Light Swingweight

DB86

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone here play a lower SW....say like a C8 or lower? Reason I am asking is I just go the Epic Driver and I had it cut down an inch and it weighted out at C8. Brought it home and hit prob a dozen balls with it and a few with my M2. The Epic was killing the M2 by at least 10-15 yards and maybe more. Also was the straightest flying I’ve ever hit a driver. The M2 was all over the place? I already purchased a heavier weight for the Epic to get it back up, but I may not mess with it after this experience. Anyone else have a similar experience?

As far as I know its all just a matter of preference. Your experiences are the opposite of mine as far as the swing weight, but that doesn't mean anything really except we're different. Again as far as I know it is typical to add a little weight to the head after you cut down the shaft, but there are also the Bryson Dechambeaus out there who prefer their driver to swing really light. If I remember correctly his first Cobra driver was an F6+ with the sliding weight completely removed.

Without the extra weight I put in the head mine would have only come to D0. I like mine better heavier but it is just preference. If you are hitting it further and straighter go with it.

I am going to try it with the new weight too, but as it is I really feel like I can get it on plane and turned over a lot better. Odd I know but I can’t explain it. I’m honestly blown away by how much I like it aside from the distance and accuracy.

Light Swingweight

I play my 3 wood at c8. I have a full weight kit for it but found I hit it most consistent at c8 on my swingweight scale. Driver is D4. Irons d4 - d5. Wedges d7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had the exact same thing happen when I cut down my driver. Was going to get it back up to a heavier swing weight but I could feel the head just fine and hit it much better than other drivers. Feel is such a subjective thing so go with what works and forget about the actual SW is my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input. I think this is going to be a good season if I keep hitting like I was today. I’m going to try to get on a monitor and see what the actual numbers are. Like I said I may still try the other weight just to see what happens.

I am a bit lighter but not C's. D1.5 with driver. I get it with a chopped shaft but don't add enough to get it back to D4. If I play a longer shaft it needs to be counterbalanced or I add weight under the grip. Counterbalanced is better as I don't want it any heavier than it needs to be.

I have played both heavy and light with no difference in performance. All I care about is that they are all about the same swing weight through the set.

I actually have progressive swing weight. Going from D1.5 in my driver to D5 in my 58*

Everyone is different obv and there is no right or wrong answer.

I got my 28 gram weight for the driver today which should have it back up around D3 or a tick above “I didn’t try it”. Put it in the driver and gave it a few swings. All it took was about 10 swings to figure out I hated it. I was all over the place and it just felt heavy. So I swapped it back for the stock weight and it tightened things back up and felt so much better. So I guess a C8 is what it will be for me. Thought you all might be interested.

Good update. Now you know what works for you the best.

I meant I didn’t weight it. Not “try”

Thanks for the update. Glad to know I’m not the only one who likes a lighter swing weight. At least in the driver.

Back