List your favorite coaches

Jimmy Valvano is hands down my favorite.

Then WAY down the list below him are Tommy Lasorda, Jeff Telford, Pat Riley and Phil Jackson

Real - Jay Wright
Fictional - Patches O’Houlihan

Mike Krzyzewski
Jim Valvano
Joe Torre
Joe Maddon
Don Zimmer
Mike Brey
Leonard Hamilton

Last edited:
I was thinking about this because there are quite a few great coaches with Utah ties (Utah being home for me):

LaVell Edwards is one of the all time great college coaches, who revolutionized the passing attack at the college level.

Urban Meyer got the University of Utah into a New Years Day Bowl, the first non-major school to break through.

Dick Motta first coached at Weber State in Ogden, Utah.

Rick Majerus was a legendary basketball coach at the University of Utah.

Frank Layden is well known and probably saved the Utah Jazz from being sold and moved from Salt Lake City.

Jerry Sloan was a hall of fame coach for the Jazz.

Kyle Whittingham is a very well respected PAC 12 coach at the University of Utah.

I had to do some research on Utah coaches.

Ike Armstrong. I didn't realize the University of Utah had such a storied football program. He was coach from the 1920s through the 1940s and had many very good teams in those years.

Also, Utah State has had a couple of decent football coaches recently.

Chuck Noll
Vince Lombardi
John Wooden
Paul Brown
Don Shula
Jim Leyland
Scotty Bowman
Mike Sullivan
Herb Brooks
Gene Mauch

EDIT - I agree Dungy should be on the list (below) and I missed Joe Gibbs, who won multiple championships in two major sports.

Brown and, to an extent, Lombardi were before my time, but they have my respect, even though it's hard to like a successful CleveBrownies coach.

Coaches I didn't necessarily respect, but liked having in my team's division, include

Hue Jackson
Marvin Lewis
Freddie Kitchens
Sam Wyche
Eric Mangini
Pat Shurmur

Last edited:
Tony Dungy. Incredible coach, better person.

Back