

My teenaged daughter once called me out for flirting with a young server. Pretty embarrassing to be (rightfully) called on your BS by a 16 year old and in front of my wife but I gave it a lot of thought afterwards and since. We are all sexual beings, even when we are older ones. That makes us human. How we manage that is also about being human. What’s scary is how many men seem to have no insight or self-awareness that what they are doing is not welcomed, is likely wrong, and even harmful. Nice to see that many do get it.

On a lighter note, I’d just be thankful to see a refreshment cart during a round... seems like a too rare occurrence at the courses I frequent.

Last edited:
What’s scary is how many men seem to have no insight or self-awareness that what they are doing is not welcomed, is likely wrong, and even harmful.

That was always one of my patented moves when I was young and single, see a girl who was in the middle of a conversation with a guy who did not have the self-awareness that she was not interested and wanted to escape the situation, and then go over and save her from that situation.

You’re a bad man. Very bad 🤣

That was always one of my patented moves when I was young and single, see a girl who was in the middle of a conversation with a guy who did not have the self-awareness that she was not interested and wanted to escape the situation, and then go over and save her from that situation.

That’s exactly how one of my former coworkers met her husband. Probably didn’t hurt he was 6’5” and the lead singer of the band she was there to see too. :LOL:

Some guys here seem to think there is some level of acceptable “innocent flirting”, but the truth is that no one wants to get hit on at work. Sure, some women working beverage carts may lean into the existing state of the world and take the opportunity to separate foolish men from their money. I’d bet they’d do anything else if they could make the same amount of money without having to fend off unwanted advances from men all day long though. Saying “they knew what they were getting into” is a lame attempt to make the target of your bad behavior complicit in it.

Just treat every business transaction professionally, and respect the people you’re doing business with by not sexualizing it.

you can’t call it “cart girls hitting on me” when they run you over with their cart trying to get away from you.....
the behavior itself makes a difference. some is acceptable, some is definitely not. is flirting and a bit of locker room talk acceptable? debatable, but i do think it should be expected. i mean, ask yourself why there aren't more cart boys?

I’m guessing it’s because 90% or more of the golfers are male. Though I have seen a cart boy once haha

I personally don't understand the mentality that gets associated with cart girls. Supermodel material or girl-next-door they are human beings just like the rest of us and deserve to be treated with respect. Sure, some may push the envelope with a short skirt or low-cut top, but that's usually because they think it might be worth an extra buck or two to someone.
Be polite, courteous and respectful just as you would when going to your local pub. They say sex sells but you'll also catch more flies with honey than vinegar. It's someone's daughter you're dealing with.

Just be nice and respectful. The cart girls at my club are probably 40 or more years younger than me. lol

...They put up with a lot of crap and I'm guessing make decent money but my question is why is this behavior acceptable?
IMO, it's not acceptable and it makes guys look ridiculous. If you want to flirt and throw dollar bills around, put your golf clubs away and head for the nearest strip club.

A guy I occasionally golf with is 60 years old and looks like an aging hippie that just crawled out of a trash dumpster, but he thinks he's still a lady killer like he was in his teens/20s. If there's an attractive cart girl on the course, he'll buy drinks every time she comes by and spend 5 minutes trying to work his magic on her (while the rest of us are standing around waiting for him to come back and, you know, play golf). And he has no idea how much of a slimy douchebag he looks like. Then as soon as she drives away he loudly proclaims to everybody in earshot how he's so happily married and his wife is a goddess and he'd never ever ever cheat on her.

Last edited:
The story I shared re the guy buying a club and hiring took place 20 years ago. Things are quite a bit different today. Personally I understand the dynamics well and am always respectful.

At my age those young cart girls don't do it for me. Now if they're mom was driving the cart that would be a different story. :cool:
A friend of a friend's line to the cart girl plays off this theme. "Is your mom as pretty as you? Is she single?"

As my name implies, Im not one to impose myself on other people. I try to be polite, respectful and appreciative of the service they are providing. My approach to flirting (in any situation not just with a cart girl) is to reciprocate what is given. If the person initiates a little flirty comment, I will respond in kind. But only to a certain point. The conversation should be fun, respectful and stay within moderate boundaries.

Just be nice and dont be a dick...

I approach this subject with two viewpoints: 1-I am a father of a little girl. If someone was being verbally offensive to her....it's gonna be a bad day for that person...bottom line! 2-As a teacher/coach of female students (high school, college age, and adult) I am extremely cognizant of my words and actions. Teaching a primarily male class (Automotive), it try to create an inclusive atmosphere for my female students. I don't allow foul language, crude humor/horseplay, etc. I always try to look at my students as if they were my children and treat them as such. I carry this same attitude out in public. When I see a female cart attendee, I am polite and respectful!!! There is no other option. I am sickened and disgusted when I see someone being inappropriate with young females. If people would look at these girls as their daughters, their words/actions/demeanor would change quickly!

[
I’m guessing it’s because 90% or more of the golfers are male. Though I have seen a cart boy once haha

i guess my point is if 99.9% of cart people are girls, it’s because the vast majority of golfers are men, who like girls. so there is an expectation that there will be some male/female game. yes some men take it too far. but the whole system is designed to take advantage of the game for the financial benefit of the women. personally, i like a cute, fun cart girl. it makes the round a little more enjoyable.

Some guys here seem to think there is some level of acceptable “innocent flirting”, but the truth is that no one wants to get hit on at work. Sure, some women working beverage carts may lean into the existing state of the world and take the opportunity to separate foolish men from their money. I’d bet they’d do anything else if they could make the same amount of money without having to fend off unwanted advances from men all day long though. Saying “they knew what they were getting into” is a lame attempt to make the target of your bad behavior complicit in it.

Just treat every business transaction professionally, and respect the people you’re doing business with by not sexualizing it.
There are actually a few stories in here where girls are clearly and comfortably playing into it - so I am not sure as a blanket statement I fully agree.

I remember waiting tables in college, I had a few people I worked with who genuinely didn't enjoy being overly nice, but put on one hell of a show to get tips (and did it VERY well). I am sure similarly, they would have preferred to do another job to make that kind of money, but the reality is, that job didn't exist. College kids being college kids, learning to manage the world.

I absolutely get what you're saying, but I also genuinely believe there are plenty of girls out there taking FULL advantage of the system in place.

We used to send out a guy for the women's league (at their request mostly). It always cracked me up.

I can't remember if it that one or one of the DFW golf publications for this, but the head pro at my club said at one of his previous clubs (Coyote Ridge) they always had cart girls win this. Apparently you could go in and vote again after a certain time frame so members would vote multiple times.

That was probably Avid Golfer magazine.

I think I have more fun on the golf course than anyone else.
Interesting that you "think" that because the rest of us are think that you're a douchebag..............and full of sh!t. It's wierd.

[

i guess my point is if 99.9% of cart people are girls, it’s because the vast majority of golfers are men, who like girls. so there is an expectation that there will be some male/female game. yes some men take it too far. but the whole system is designed to take advantage of the game for the financial benefit of the women. personally, i like a cute, fun cart girl. it makes the round a little more enjoyable.

You seriously think this system is designed for the financial benefit of the women? It’s designed for the financial benefit of the course (which is almost certainly owned and operated by a man). The women are a pawn used to sell booze (a high profit margin product). I seriously doubt the folks running any course really care what kind of tips their cart folks get. They just want the profits from what they sell.

You seriously think this system is designed for the financial benefit of the women? It’s designed for the financial benefit of the course (which is almost certainly owned and operated by a man). The women are a pawn used to sell booze (a high profit margin product). I seriously doubt the folks running any course really care what kind of tips their cart folks get. They just want the profits from what they sell.

well i wouldn’t have written it if i didn’t think it. the women aren’t a pawn. there are plenty of other jobs they could seek out.

A lot of higher end courses operate on a tip pool (mine definitely does) and tips are built into the prices.

I would argue there a solid percentage of courses out there very keenly aware of making sure their staff gets adequately paid.

Reading all 6 pages of this topic I had pretty much the same comments that some have written, both pro and con. Bottom line, don't be a Richard!

I absolutely get what you're saying, but I also genuinely believe there are plenty of girls out there taking FULL advantage of the system in place.

40-50 years ago, it was totally normalized for men to hire “pretty secretaries,” call them sweetie, and slap them on the bum. Some women took full advantage of that to climb the corporate ladder too, but it didn’t make it right. Today we’d call that sexual harassment, and it will get someone fired from most jobs. A hostile work environment is a hostile work environment whether it’s coming from coworkers or the customers. Change begins with recognizing that what we accept as normal isn’t necessarily right.

This is coming from a woman’s perspective, and a woman who worked for tips for many years in my youth. Some of you guys are strongly underestimating these women.

I know your intentions are good, but in a way it’s kind of sexist to think these girls are poor, unsuspecting victims. There are plenty of women out there who love the attention and who intentionally took a job where they interact with older, most likely wealthy, men. I’m not saying all, or even most women are like this, but there are plenty I am sure of it.

I worked in bars for years and I came across this type of person all the time.

Now don’t get me wrong, there are some super digesting men out there who take it too far, but for the most part it’s a mutual understanding.She flirts with you, you flirt with her. Her giving you attention makes your day, and your money, and depending on the girl, your attention, makes hers.

Last edited:
Back