Where can I have the LIE of my irons adjusted? Can a regular driving range pro do this, or is it something I should send away to have done?

Most golf shops can do it, if they have the equipment.

I agree that you should start with as optimal a situation as you can achieve with your clubs regardless of the fact that you rarely see a flat lie out there on the course, fairway or not.

Also I think is is most common at address for the toe of the club to be a little off the ground. Your clubs are modified to the correct lie angle based on what happens during your swing as opposed to what the club looks like at address. My spec is 2* flat but at address the toe is a little off the ground. I think if that were not the case the toe of the club would hit the ground first during my swing causing me some real problems.

This is absolutely correct. A lot of people mistake this whole lie thing for how the club sits at address. That has NOTHING to do with whether your lie angles need adjustment. It's whether the club comes thru impact level or not and one has nothing to do with the other.

This is confusing i got fitted on two different occasions in one fitting they had me 2 degrees flat and the other had me 1 upright should i try for a 3rd btw i lose the ball to the right a lot

I got my irons adjusted today. 2* upright. I don't know if that is 2* from standard or just from where the clubs were at since I but them slightly used. I didn't go out to the range today but hitting balls in the garage I can definitely see and feel the difference.

This is confusing i got fitted on two different occasions in one fitting they had me 2 degrees flat and the other had me 1 upright should i try for a 3rd btw i lose the ball to the right a lot

With the same club? How grooved is your swing and how many times did they check it?

If you're right handed pushing/slicing to the right isn't uncommon and not necessarily a lie angle issue. We tend to aim our bodies at the target (instead of left of the target) and we tend to slice. It's different from club to club as well. I swear Nike stuff is made for people that are like 6'6" or something.

Here's an addition to lie angles. I'm trying to find out for sure how much the effective lie angle changes when adding length to a shaft.

Finally got sick and tired of hitting the turf heel first, bent my irons 3* flat yesterday. 9-LW 4*flat. Thank the lord.

"The flatter a club the longer it plays in the address position the more upright the shorter it plays"- Bob Burbick(sp?) Nike Tour Van club builder

I just did a "home made" lie test with black gorilla tape and a piece of cardboard on concrete in the garage. Seems as if all of them need to be bent more upright. All the marks are out on the numbers on my ben hogan apex plus irons. How much will this effect them as far as being pushed to the right? I have always fought this and thought my hands were to slow to release. Also since im a hacker on a budget what is the normal cost of getting your irons bent?

Ironically, through fitting it was determined that my clubs needed to be 2* flat based on lie tape markings yet my miss is a fade.

Ironically, through fitting it was determined that my clubs needed to be 2* flat based on lie tape markings yet my miss is a fade.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with that same problem. After reading this thread, I was wondering how I could be fitted 2* flat and have a fade. But when I look at my divots and the bottom of my club when hitting off the mats, it kind of makes sense. The heel is catching the ground first, so I assume making it flatter would give the toe a chance to touch ground as well. :laugh:

Wow Im glad this thread came back around. I just got some tools to adjust my irons and bend them. Yes they are forged. I have a set of Cast JPX 800's and they were built for me after a fitting. Standard lie and 1/4" over in length. I have not checked them on a lie board but I am going to soon just to see if anything has changed either in my swing or the club.

I was wondering if maybe my 6 iron is different then some of my other clubs. It just seems like I can hit my 6 iron so sweet. Have you ever wondered why you hit some of your irons better then others. Maybe its the lie on that club.

Now I just purchased a set of used JPX pros that are standard length and 1* upright. I dont seem to hit them as pure as the cast JPX's. Im going to check the lie on all of my clubs and adjust them as needed. Maybe some will require more and some less depending on the iron. Also another difference is that my Pros are steel shafts and my cast are graphite.

Is it possible for clubs to change lie over time just from hitting them on the turf?

ill report back on what i find with all my other clubs. One reason I purchased the JPX pros is so I could do some adjustment as needed and play around with loft and lies to see what differences it made.

My son has a set of Mizuno MX200 and he said he always hits heel first. His clubs have never been fitted to him so I will check his as well.

once again great thread. I love THP :D

Is it possible for clubs to change lie over time just from hitting them on the turf?

I have heard that your lie on your clubs can change over time. Some recommend that you get them checked at the end of each season.

Yes. This is especially true for forged irons which use softer metals so bend more easily, or if you hit on mats or hard ground a lot. Also, the more you play/practice the more often you need to check them. My pro has suggested I get my MX-300s checked quarterly since I go to the range 3 or 4 times a week.
I have heard that your lie on your clubs can change over time. Some recommend that you get them checked at the end of each season.

Yes. This is especially true for forged irons which use softer metals so bend more easily, or if you hit on mats or hard ground a lot. Also, the more you play/practice the more often you need to check them. My pro has suggested I get my MX-300s checked quarterly since I go to the range 3 or 4 times a week.

Thanks for the info. Im going to check mine this week. I play about 4 rounds per week and also have some range sessions. We do not have to hit off mats a lot but sometimes.

I just ran across this video that has a good explanation on lie angle. http://www2.golfworks.com/Media/videocenter.htm

Last edited:
Would a tendency to see chunks of divot hanging off the heel of a wedge indicate a lie that may be too upright? Just curiosity.

Thanks!

Question that I think I know the answer to but wanted to run by everyone. If I make a club a half inch longer, that should make the lie angle more upright I believe, but by how much? Is there a simple formula like there is for loft and bounce?

According to the discussion I had recently during my Ping fitting, each +1" in length is equivalent to 1.5* upright. I believe that is why Ping Color Codes are in 0.75" increments (i.e., to align with 1/2" length increments people can deal with easily).

Question that I think I know the answer to but wanted to run by everyone. If I make a club a half inch longer, that should make the lie angle more upright I believe, but by how much? Is there a simple formula like there is for loft and bounce?

Quick question: If my irons are fairly upright - say 2.5* - would it be reasonable to except to have a little harder draw than normal is hitting off mats (with tight lies, not the thicker ones)? Or said another way, if I am hitting a consistent little draw off them would it make sense that COULD even out on grass?

According to the discussion I had recently during my Ping fitting, each +1" in length is equivalent to 1.5* upright. I believe that is why Ping Color Codes are in 0.75" increments (i.e., to align with 1/2" length increments people can deal with easily).
Ok, so then by that logic, if I added a half inch to my wedges, then the lie angle of the wedges would be 0.75* more upright then they are now, which is about where I would want to be. Perfect. I'm going to do more research on this.

Breeze, my last 2 iron sets have been +1/4 inch over standard. It was explained to me that the lie angle would be bent 1/2 degree flat to get the club back to neutral. I realize that doesn't exactly match up with what JK posted since it would mean that each additional inch in length equals 2 degrees, but that's what I was told.

Back