I think that's pretty close if I am doing the math right. You went +1/4" which according to Ping would theoretically increase the lie angle 0.375* so yours were bent back flat 0.5* to offset that (I'm guessing bending more precisely than 0.5* is pretty tough). So, if I can calculate right, there's only a difference of 0.125" which I assume is negligible for most people.

This is all new to me since my i20s were the first I ordered over length, but what I found interesting is that this is how the Ping fitting cart works - they have a few basic heads, then take longer or shorter shafts to create a different color code. For example, to create a green dot, they take a yellow dot (0.75" from green) head with a shaft +1/2" length. Seems like at some point the length would play a bigger role, but I assume they know what they are doing.

Breeze, let us know if you find anything else in your research.

Breeze, my last 2 iron sets have been +1/4 inch over standard. It was explained to me that the lie angle would be bent 1/2 degree flat to get the club back to neutral. I realize that doesn't exactly match up with what JK posted since it would mean that each additional inch in length equals 2 degrees, but that's what I was told.

Breeze, my last 2 iron sets have been +1/4 inch over standard. It was explained to me that the lie angle would be bent 1/2 degree flat to get the club back to neutral. I realize that doesn't exactly match up with what JK posted since it would mean that each additional inch in length equals 2 degrees, but that's what I was told.
Thanks Ary, I think those are both close enough where if I add the 1/2 inch to the wedges that I want to, my lie angle will go upright about 0.75-1* from what you guys have said, and that will put me right in the range my fitting said.

this may be a dumb thought, but if forged irons are softer and can change lie angles from hitting on range mats,

wouldn't the range mats be changing the lie angles to fit your swing perfectly, and the forged clubs would sort of self adjust to fit the angle they were hitting the range mats at?

Ok glad this thread got brought up again as i have been going over lie angle in my brain alot lately. i notice alot of feedback in this thread says if your divot is deeper on the toe side you are too flat and need to get adjusted for upright. if my skim got that info wrong please correct me ..

now my question would be is it only possible for lie angle to get a toe deep divot? or could flipping/turning the toe down through impact cause the same? when i gamed a set of ping g10s i was fit for blue dots which if memory serves is 1.75 upright or.75 upright. my last two sets of mizunos have been standard and i get alot of toe divots.

Ok glad this thread got brought up again as i have been going over lie angle in my brain alot lately. i notice alot of feedback in this thread says if your divot is deeper on the toe side you are too flat and need to get adjusted for upright. if my skim got that info wrong please correct me ..

now my question would be is it only possible for lie angle to get a toe deep divot? or could flipping/turning the toe down through impact cause the same? when i gamed a set of ping g10s i was fit for blue dots which if memory serves is 1.75 upright or.75 upright. my last two sets of mizunos have been standard and i get alot of toe divots.

I reckon those Mizzie's are too flat for you. Seems to me like you might want to have them bent upright.

I reckon those Mizzie's are too flat for you. Seems to me like you might want to have them bent upright.

i think so as well i just want to know if its possible turning the toe down would cause it ? to me i dont think it is being caused by that as the divot is not going left which you would think would happen being the toe is turning over right? .. my divots are pretty straight for the most part.

How are clubs bent? I had mine bent .5* upright at a W/S fitting and the guy put the club in a vice and then took a rubber mallet to them a couple times. Didn't exactly seem scientific or technological.

Just did a lie test on my TM superlaunch irons with masking tape and a plastic cutting board. Worked really well. 6-lw right in the middle, 4&5 about a 1/4in. towards the heel. These are std length and lie. Now I can rest easy and concentrate on my swing now.

I believe this type of Gladiator approach is pretty standard, at least from what I've personally witnessed at a couple different places, including The Kingdom at TM.

How are clubs bent? I had mine bent .5* upright at a W/S fitting and the guy put the club in a vice and then took a rubber mallet to them a couple times. Didn't exactly seem scientific or technological.

This might help a little.

loftlieangle.jpg

Bump- there is some great info in this thread.

Would this info be opposite for a LH golfer? So too upright would go to the right and too flat to the left?

You are correct.

My irons are bent 2* upright. If I'm seeing divots that show more of the toe, a cause for this could be casting and my lie angle is correct, right?

If I look at a video of my swing, my hands at impact are further from my body than at address. Would this cause my toe divots?

Bumping this thread up as golf season will soon be here and people will be looking to get fit.

Really great info in here.

I haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this has already been mentioned but for years I've used the black ink line dynamic lie angle test.If you google,Wishon best way to fit lie angle,Tom Wishon gives you a great explanation of this technique.There's also a demonstration by Steve Elkington on Youtube where he demonstrates how he dials in his lie angles using this method.

Just looked at 2 iron sets for the correlation between length and lie angle. In both sets 1 inch equals 1 degree of loft.

TM TP CB 4i 38,25" 61* and 6i 37,25" 62*
CG 588TT 7i 37,25" 63" and 9i 36,25" 64*

From this i also conclude that the 588TT is 1* more upright than "standard"

Back