Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So, I was wondering if you guys could spread some knowledge about lie angle. Why is it important for the lie angle to be correct. What occurs when your lie is too flat or too upright?

I've never used a lie board, but instead went by static fitting numbers. I realized today that I gave some bad numbers in a previous static fitting. I somehow managed to mis-measure my wrist-to-floor by two inches. I was always under the impression that a standard lie was right for me. Come to find out that I should have been using at 1° upright instead.

This might help a little.

loftlieangle.jpg

well, that answered thta question pretty quickly, hahaha.

Great thread!

I was told that if my lie angle is too upright I would see more of a hook and if it was too flat I would see more of a slice. I think it also impacts where a ball could hit the sweet spot. I would love clarification on this too. Looking at my Machspeeds I hit them more towards the toe even on good swings. Not far off center though.

Edit: lol. I shoulda figured JB would have go to this one first.

And my sweetspot assumption was wrong haha.

Last edited:
I will say this, you dont need a lie board, your divots will reveal ALL. Look at the divot, if its nice and flat, your coming through at a good angle. Also, put the club behind the divot and you will be able to see how the club entered.

edit: if you put your club head down at the divot and run it through mimicking how the club did you can tell if you opened, closed the face. I really hope this makes sense. hahaha

OK I have a question.

So if your lie angle is off, what types of bad habits can that cause in your swing? Let's just say you have a really good swing path, what types of things might you do to correct an incorrect upright or flat lie angle?

get your clubs fitted, this is why people always preach that. for a GI iron, most can not be bent but some can. If your misses are on the toe or just barely off center towards the toe then you may need a degree upright to fix that

Dang, JB's pic is perfect. Kinda kills any discussion for this thread lol. Darn you and your perfect info JB!

Nah, its a great discussion.

OK I have a question.

So if your lie angle is off, what types of bad habits can that cause in your swing? Let's just say you have a really good swing path, what types of things might you do to correct an incorrect upright or flat lie angle?

when you miss, are they to the right? do you fight a slice?

That's quite interesting. Thanks for the graphic, JB. My miss (besides a duff, fat, etc) is out on the toe and the ball leaks to the right.

That's quite interesting. Thanks for the graphic, JB. My miss (besides a duff, fat, etc) is out on the toe and the ball leaks to the right.

then you would prob benefit from bending the club upright.

I've found that my miss is either a dead pull or somewhat to the right. I can correct the pull pretty easy but the other is a little tougher. The most common spots of impact are just a little towards the toe off center and I slice every now and then. Not much though.
when you miss, are they to the right? do you fight a slice?

Good stuff! My next set will be bent 1° upright. I am very curious to see what difference it makes.

Hawk, if you can get into a golfsmith or galaxy or other fitter, they can throw some lie tape on a club and you'll see if you really should be 1* upright or not. Its just not your height/arm length that will determine this, but also your swing path. I just went into a golfsmith at lunchtime today to get my specs for the mystery iron testing coming up, and it took 3 minutes to check my lie. I'm as standard lie as is possible. I couldn't have put the marks any more centered on the sole of the club with a ruler.

Yoccos, if you don't adjust your swing at all, either the toe or heel is going to dig and cause right and left shots respectively. If you do adjust your swing to center your turf impact, you will be making your swing either steeper of shallower to compensate. Now shallowing out your swing might actually be a good thing if you are coming over the top... getting steeper less likely to help you out in most cases.

Thanks man. That makes a lot of sense. I was struggling (and still do somewhat) with my takeaway. Ill definitely keep on eyeon it and use more contact tape to see exactly where Im going wrong. Great info.
Hawk, if you can get into a golfsmith or galaxy or other fitter, they can throw some lie tape on a club and you'll see if you really should be 1* upright or not. Its just not your height/arm length that will determine this, but also your swing path. I just went into a golfsmith at lunchtime today to get my specs for the mystery iron testing coming up, and it took 3 minutes to check my lie. I'm as standard lie as is possible. I couldn't have put the marks any more centered on the sole of the club with a ruler.

Yoccos, if you don't adjust your swing at all, either the toe or heel is going to dig and cause right and left shots respectively. If you do adjust your swing to center your turf impact, you will be making your swing either steeper of shallower to compensate. Now shallowing out your swing might actually be a good thing if you are coming over the top... getting steeper less likely to help you out in most cases.

Sadly, we just don't have a reliable fitter near us. There are a few within 2-3 hours, but I haven't been able to get over there. Jrod got completely hacked by a bad fitting earlier this year, but thankfully amollerud was here to help him.

dude, put tape on the bottom of your club and find something safe to swing on that will leave a little mark. Thats all you need.

Sadly, we just don't have a reliable fitter near us. There are a few within 2-3 hours, but I haven't been able to get over there. Jrod got completely hacked by a bad fitting earlier this year, but thankfully amollerud was here to help him.

That's a shame! The person fitting for lie doesn't even have to be really knowledgable, they just need the lie tape and board to do this for you.

You can even buy lie tape/lie boards to test this out yourself.

Great discussion. I took lie angels with every set of irons I have had since I became aware I needed to have it checked. What I found is that I am as standard as I can be really. This makes buying off the shelf clubs very easy, but I still tape them up and hit off a lie board when I first get them. Whoever had my current irons had them bent 2 degrees flat. I am glad that I checked them.

had you won a divot mat at the outting you would not be having this problem..hehe

Digging up a little older thread here.

When I got my irons, I went on the lie board and was told I was standard. The toe of my clubs always seem to be a bit off the ground though. So when the club is at address, should the grooves on the club be parallel to the ground? By the looks of the graphic posted by JB on the first page, they should be. Thoughts?

This also leads me to think about my hybrids and fairway wood and even my driver. For my hybrids and fairway, especially my fairway, I know the face is not parallel. This is the vidoe I took of the TM Rescue 11 I'm testing, the toe is off the ground a bit.

Can these things be modified? When you see the pros playing their hybrids and fairways, the club head is always flat to the ground. Would these things have to be ordered in special?

Angles at address have nothing to do with angles at impact. At impact, everything is moving and changing. When you were on the lie board, you should be swinging not just placing your club on the ground.

Whole thread answer: And yes, a little masking tape and swinging on a piece of plywood or plexi will tell you which part is hitting and then the clubs should be adjusted to bring that to center.

Angles at address have nothing to do with angles at impact. At impact, everything is moving and changing. When you were on the lie board, you should be swinging not just placing your club on the ground.

True. How much deflection is there in the club from address to impact? Is there a standard?

So what about hybrids and fairways? These would have to be special fit yes?

Back