shmelton

Reaction score
Handicap
12.3 index
How much has Wedge Tech changed over the last 20 yrs? Im not talking about gimmicks, Im talking about your everyday run of them mill Cleveland, Titleist, Callaway etc. The reason I ask is this. I have a 52* founders club from the mid 90's that I still use every round, the same goes for a 60* Cleveland tour action rust wedge. These 2 clubs are almost an extension of my body...If i am 120 and closer I am using the gap wedge and can place it pretty darn well. The same goes for the 60* out of the sand. I am at the point that I am afraid I have worn the clubs out. There is no telling how shot have been taken with them over the last 20-25 yrs. Yes, I know they are old, but I cant part with them. Its like getting rid of your favorite pair of drawers, they might be full of holes but damn they are comfortable. What do you fellas do? Stick with the wedges you love, or keep up with the latest and greatest?

cavity designs, tungsten toe weighting, muscle shaping, shorter hosels, variety of sole grinds, extra face milling...

I have replaced my wedges every 2 years for the last couple years. I just prefer fresh wedges with better grooves.

cavity designs, tungsten toe weighting, muscle shaping, shorter hosels, variety of sole grinds, extra face milling...

Sums it up pretty well

Also Metal Injected Molding and Diamonized Black Metal finish

I have replaced my wedges every 2 years for the last couple years. I just prefer fresh wedges with better grooves.

I agree with you on this one - at least every 2 years.
I will also add that I have a wedge with toe weighting that is just fantastic out of bunkers.
I don't know how prevalent this was even 5 years ago.

My wedges are less than a year old, and my coach looked at them and said "these are worn out, how old are they?" When I told him less than a year he said "you hit a lot of wedge shots in a round, don't you?" That, plus a lot of practice.

I play RTX wedges, but ended up with an SM7 in 50 and really like it. When I replace my RTX, it will be with SM7s

bingo! The feel on those things have come such a long way. I hit an old Cleveland wedge the other day and it felt like a baseball bat.

I guess I need to get to shopping then. thanks for your input fellas. I had a feeling what yall are saying was going to be the answer.

I recently replaced my wedges with SM 7. And man they feel sooooooo good. It also helps to have new groves since I like to use a lot of spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely agree that new sharp grooves are wonderful. I recently replaced my ten year old MP-R wedges with brand new S-58s. And, it hasn’t been a blessing.
The new latest and greatest technology is not necessarily a benefit. In not saying they’re not better technically. They probably are. What I’m saying up is when something old works well for you changing the style may not benefit you.
I can grab my old MP-Rs and hit them and the feel comes back immediately.
As the OP had an old Cleveland wedge, you can still get new 588 Tour Actions that are virtually unchanged from 20 years ago.
Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And you can get a new founders club 52* by the way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over the 20 years, exactly what aljakaw said. On a year to year bases I'd imagine not a whole lot or even enough that us mere mortals can see or feel the difference. I do like to replace my wedges every few years just to get some fresh ones in the bag.

Back