Life changing. Am I kissing the game goodbye?

Absolutely congratulations on your first.

Nine holes will be your friend ;)

It probably will impact your golf time, but I also think you won't notice.

Advice given by our first pre-natal instructor: You will be the best parents your child will ever have.

I can't say as I adopted my wife's 9 year old daughter 6 years ago. But I will say congratulations & enjoy the time with them because it goes by way faster then you think it will.

My wife is fantastic about knowing I need time away. I try to limit time at the course to 2-3hrs be it a quick 18 or just 9. I also try to go when he is napping.

Just remember one thing. Happy wife, happy life!!

Yeah T4K pretty much nailed it.

I’ve got a 2.5 year old and I haven’t played near as much as I used to. But I enjoy my time and sneak out for a quick bucket or 9 more regularly. I’m fortunate to live a mile away from my home course and if I want 18 I can show up before the first tee time and they’ll let me go out first. I can walk the course in 2.5 hours and be home for little man’s breakfast.

Eventually you will get your kid out there and that will be worth it. My son and I hit the practice green regularly and he has a good foundation as to what the game is about. Says things like “golf swing”, “hit ball far”, “ball goes in hole”, “hit a bomb”. Now just trying to add “hellacious seeds” to the vernacular.

That is awesome. Get those calf muscles going early 🦵

Big one to is not drinking when you go. It's going to be a lot harder to be dad and husband if you come home 1/2 lit and exhausted after 5 hours drinking in the sun. Just stick to the water and the golf unless it's a special occasion or they are gone to the in laws or something.

That is a good point. Knowing myself, after drinking on the course I am essentially useless and need sleep lol

You just have to make time bro. It helps to have a wife that supports your need for a release/hobby. I had my first born on the course before he was 2. My wife would ride in the cart and hold him while I played. He is 4 now and doesn’t need his momma to hold him. He loves golf and I take him every chance I get.

I am really looking forward to that, boy or girl having them in the cart with dad.

My personal experience - Near me, getting a public golf tee time at a reasonable hour that wouldn't entail a 4.5+ hour round is extremely difficult. I became an early bird 9-holer. Every Saturday and Sunday, I would have a 9 hole tee time somewhere between 5:30-6:30am. I would be home early, and was able to get my golf fix in.

My personal experience - Near me, getting a public golf tee time at a reasonable hour that wouldn't entail a 4.5+ hour round is extremely difficult. I became an early bird 9-holer. Every Saturday and Sunday, I would have a 9 hole tee time somewhere between 5:30-6:30am. I would be home early, and was able to get my golf fix in.
Oh - and congrats!

As the wife and I are trying, I'm reading the comments and having both worry but also relief.. I know priorities will change, but thankfully my wife is pretty cool with my golf habit.. I guess time will tell.

I may just have to get up at 5am for a quick 9 and then tag in for baby duty, when that time comes

But most importantly, congrats @NateG<80 !

Thanks, dude! Much appreciated.

Lots of great advice here @NateG<80 . Just enjoy it all, whether at home with the baby or on the course. Dont think about where you aren't, enjoy where you are!

Amazing advice from this group.

Love that quote, brotha!

I found the 1st child didn't have a huge effect on my golfing, but the 2nd one has really shaken things up. I legit feel guilty leaving her alone with 2 kids under 3 for 5+ hours.

My main tips:
1) Be present, energetic, and happy when you're home with the family.
2) Never come home from golf in a sour mood. No matter what.
3) Put your wife on a pedestal. Make sure she knows she is so appreciated. Show her with actions.

These are great!

I think one of the keys to whether you can keep playing depends in part upon how much time you have been dedicating to golf. If you have been making a major investment of time in the past, you will only enjoy golf with a more limited amount of time if you can lower your expectations regarding the quality of your play.

I went through a period of about 7 years where I never played because it was too frustrating to play so poorly when I could dedicate limited time to golf.

I think one piece of advice that others have mentioned is the most important is making sure there is balance.

Also, to keep in mind people are quick to say “Happy Wife, Happy Life.” I would rather go by the motto “Happy Spouse, Happy House”.

Congratulations on your first baby. I too am expecting my first near Father’s Day weekend. It’s been a crazy few weeks for us as we just purchased our first house as well. So we are getting the nursery ready and trying to finish moving and as much updating to house as we can. I’ve been missing this place a lot, feel like I just vanished all of a sudden lol. My wife actually just told me that I should try to go play this weekend as it might not rain finally in Cincinnati hahaha.

We are one week away from our first baby being born. This weekend I had to make a little swap out in the back seat.. It really hit me. I am very excited for this big moment, but know my days of golf in the near future might be limited.

For the THP fam: How were the first couple of years after your first born? Any tips related to balancing the baby and this great game?

View attachment 8945900
Give your wife time to herself. Offer to watch the kiddo and let her have some me time. It will pay off. But it's hard for me to chime in too much on this as I was deployed a lot my daughter's first 2 years of her life, but once she hit 3 years old she went with me and she loves going now.

Congrats!!!! I love your mindset going into this!

Congratulations on your first baby. I too am expecting my first near Father’s Day weekend. It’s been a crazy few weeks for us as we just purchased our first house as well. So we are getting the nursery ready and trying to finish moving and as much updating to house as we can. I’ve been missing this place a lot, feel like I just vanished all of a sudden lol. My wife actually just told me that I should try to go play this weekend as it might not rain finally in Cincinnati hahaha.

Thanks, man. Exciting times for sure. And congrats to you! Two major life moves. Hope everything goes smoothly.

We are one week away from our first baby being born. This weekend I had to make a little swap out in the back seat.. It really hit me. I am very excited for this big moment, but know my days of golf in the near future might be limited.

For the THP fam: How were the first couple of years after your first born? Any tips related to balancing the baby and this great game?

View attachment 8945900

with the first I could get away. Remember, you are playing man to man defense and doubling teaming the baby. With 2, you shift to real man to man with no weak side help, I had to step away from the game. Those that went the dark path to three and had to move to zone defense, they haven’t been heard from since.....

with the first I could get away. Remember, you are playing man to man defense and doubling teaming the baby. With 2, you shift to real man to man with no weak side help, I had to step away from the game. Those that went the dark path to three and had to move to zone defense, they haven’t been heard from since.....

Ha! That is rich. :ROFLMAO:

Hey now. I started with twins and have 3 now, and I'm here :ROFLMAO:

We had two born in the one year and a third 14 month's after the second and I continued playing golf and other sports. We lived in a remote area that didn't have access to TV. I have no concept of how the current generation can raise a family and do what those of my generation did.

Back