Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder repair (out of 2 year warranty period)

blueonblack

...tears on a river
Reaction score
Has anyone ever sent their Leupold back for repair out of warranty? The bright red reticle/yardage readout has faded and I can no longer see the yardage numbers.
Wondering how much it might be to fix. They're closed right now for 4th of July weekend.

Got super excited when their site said lifetime warranty. Then really disappointed to learn rangefinders are only two years. I see they're up to $649 now. Daaaaang.
Haven't used this thing much at all. Took the battery out to store it.

Fortunately, still have my ancient Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 that still works. :cool:

My Leupold went kaput after 3.5 years. I contacted them and they asked me to send it back. I thought they were going to repair it, but instead they sent me the latest model (GX-3i at the time), at no charge.

My Leupold went kaput after 3.5 years. I contacted them and they asked me to send it back. I thought they were going to repair it, but instead they sent me the latest model (GX-3i at the time), at no charge.
Thank you. I won't hold my breath. This thing is pretty "old" by now, but I haven't played for the last 5 years, so it doesn't have high mileage so to speak. It was working perfectly when I put it to bed years ago. I'd be happy if it could be repaired. I wonder if they can be repaired or if that red readout just goes kaput and that's it?

This is a company that stands by its product. I'm betting if you contact them and send it in, they will send you a new one.

Thank you. I won't hold my breath. This thing is pretty "old" by now, but I haven't played for the last 5 years, so it doesn't have high mileage so to speak. It was working perfectly when I put it to bed years ago. I'd be happy if it could be repaired. I wonder if they can be repaired or if that red readout just goes kaput and that's it?

I don't know. Mine just stopped working completely, so either it couldn't be repaired, or they figured it could become a problem again so they sent me a new one. It had been out of warranty for 1.5 years, so I hadn't expected that. Their customer service for me was top notch. I purchased the Leupold originally as I heard some stories that Bushnell's customer service wasn't all that great, and if I was spending that much money I wanted to know that the company would back their product. Plus, Leopold has a great reputation with their other products. Good luck!

Leupold has a reputation as if not the best CS than up near the best in any industry. Have heard nothing but great experiences on both their range finders and rifle scopes.

It is one of the reasons I will probably drop the money on another after losing mine last year and using a different cheaper brand for the last 7 months.

Alrighty, here's the result:

Called their 800 number. "You are caller #43 in the que." Took the automated option to call me back, and they did about two hours later.
Their agent was pleasant. Told him the issue, and that I am aware its out of warranty. The red display on these (and other current models) is not repairable.
Their option they extended to me was a new GX-3i3, at a greatly reduce cost.
Street price supposedly around $500 for this one. Replacement cost of $220.

I did ask if the bright red reticle they used has been changed or upgraded in any way. They have not. I did express to the agent I would be hesitant to go with their product since the issue I am having doesn't appear to have been addressed. I hope they took note for future product devekopment.
$220 is a smokin' deal for a nice rangefinder, but I still have my old one that works.

So overall, I feel like they have your back, but I wouldn't recommend this brand particularly based on this apparent design flaw/limitation on them. I really didn't use it very much despite its age. The laser and the buttons work just fine and all the settings. Only thing I cannot speak to is if they somehow degrade if you put it in a drawer like I did and don't use it.

I've had the GX-3i for at least 5 years now and haven't had one issue with it or the hint of any issue. You're situation might just be an outlier or a very rare issue. I would pay the $220 to get a new one because like you said its a great deal.

I much prefer the performance and size of this rangefinder. It really is hard to pass up.
Sitting inactive in the drawer for so long probably was not the best for it.

I found a destroyed "Bushnell" range finder (looked like a truck backed over it) and as a joke posted on twitter that it had seen better days. They contacted me and told me to send it back to them and they in return sent me a brand new one.

I pay it forward every chance I get and if I have extras of something I don't need or use I try and find someone to give it to. I obviously sell stuff as well but working at a golf course I find so many hit once and lost Pro V's that just about everyone I play with gets a dozen the first time we play.

Back