Life changing. Am I kissing the game goodbye?

Nate<80

Team Hackers, Morgan Cup 2022
Reaction score
Handicap
11.3 Grint
We are one week away from our first baby being born. This weekend I had to make a little swap out in the back seat.. It really hit me. I am very excited for this big moment, but know my days of golf in the near future might be limited.

For the THP fam: How were the first couple of years after your first born? Any tips related to balancing the baby and this great game?

IMG_0240.jpg

Last edited:
I quite playing for the most part for a few years. I still played 4 or 5 times a year, but that is nothing compared what I did before kids or now that they are teens. Between them being babies, family trips and then youth sports, there just was not much free time. No regrets and the game will be there when you have time. I know of others that kept playing when kids arrived with no issues.

Oh man... Sympathy, patience, decisions on the fly, and finding time you didn't know existed.

For me, I lucked out because my course is close, my wife is a gem, and they go everywhere all the time. Keeping them busy is paramount to golfing.

I wouldn't say it is too bad if you are able to balance everything. It is important to let your spouse do things and you watch the baby, so when you go play golf it is not as bad. Go early so you can get done and be around to help out. First couple months are rough for golf and being an new parent. I don't get to play as much as I used to but I get to be a dad.

Congrats and enjoy the ride!

You are going to play less. You are going to have to work a little harder to get free time to play. You may need to appreciate playing a quick 9 instead of being gone for most of the day to play a relaxed 18.

IMO you are better off if / when your wife a) gets comparable opportunities to be gone; and b) your wife doesn't have the impression you are trying to escape your responsibilities.

One other thing, don't be surprised if you want to play golf less.

Yup, I agree with the others. You'll have some time to carve out for golf, but probably nothing like you've had in the past. But it's a good trade off. The kid(s) will be great, and you'll enjoy the time you have with them. It's just a different stage of life. My one piece of advice would be carve out and create some alone time for your wife where you take care of everything. Then hopefully when you have the urge and need for a little golf she'll do the same for you. But....if she's always doing everything and busy with the kids, you leaving without giving her some time off and you'll kiss golf good bye for a long time ;)

It may be easier to get in practice sessions or 9 holes than 18.

New Dad here ... 6 month old in the house ( wow time flies). Golf does not disappear, but priorities change. Communication, communication and planning. It is definitely give and take. Not every weekend will have golf, but its ok. I talk with my wife about the week what it looks like and think about golf when she has playdates or naptimes. I have also played at some early ams or 9 holes during naptimes. For weekends with boys... play fast guys!

last week I was about hole 12 and found myself day dreaming about what the little guy was doing...

Congratulations on the newest addition and a safe delivery for your wife.

To say MrsOG is supportive would be an understatement. My first kid was born in July 2001 and I play probably 70-80 rounds of golf in both 2001 and 2002.

Congratulations! Its been a long time ago for me, but carving out time is possible, good luck!

All I can say is be there for mom and the baby and golf will work out. Early on for me there was a lot of napping, so playing might be far and few between, but I was able to go practice while they were resting for a couple of hours

First year is tough. Hard to go play 18. I gave it up for the first few years. In retrospect I didn't need to. I just chose to keep doing a different hobby instead of golf. If we have another child, my daughter is old enough where golf will be something her and I can do together.

Congrats first off. Babies are life changing but also finding out teenagers are too. 🙄

I had an understanding wife, in-laws close by & early AM playing times that got me through those critical early years.

I found the 1st child didn't have a huge effect on my golfing, but the 2nd one has really shaken things up. I legit feel guilty leaving her alone with 2 kids under 3 for 5+ hours.

My main tips:
1) Be present, energetic, and happy when you're home with the family.
2) Never come home from golf in a sour mood. No matter what.
3) Put your wife on a pedestal. Make sure she knows she is so appreciated. Show her with actions.

I found the 1st child didn't have a huge effect on my golfing, but the 2nd one has really shaken things up. I legit feel guilty leaving her alone with 2 kids under 3 for 5+ hours.

My main tips:
3) Put your wife on a pedestal. Make sure she knows she is so appreciated. Show her with actions.

Great advice and maybe you get some good golf for fathers day!

First, congrats! After our daughter was born almost a year ago, my outlook on golf changed a lot. I'm enjoying it more and having more fun. I'm not able to play as much as I used to, but it's made me really appreciate when I can. There aren't a lot of days that I can head out for a 4+ hour round, so my go-to been trying to play 9 holes first thing in the morning. That way, I'm still getting some swings in and I'm home just after my daughter's getting up with the whole day in front of us. Also, good call on that car seat; we love ours.

Biggest tip is embrace the changes and go easy on yourself that you won;t have the same free time and motivations as your former self. Don't beat yourself up for changing priorities. There may be less golf, that's OK. Quality time spent with kids is pretty rewarding at times as well (not always haha!). Be patient and create time for Mama to feel human, and if you are in luck she will appreciate and reciprocate.

Congrats, first of all!

No experience there first-hand, but I watched 3 of my brothers. Their “me time” definitely changed, but that’s because they wanted to spend more time at home. But most important was that when they got home, it was important to be present and positive. Know that you’ve always got folks who support you, and help is only an ask away.

You are going to play less. You are going to have to work a little harder to get free time to play. You may need to appreciate playing a quick 9 instead of being gone for most of the day to play a relaxed 18.

IMO you are better off if / when your wife a) gets comparable opportunities to be gone; and b) your wife doesn't have the impression you are trying to escape your responsibilities.

One other thing, don't be surprised if you want to play golf less.
Absolute this. Op, Looks like you have the right mindset about it.

This has been awesome advice so far guys, thank you very much. THP fam is incredible.

My main tips:

Agreed for truth... 1 kid put a ripple in my free time, the second kid has been more like a standing wave :LOL:

My wife knew how much golf meant to me and my sanity. TBH, having my daughter didn't change my amount of play by that much. My wife is pretty cool though and never tells me I can't play.

Good luck to you! Having a child is awesome and frightening! :love:

Oh man... Sympathy, patience, decisions on the fly, and finding time you didn't know existed.

For me, I lucked out because my course is close, my wife is a gem, and they go everywhere all the time. Keeping them busy is paramount to golfing.

I think I am on the right track. Wife is definitely a gem and I have a few courses close so that will help.

New Dad here ... 6 month old in the house ( wow time flies). Golf does not disappear, but priorities change. Communication, communication and planning. It is definitely give and take. Not every weekend will have golf, but its ok. I talk with my wife about the week what it looks like and think about golf when she has playdates or naptimes. I have also played at some early ams or 9 holes during naptimes. For weekends with boys... play fast guys!

last week I was about hole 12 and found myself day dreaming about what the little guy was doing...

Congratulations on the newest addition and a safe delivery for your wife.

Appreciate it, and great ideas planning.

Congrats first off. Babies are life changing but also finding out teenagers are too. 🙄

I had an understanding wife, in-laws close by & early AM playing times that got me through those critical early years.

I am fortunate to have in-laws close by and I know her mom and uncle are going to be heavily involved which will be great for the child, and my game :ROFLMAO:

Back