Lie Angle at Address

TrueFX

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone ever given thought to the "correct" lie angle for irons and wedges at address?

I have always gotten my wrists, hands and arms in a position that allows me to get my irons and wedges flat with the ground since the day I first picked up a club.

I had one of the club pros out with me on the range helping me figure out the proper lie angle for my wedges and he asked me to stop forcing the club head into a flat position. He indicated that starting with the toe slightly up at address is the optimal starting point. He indicated that the shift forward and forward hand position at impact squares the club up perfectly.

I've actually noticed that a buddy of mine (scratch) always has the toe of his irons slightly up at address. I've never said anything to him because I am in no position to be pointing things out to a player as good as he.

Thoughts?

The hands naturally rise throughout the impact area in relation to where they were at set up because of centrifugal force. That's why the pro said what he did and why your friend sets up like he does.

The lie at address is nowhere near as important as the lie at contact

Was just fitted for some irons and the toe was up slightly at address and we still went up 2* more as that was what my swing needs.

I just got a swing analysis done and this was the exact question I had for the pro and he told me it doesn't matter how your lie angle is at address but what it is at impact. The toe of my clubs were visibly up in the air but at impact I was actually pointing the toes downward through the ball. This was a flaw and ended up getting my lie angles flattened, new shifts and shortened my irons .5 inch at the tip. I just dropped them off today.

Both my irons and wedges have the toe slightly up at address. I was fitted to them as well. I've never really paid much attention to it, just trusted the fitting.

The lie at address is nowhere near as important as the lie at contact

Many swing faults are a result of poor position at address. My position was pretty poor due to me trying to get it flat before even starting my swing. Pro indicated that I was hitting a lot of balls off the toe due to my address.

I'm going to give it a shot at the range this week.

Get a long tee and stick it in the end of the club. That end should point at your belt buckle at address. That's a good place to start

Back