Lift, Clean, and Place

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
When the course decides the conditions require lift clean and place, how do you feel about it?

Are there ever times in your golf season where L/C/P is commonplace? (offseason, etc).

There's usually a bit of relief when a course is LCP, because at least now I can get the dirt off my ball and get it out of likely squishy areas since that's the most common reason for it. If they didn't offer it, I'd just deal with it and hope for the best.

I'm not one to sit there and be like ugh, you only shot your score because it was LCP. I must have missed where that had an effect on the ball rolling into the hole? :unsure:

I'm fine with LCP. On my home course it is usually quite justified as the course doesn't drain the best. I think that the benefit of LCP is offset by the fact that if you hit it even the slightest bit fat, the ball isn't going anywhere.

I feel just fine about it. Up here in the Northeast, wet conditions are pretty much the only conditions if you want to play in the early spring or late fall into winter. My local muni already doesn't have the best drainage as it is, so when LCP is in effect, it's OK by me.

Absolutely indifferent. It is what it is. I don't think it'll change my round drastically one way or another.

The league I'm active in has LCP year round as the course conditions leave a bit to be desired at times when you are not on the green. I'm not convinced there is enough in it for most amateur golfers to get all hot and bothered by it. That said, I won't post those scores.

When ever I can use a rule to my advantage, I will do so. When no rule advantage exists, I just put my best effort forward, and play on.

LCP is not real common in the area I play in. However, in a few months we might start seeing some early morning fairway casual water, or even ice patches start showing up.

If the conditions are bad enough to use LCP, then the course will be probably be playing much longer. And, unless you are good enough to keep it in the fairways and on greens only, you will have plenty of other bad lies and mud balls to add to that extra distance, all contributing to a more than challenging round. So, IMO things will equal out. Consequently, I'm all for LCP when conditions warrant it.

Played a couple courses in the last week that were more like. Dig out clean and place.

It is done for a reason so why not take advantage when you can. IMO if the course is in that condition, maybe it shouldn't be played at that time.

When the course decides the conditions require lift clean and place, how do you feel about it?

Are there ever times in your golf season where L/C/P is commonplace? (offseason, etc).
If it's active, I'll take advantage.

We have had it in effect in some of our early season events, when balls would plug everywhere. We also had it active one week in league because the fairways had been aerated.

I've never seen it actually announced at any of our courses, but those of us in our groups who have played a lot know when it is acceptable. We don't want to beat up the course more than it is already going to get on days like that. It evens out when the course is that wet because you are losing a lot of yards on days like that.

I'd feel great about it

if they'd ever actually do it around here.

People that talk about unfair advantage, effect on score, etc should come play here outside of mid-spring to mid-fall. You'll be begging for it. The lack of it works against us way more than it would benefit. They almost never put it in place though.

I played a lot more of it this season as we had a very rainy summer. Usually, we would only have it in play early in the season.

I think conditions dictate when that should be appropriate. This past weekend was LCP and oddly I'm so used to not playing that way I didn't take advantage of it as much as I could have. Really the only time I did was when I saw visible mud on the ball.

If they allow it, I will use it. I think there are people that will do it anyways without it being declared and this evens the playing field for everyone.

Our zoysia goes dormant around end of October, we play LCP when it’s dormant and it’s non score posting season.
We always play it down everywhere during posting season

I generally don't even notice it unless there is mud on my ball then I think "crap this sucks, wait, I can clean this...". No big change on my game or anything and certainly don't mind if people take advantage of it when it's allowed..

Early spring here is almost unplayable in spots without lift, clean, and place. Snow piles melt at different times across the landscape, and the newly exposed surface can be a big old mess.

I also see people improve their lie and sometimes clean the ball all the time. We have a few lower spots adjacent to a creek/river where I get mud balls all the time even in peak season. I just play them. Others not so much.

Ah yes, the ol lift, clean and cheat. I like it in severe wet conditions. I don't enjoy hitting it in the fairway, exactly how I was intended to do, and getting penalized by having half the ball covered in mud.

I wish it wasn't a thing on tour, too easily abused.

The game I play in uses LCP in the fairway of the hole you're on all year. If the course has made the call to be cart path only, the game plays LCP through the green. Hole 7 is such a piece of **** and always in such poor condition, its always cart path only and always LCP. The game is largely populated by older guys who take their two dollar Nassaus very seriously.

I'm fine playing the ball down, as there are existing rules for embedded balls and such when conditions cause such impediments and courses can mark areas ground under repair, even if my course doesn't when it absolutely should given they can't grow grass.

I am fine with LCP as long as the clubhouse tells everyone going out or have a sign saying so on the first tee.
My home course doesn't do it very much but early and late season when we have a lot of rain or when they aerate the fairways they will make that call.

Love it.

And we play that way all winter here.

Back