limited driver budget

TCB2010

How good do the HMB’s look?!
Reaction score
My current driver is a ping g and its 4 years old bought new.
So I'm needing a little THP help with some knowledge and experience you may have with the 3 I have listed. I'm wanting to buy new and under $300 and the reason for new is because I'll play it for a few years and for that reason I can't justify used. So it is what it is..

Current options- a year or so old, which I'm fine with.
Srixon z585
Cleveland launcher HB turbo
Bridgestone tour b JGR

If you have any other ideas, please share also!

what are your needs? do you need help hitting the ball higher or lower? do you need max forgiveness, or to be able to work the ball? are you high spin or low spin?

i would be remiss in not mentioning the TE EXS 220

Your picks include some of the lesser used brands/models. That's not a commentary on the quality of the clubs, just that it may be harder to get feedback from the community. You may want to consider searching for and reading the review / forum feedback sections for each club. Also, if you are looking for 1 year old it seems pretty likely you could include the bigger name OEM's in your search. As an example, the Epic Flash in "like new" condition driver is mostly $299 at CPO. Even less for lower condition models. I'm sure the same is true for the other brands.

Edit - I clearly had reading comprehension issues earlier this morning and missed the part about wanting new.

Last edited:
Tour Edge EXS 220

Since you want new, I can give you my feedback on one of the drivers you listed. The Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo is a very good driver. Had I not been selected for the Morgan and had I not received a Cobra Speedzone Xtreme, the Cleveland would be in my bag. I hit the Cleveland last fall when I was in driver pondering mode and it performed well.

what are your needs? do you need help hitting the ball higher or lower? do you need max forgiveness, or to be able to work the ball? are you high spin or low spin?
my ideal would be-
9-9.5*
high launch low spin
i dont need adjustable weights, i hit it fairly straight, dont really need fade or draw control, i tend to draw it a little.
460cc
i like ping drivers so in a perfect world of $500 id go with ping g400 max or ping g410 sft

ive thought about the new cobra but ive never hit one and wont really have the opportunity to try one
i have not hit a callaway driver in forever.
i have played a titleist driver in the past but minimally and i mean minimal and am not to fond of them.
outside of that i dont know.

the reason behind the 3 options is, ive had success with srixon irons which dont mean anything but..
i used to play the original cleveland launcher and had success
and the bridgestone i was just throwing that out there.

my ideal would be-
9-9.5*
high launch low spin
i dont need adjustable weights, i hit it fairly straight, dont really need fade or draw control, i tend to draw it a little.
460cc
i like ping drivers so in a perfect world of $500 id go with ping g400 max or ping g410 sft

ive thought about the new cobra but ive never hit one and wont really have the opportunity to try one
i have not hit a callaway driver in forever.
i have played a titleist driver in the past but minimally and i mean minimal and am not to fond of them.
outside of that i dont know.

the reason behind the 3 options is, ive had success with srixon irons which dont mean anything but..
i used to play the original cleveland launcher and had success
and the bridgestone i was just throwing that out there.

personally I don't think you're going to find anything that is legit high launch low spin without lofting up (like, way up).

g400 max is awesome if you don't care about sound/feel. it's pretty loud. g400 felt better to me but g400 max was an awesome performer.

cobra f9 is awesome. if you care about sound/feel, I think it's way better than the speedzone line (to me).

I freaking LOVED my bridgestone j815 driver. probably the best I've ever gamed. I think the jgr would be in the same vein, so if you like bagging something off the beaten path I think that would be a fun one.

the deal on that tour edge is pretty impossible to beat. sounds like that's your winner.

You can get a G400 MAX for a good price...I bought mine new and still have it in the bag. Just a good all around performer!

You can get a cobra F9 for like 250 on budget golf.

As a high capper, I can only offer my experience with the 2 Cobra drivers I've had. F6 & F8, The F8 is the best driver (for me) I've had.

I think for an all around performer, it would be difficult to beat a PING G400 standard head. You mentioned you like PING. I am confident you could find a new one in your price range.

Add me to the G400 Max chorus. If it fits your budget it is a solid long and forgiving driver. The only older driver that I still recommend to folks on a budget is the XR16 if you can find one in good shape.

There's a ton of love for the Tour Edge equipment here too, I just haven't hit them personally.

thank you for everyone's input
i had a member at this fine place THP offer me up a new ping g400 max on the cheap within the budget, i had to take it.
thank you again everyone for the comments!

i had a member at this fine place THP offer me up a new ping g400 max on the cheap within the budget, i had to take it.
THP comes through again!

Look at the Tour Edge EXS (last years model). $200 on their site right now and it is a very solid driver.

Ben Hogan GS53 is a really solid choice

Look at the Tour Edge EXS (last years model). $200 on their site right now and it is a very solid driver.

If you believe the driver charts with MOI, the previous model EXS is quite low MOI ~ 4300 especially compared to the ~5000 of the G driver. I bet the Ping is still quite competitive.

Dave

My dad just got a new Tour Edge Driver and loves it. He tried a bunch at the pro shop and that outperformed a lot of the top brands for him. He picked up big distances off the tee. He's a single digit handicapper who has been playing a long time and this was his favorite driver yet.

I have a TM M6 driver with a Paderson R flex shaft that I'd be willing to let go for real cheap. PM me if your interested. ;)

This driver has been slightly used.

I have a TM M6 driver with a Paderson R flex shaft that I'd be willing to let go for real cheap. PM me if your interested. ;)

This driver has been slightly used.

that sounds like a nice combo...I love the M6.

that sounds like a nice combo...I love the M6.

I wish I could say it was for me. For whatever reason I have more success with a stiff shaft. :unsure:

This is awesome! Gotta love the THP community! Well done whoever made the offer! (y)

Back