Little Wedge Project

bane = butane?

I asked about other gasses, because they would definitely do the job faster. Would they potentially make the color deeper?

Sorry, that was sent by my phone and apparently it changed the word on me. Yes Butane.

Im sure there are gasses that would do it faster and maybe even deepen the color. However I have no experience with them, so do not feel comfortable recommending them or not.

Using a torch ( like oxyacetylene torch ) you better be real careful as it heats up metal quick and you could do serious damage to the club , like melt it , or warp it .
Even though they have several tips that may work , like a small rosebud tip , but still this tip will heat things quick.

I would stick to the propane canister torches , they get hot yes but its a cooler flame .

Are you going to even out the colour or is that how your going to leave it? Either way, looks neat.

Are you going to even out the colour or is that how your going to leave it? Either way, looks neat.

Not sure. Normally I would have stopped at the coppery golden color, because that is how I like it. I left the torch on a few areas to show what can be done with longer times. The plan right now is that I am probably going to trip these again and due something else to show another project.

Awesome. I look forward to the next one for sure!
Not sure. Normally I would have stopped at the coppery golden color, because that is how I like it. I left the torch on a few areas to show what can be done with longer times. The plan right now is that I am probably going to trip these again and due something else to show another project.

The colors in that are pretty intense, nice. All the different colors blending in and out, reminds me of years ago as a wood worker working with teak wood. When you cut into, or planed below the original surface you found all the colors of the rainbow, just beautiful.

JB, I didn't read all the posts here, but will the colors stay or fade over time?

Love it man! Godd stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great JB. But I'm pretty sure you mentioned you swap you wedges out every year. What are you gonna do with this wedge when you're done?

*I smell another contest coming*

Looks great JB. But I'm pretty sure you mentioned you swap you wedges out every year. What are you gonna do with this wedge when you're done?

*I smell another contest coming*

Nah, this is a tester wedge head to work on and keep as a backup.

So I have put the wedge back in the vice and am going to further torch the entire thing. More in some areas, and less in others, so that people can see what happens after further heating. Pictures coming up later.

What would happen if you left the flame on for just too long?
So I have put the wedge back in the vice and am going to further torch the entire thing. More in some areas, and less in others, so that people can see what happens after further heating. Pictures coming up later.

What would happen if you left the flame on for just too long?

Things can burn I am guessing. I have never done it, so I cannot give you the proper analysis. But just like anything else, materials can break down.

Posting to subscribe. Cool thread. Thanks!

Here are some more pictures after doing some more torching this morning. People requested to see what happens after leaving the torch on a little longer, so we decided to do that (as well as even it out by request). To show what happens based on time, I left the torch on a little longer on the area that is high on the club face. You will see that while you can get some more vibrant colors, you will also start to turn the wedge a darker shade compared to other areas (look right in the middle).

1071086607_qdZnb-L.jpg

1071086661_rSu4n-L.jpg

looking good....looks like the raw haze finish on my Mizuno wedges,,,,I like it JB.
How do you feel about the outcome so far...pleased?

looking good....looks like the raw haze finish on my Mizuno wedges,,,,I like it JB.
How do you feel about the outcome so far...pleased?

For me, I would not normally torch this way. I usually stop when I hit a nice even golden brown.

But I wanted to show what different levels of time with the torch do to the metal and finish.

looks pretty sweet. Id be scared to hit it after all the work ya went through lol

You aren't quenching it in water or oil...right?

You aren't quenching it in water or oil...right?

No, quenching in oil would give you a much darker look in my opinion. However I will tell people, if you are going to do this, PLEASE wear gloves and protective eyewear. The oil can splatter quite fiercely.

As for water, I know some like to do this to cool it down quicker, but I prefer to let it cool on its own.

What a great thread. Hadn't ever thought of doing this but I do have a few old edges lying around.....

Will check my fire insurance clauses first.

JB, how would you go about removing the finish from an Odyssey White Hot Tour putter?

JB, how would you go about removing the finish from an Odyssey White Hot Tour putter?

Not sure about that. It can be a task.

No worries. I'm just trying to see what I can mess around with and I don't have much that I'm willing to risk ruining right now.

No, quenching in oil would give you a much darker look in my opinion. However I will tell people, if you are going to do this, PLEASE wear gloves and protective eyewear. The oil can splatter quite fiercely.

As for water, I know some like to do this to cool it down quicker, but I prefer to let it cool on its own.

I didn't think you would quench it since that would temper the metal.
Then it wouldn't be the original "true temper". (insert tongue in cheek here)

Back