strawboater

Reaction score
Handicap
This has to be one of my pet hates - finding a level area on a tee box. Does anyone else get annoyed by this?

I appreciate that tee boxes have to be reseeded regularly and this can lead to them being a bit lumpy and uneven, but I have played some top courses where the whole teeing area slopes sideways, or it’s the shape of an upturned saucer.

Greens (rightly) get a great deal of maintenance and attention, but do you think that tee boxes often get forgotten?

This has to be one of my pet hates - finding a level area on a tee box. Does anyone else get annoyed by this?

I appreciate that tee boxes have to be reseeded regularly and this can lead to them being a bit lumpy and uneven, but I have played some top courses where the whole teeing area slopes sideways, or it’s the shape of an upturned saucer.

Greens (rightly) get a great deal of maintenance and attention, but do you think that tee boxes often get forgotten?

Often times tee boxes must be sloped to allow for adequate drainage.

it can be frustrating, especially on a par3..

Drives me nuts, too. Sometimes it's necessary to a point, other times there just isn't an excuse, imo. I prefer a front to back slope for drainage and turf health so you can basically straddle the curve. Keeps the ball at least level with the middle of your stance, and seems to have the least effect on ball flights. As a right handed player who misses more left off the tee I LOATHE a tee box where my feet are below the ball, especially on a dogleg right hole. It's just stupid.

I can't stand hogs back tee boxes. Drives me crazy too. Take some time and level the tee boxes please.

Definitely one of my pet peeves for sure. It shouldn't be that hard to just level them out

It can be a pain at times to find a level spot on some courses' tee boxes

Agreed. Very difficult.

Same around here. Seems like just about the lowest items on the maintenance lists around here are tee boxes and bunkers.

I agree this is one of my 2 biggest pet peeves with golf courses and the way they set them up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah I can't stand it. The worst is when they only use halve of the tee box and put it on a down slope below your foot lie. If your going to put it on the least flat part of the box at least put the tee marker all the way across so people can get a flat spot.

Another pet peeve is that my club was redoing the sprinkler on the back tee box of our 18th hole and had it closed for 3-4 months. It is a small tee box and they didn't even work on the box itself to flatten it or put new sod. :dohanim:

I concur. I will also add why the heck do the put tee box markers on an angle to the fairway instead of straight at it? It’s really annoying

Tee Boxes can slope few degrees to drain, ridges, waffle looking rolling hills, no

I just assume there is nothing in the rules that say tee boxes have to be level.

I know they can't be perfectly level to prevent irrigation, and/or rain water from ponding.

I just treat them as uneven lies and adjust my club selection, and aim accordingly. That, or I try to level out the problem with a shorter/longer tee, and lower/higher ball height.

tee boxes with crappy grass or lack thereof and not being level are head-scratching pet peeves for me

Definitely a pet peeve. It just depends on how nice the course is. I don't typically see bad, uneven tee boxes at country clubs. Typically at the local munis. I will say, if it is super uneven, almost a down or up slope, it definitely gets in my head. 😤

The slope doesn't bother me as much as the craters people leave. Trying to tee for my shot shape and everywhere I stand it's like a pockmarked battlefield. 🤬

I concur. I will also add why the heck do the put tee box markers on an angle to the fairway instead of straight at it? It’s really annoying

That probably gets me worse than non level boxes, mentally I'm just thinking "where the f*ck am I aiming?!?!?"

That probably gets me worse than non level boxes, mentally I'm just thinking "where the f*ck am I aiming?!?!?"
That’s exactly how I feel. Especially when at a course I have never played or only played once before. I always feel like I am not even aiming at the fairway but shouldn’t I be hitting how they are set up? Then I over think everything and get uncomfortable and we’ll no need to elaborate further.

That’s exactly how I feel. Especially when at a course I have never played or only played once before. I always feel like I am not even aiming at the fairway but shouldn’t I be hitting how they are set up? Then I over think everything and get uncomfortable and we’ll no need to elaborate further.
Yep. It screws with my head when I try to line up at an angle to the tee markers. As hard as I try to ignore them, it still doesn't look right and I don't feel comfortable with it. And it usually goes straight downhill from there.

Drives me nuts, too. Sometimes it's necessary to a point, other times there just isn't an excuse, imo. I prefer a front to back slope for drainage and turf health so you can basically straddle the curve. Keeps the ball at least level with the middle of your stance, and seems to have the least effect on ball flights. As a right handed player who misses more left off the tee I LOATHE a tee box where my feet are below the ball, especially on a dogleg right hole. It's just stupid.

We are sharing a brain on this topic(no surprise, lol). When the ball is above my feet I have to choke down and fight my left miss. If the ball is a bit below my feet I can tee it a bit higher and level the ball with the bottom of my swing arc.

I hate this so much. The one spot on the course that should be level is the tee box. Everywhere else, it is part of the challenge, but shouldn't be that way on the tee.

One course here has multiple tiered tee boxes. They aren't tiered front and back though, they have them side to side. Often they put the tee in the middle of the slope between the tiers. What the heck is that nonsense?

I rarely notice this unless it is really bad. And I think the hook lie tee boxes drive me most crazy.

I rarely notice this unless it is really bad. And I think the hook lie tee boxes drive me most crazy.

If it costs people an additional $50 per round would they pay it if it meanta level tee box?

I prefer them but it’s not the end of the world

We have a couple that are sloped just enough that you can feel it and it drives me nuts. Super is actually redoing two of them right now.

Back