Life changing. Am I kissing the game goodbye?

Appreciate it, and great ideas planning.
seems like a great gift (the new baby, not golf as the first month is a lot of adjusting) for the upcoming fathers day!

I found the 1st child didn't have a huge effect on my golfing, but the 2nd one has really shaken things up. I legit feel guilty leaving her alone with 2 kids under 3 for 5+ hours.

My main tips:
1) Be present, energetic, and happy when you're home with the family.
2) Never come home from golf in a sour mood. No matter what.
3) Put your wife on a pedestal. Make sure she knows she is so appreciated. Show her with actions.

Absolute this. Op, Looks like you have the right mindset about it.

Yeah T4K pretty much nailed it.

I’ve got a 2.5 year old and I haven’t played near as much as I used to. But I enjoy my time and sneak out for a quick bucket or 9 more regularly. I’m fortunate to live a mile away from my home course and if I want 18 I can show up before the first tee time and they’ll let me go out first. I can walk the course in 2.5 hours and be home for little man’s breakfast.

Eventually you will get your kid out there and that will be worth it. My son and I hit the practice green regularly and he has a good foundation as to what the game is about. Says things like “golf swing”, “hit ball far”, “ball goes in hole”, “hit a bomb”. Now just trying to add “hellacious seeds” to the vernacular.

Yep, I went from once or twice a week to 4 or 5 times a year. Then they my daughter was 8 and my son was 11 and time started showing up again. It was like magic. Now they are 11 and 15 and I am back to once or twice a week. My problem now is I had kids first in my group and all that time I had to keep telling my buddies no. Now I am the one that keeps asking and getting told no.

Big one to is not drinking when you go. It's going to be a lot harder to be dad and husband if you come home 1/2 lit and exhausted after 5 hours drinking in the sun. Just stick to the water and the golf unless it's a special occasion or they are gone to the in laws or something.

First off congrats!!

Second, having a family in no way means you cannot golf. While the child is still a baby, you are pretty much useless anyway so it didn't really have any effect on me at that time. Once they can start moving and such it gets harder.

I have three kids that are 8, 6, and 3. I still get to play golf almost as much as I want. I just make sure to go early so I can be home by the time everyone is waking up. Or I will just play 9, or take one or all of them with me. I work hard to make sure they are not too crazy to drive others crazy. I teach them the rules and how to be respectful. I have all girls that are very cute so I have yet to have anyone get annoyed haha. Typically I get lots of kudos, for bringing them actually..

You just have to juggle it. Make sure to get honey do's done, ask your wife if it is ok if you go. You have to plan ahead sometimes, or sometime be able to jump last min.

Basically you just have to be flexible.

You will both need some "Me time" thru all of it. Use that time to relax and enjoy a round of golf. Make sure your wife has that chance also (what ever it is she enjoys by herself or with girlfriends.)
Most of all congratulations!!!!!

Congrats first off. Babies are life changing but also finding out teenagers are too. 🙄

I had an understanding wife, in-laws close by & early AM playing times that got me through those critical early years.

Early tee times or taking advantage or twilight rounds are a saving grace. I loved the late afternoon rounds bc more often than not the course was clear and I could knock out 18 in under 2 hrs

Well first year or two might be lean golf wise. After that it should improve. Just be sure to give your wife equal time away to do her things too. Balance, it’s all about balance

You just have to make time bro. It helps to have a wife that supports your need for a release/hobby. I had my first born on the course before he was 2. My wife would ride in the cart and hold him while I played. He is 4 now and doesn’t need his momma to hold him. He loves golf and I take him every chance I get.

my youngest is 7. I still haven't figured out how to juggle it.

i will say it gets a little easier as they get older.

it's important to support your significant other's hobbies and passions. whether that's travel, shopping, spending time with friends, fitness, etc. but be clear that while it isn't quid pro quo, it's kinda quid pro quo because you expect the same amount of support for your own hobbies and passions.

communication is the key. do your best to plan rounds with as much notice as possible, and be flexible. sometimes sh1t happens and you're needed back at home. i'm not sure many parents look back and say, "spending all that time with my kid was ok I guess, but I wish I had played more golf."

barring injury or other unforeseen catastrophic events, golf will still be there when the kids are older, more self-sufficient, and don't want to be around you anymore. but I can guarantee to you that your kids will get older, they will stop wanting to sit in your lap, they will stop asking you to get down on the floor and play lego with them, they will stop asking you to go on bike rides, they will stop wanting you to come to school so they can show you off to their friends, and they will stop thinking you have the answers. enjoy that time while you can.

and now I need to excuse myself. someone started cutting onions in my office and I need to find a box of tissues.

Nothing changed for me after my son was born 2 1/2 years ago. Since he was born during deer season he was staying at the hunting camp and riding with me in the deer woods at just a week and a half old. The amount of golf I play never changed

I still played a lot when my kids were new born and I had two kids in 13 months. Being a member of a club helped because I could tee off at 7:30 and be done by 12. My wife also worked so she didn't mind being with the kids in the mornings. I would then take them in the afternoon if she wanted so she could have some alone time. My wife's family was also close by so she spent a lot of time with her mother and sister.

Once my wife went back to work I used to get up in the morning and get the kids ready for the day and she would get them at the end of the day picking them up from our childcare. This would result in her getting home around 7 so I could shoot out to the club at the end of the day and get some practice in then get home for baths and bedtime.

We also had a good system for night time. I would do the last feeding at around 11:30 when they were really small (my wife would go to bed around 9) and we would get them sleeping until about 4 when very small then 6 once they hit about 10-12 weeks so both of us got some sleep. Having rest made both of us happier.

In addition it helps if your wife is a saint like my wife.

Congrats and expect that for the next 4 years or so, your playing focus and desire will wain. Kids will suck up all your time for the first couple and then the next 2 will start giving you the itch.

One unexpected moment is when you kids want to spend time doing what you do and you get to give them a club and a ball and watch them wack at it. That will reinvigorate your desire to play. :)

It's all already been covered. But communication, every baby/couple/family is different.

But congrats. Hope you didn't like sleep. ;)

As the wife and I are trying, I'm reading the comments and having both worry but also relief.. I know priorities will change, but thankfully my wife is pretty cool with my golf habit.. I guess time will tell.

I may just have to get up at 5am for a quick 9 and then tag in for baby duty, when that time comes

But most importantly, congrats @NateG<80 !

I found the 1st child didn't have a huge effect on my golfing, but the 2nd one has really shaken things up. I legit feel guilty leaving her alone with 2 kids under 3 for 5+ hours.

My main tips:
1) Be present, energetic, and happy when you're home with the family.
2) Never come home from golf in a sour mood. No matter what.
3) Put your wife on a pedestal. Make sure she knows she is so appreciated. Show her with actions.
This is really great advice. I'm going to use it myself.

First of all, congratulations. There's nothing like being a Dad.

My son turns 2 this weekend so I'll limit my thoughts on these 2 years.

1. Dont expect to play anywhere near as much. Even if you are not actively helping with the baby, your wife will likely just want you to be around. Just being physically present can mean a lot to them. The first few months it felt mostly like bonding between mom and baby with occasional help from dad. As your kid gets older you have responsibilities.

2. Golf trips are going to be an extremely hard sell. Unless there is something that is already part of your routine dont expect to sneak away for a weekend or longer.

3. 18 holes. You can still play but take a look at trying to get super early tee times or afternoon times where you can be home within 5 hours of leaving. 9 holes is an easier sell.

4. Patience. You're learning everything with her and you all are gonna get frustrated. Work together and have patience with each other. If at the end of the day you need to get out of the house to unwind work out something where she gets an opportunity to do the same.

It's been fun so far and I cant believe my little dude is 2 this weekend.

Lots of great advice here @NateG<80 . Just enjoy it all, whether at home with the baby or on the course. Dont think about where you aren't, enjoy where you are!

The wife and I have four kids two girls and twin boys. They are gems for a few years then they grow up into teenagers. Soon he or she will be asking you for the car keys and wanting to barrow money. So you'll be spending more quality time with your first child than on the course. Enjoy your first born because there is nothing else like them, they will change your life in ways you can't even imagine. Congrats!!!

Congrats! Given time, you'll be able to play... it's a matter of finding the time. There will be points where you won't want to leave your kid because it seems like they're doing something new almost every minute. (y)

I think it's harder for me to get out to play now that my kids are 13 and 9 than it was when they were infants. With the first, it was really easy. Especially early on. They do a lot of sleeping and it's not all that difficult to entertain them. Now, I wasn't going out every day. Just my weekly round. When we had the second, things got dicey for a while. But, that smoothed out after a while. Now, my kids are at the perfect age where they fight constantly. We are needing to approach things a lot differently and it has made it difficult to get out as often as I would like.

Well not to fill you with tons of cheer but I didn’t play for most of 10 years. It just wasn’t important to me then. I may have only played 5 times in those ten years. I could have made time, but I had other hobbies then.

Once my oldest two were in school and my little guy wouldn’t fall out of the cart I was back out there. I had so many good spring and fall mornings with just him on the course, I wouldn’t trade them for anything.

I think it's harder for me to get out to play now that my kids are 13 and 9 than it was when they were infants. With the first, it was really easy. Especially early on. They do a lot of sleeping and it's not all that difficult to entertain them. Now, I wasn't going out every day. Just my weekly round. When we had the second, things got dicey for a while. But, that smoothed out after a while. Now, my kids are at the perfect age where they fight constantly. We are needing to approach things a lot differently and it has made it difficult to get out as often as I would like.

It has been said to me that your kids won't remember as much about what you did with them from birth until age 6 or 7 years, but it is the time from elementary school through early teens that they will really remember. Meeting the needs of two kids is a big job, it seems with COVID free time in our house has gone to zero.

I dont have any kids personally but I have friends who do and many have to put their hobbies and interests on the back burner for a few years when they have a child.
Thats life. When you become a parent, taking care of your child and providing for them becomes more important than whatever you own interests are. I know that when my niece was born, even though my brother lived 2 houses away, I didnt see him much for about 6 months and I completely understood why. Being a parent is tough, especially when its a newborn.

Back