lighter vs heavier shafts in irons/pw/aw

chile

Working with Mercury
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
idk if it's the heavier shafts (matrix ozik P95 99g) but I was hitting my burner 2.0s a club longer than my 565s (miyazaki kaula mizu 65g shafts) pretty consistently today...i know the shafts have different profiles and it's only one round but i feel like if this is a repeatable thing, i have to either, a) play the burners or b) put heavier shafts in my 565s...lofts are the same so far as the spec sheets i've seen.

edit: and I don't know if the burner 2.0 heads are heavier/lighter than the 565s

Last edited:
Such a personal thing... Add to this thread when you decide what to do and why you think one or the other works better for you.

Could be a lot of things. Which one times with your release better. One might make you hit into the ball more square to target. I personally prefer heavier. More accurate for distance and line.

Personally, I prefer heavier shafts. I can better feel the club head & where it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably my age, but I like lighter shafts. Currently using KBS 50G TGIs in my irons and really love the setup. The minute I grab a heavy shaft, it simply does not feel right to me. I plan to put the same shafts in my vokeys or at least something close.

i can hit either but learned it takes an adjustment period. Playing a 100g shaft now that works well for me. Took me about 3 to 4 months to transition from a 115 to 120g shaft. My wedges still have full weight shaft and I don't have any issue transitioning to those after hitting a full shot with 100g.

Could be a better fit, or less spin as a result of the better fit or something for sure.

@chile did you regrip those clubs or just hit the links and see how those clubs work for you:)?

Are you going to do it yourself?(y)

It’s something I’ve been wondering about myself. I’ve never swung anything other than the standard stock shaft in an iron. Meaning the most common shaft for that line. Currently it’s the Elevate 95. Would really like to try something like a Modus 110-120 gram. I just don’t have much experience with different equipment.

This is something I will soon learn about once I get to play golf outside again. My wedge shafts have always been heavier stock shafts like S200 which are around 130g. This year currently anyway I have Recoil 110's in my wedges that match the rest of my irons. Can't wait to compare

I have 110g Project X LZ in my irons. I have a Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex in my wedge and a KBS Wedge 2.0 in my lob wedge. I think both of those are around 120g so mine are a bit heavier than my irons. This continues throughout my bag as my hybrids are both 83g, my fairway is 75g and my driver is 65g.

could just be better efficiency/ strikes with the heavier shaft. I went with my dad to a Club Champion fitting and he fit in to something slightly heavier. Used his m4 irons with the stock atmos 70g stiff shaft and ended up being fit in to aerotech steelfiber fc 90g regular shafts. Overall he swung the 90g shafts about 1.2mph slower but ball speed went up 9mph. Efficiency went from 1.25 with the 70g shafts to 1.37

stayed with his m4 irons but simply switched shafts. overall picked up 20 yards of carry and spin only dropped 300 rpm

Wanted to bump this back up as I have been thinking about heavier wedge shafts. What purpose does a heavier shaft in the wedge serve exactly? I am currently gaming Recoil 110's throughout my set even my 54/58. I haven't noticed any real issue with them other than I've lost a few yards (15 to be exact on average). Its not a huge deal but it does leave me wondering if I put heavier shafts back in the wedges what would happen?

Since you bumped @jdtox , my only update is that I've been playing the 565s with 65g shafts lately and I'm really comfortable with them...played my 18 hole PB the other day with them and while I would like to keep things the same to see if I can make some sustained scoring improvement, I have the itch to play one of the other sets (nike forged pro combo with the DG S300s or the Burner 2.0s with the Ozik P95s) "just to see"...COVID has prevented me (all of us) from getting back with my instructor to get his feedback but I'll be making that appointment soon since they just opened back up.

This has me thinking.
I currently play a 85g shaft that was stock with the irons. I like the feel of the head for strikes(basically because it’s incredibly smooth). Would it be worthwhile to get fitted for heavier shafts or would the cost be so expensive that it would make more sense to get fit for a new set?

Last edited:
Back