Little Wedge Project

Looks like they would match up to a set of the dg spinner shafts nicely!

Really cool JB, I can't wait to see the rest of the process!

After a little bath for a while, you are left with a raw wedge. As you can see here, the paint fill has not been harmed. You can remove the paint fill if you would like, or keep it intact. One the wedge is raw, you can finish it or alter it in any way you would like. More coming soon.

1068609705_Nrw9u-L.jpg

wow that looks pretty good JB. How long of a bath did they get?

wow that looks pretty good JB. How long of a bath did they get?

I did it overnight, but it does not take that long. Some can put it in for about an hour or 2 and then rub the finish off with a sponge, etc...

Wow...I can't believe coke did that to that wedge. A little scare really...I wonder what it does to our insides? In any event, great thread JB...I'm excited to see how these turn out.

Looking great so far JB. Will you have to drill out the hozel on the heads before reinstalling the shafts? I've never done a shaft change.

Also, is it just a regular gun blueing kit like I would use on a shotgun?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Looking great so far JB. Will you have to drill out the hozel on the heads before reinstalling the shafts? I've never done a shaft change.

Depends on how the hosel looks but I cleaned it out pretty well.

Yes, a regular gun blueing kit works well. Now in my opinion, gun blueing works far better on a carbon steel than it does on a stainless. Leaning towards torching this guy, but may need some supplies.

These are looking good, how are the grooves holding up after a year of use?

These are looking good, how are the grooves holding up after a year of use?

Okay. They have been replaced as I do every year with new wedges. But I kept them clean and they still work quite well.

+2 on wondering what Coke does to your insides if it does this to these wedges....... Looking forward to tracking this thread!

JB that is awesome! You have motivated me to dip my 60* that I dont use and see what happens.

Once the finish comes off, do you have to protect the raw wedge? Will it rust if you don't protect it?

===== QUOTE thedue ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Depends on how the hosel looks but I cleaned it out pretty well.

Yes, a regular gun blueing kit works well. Now in my opinion, gun blueing works far better on a carbon steel than it does on a stainless. Leaning towards torching this guy, but may need some supplies.

That pretty neat, kind of gets my imagination going a bit. Sounds like you could use blue the shafts or even torch strongly and then a light blueing over that.

Heck, take to a jeweler and have something ingraved first.

JB that is awesome! You have motivated me to dip my 60* that I dont use and see what happens.

Once the finish comes off, do you have to protect the raw wedge? Will it rust if you don't protect it?

What finish are you working with?

Yes, it will rust if you dont protect it. It is basically just raw metal at this point.

Very cool project. I am also keeping an eye on this as well as everyone here. Looking forward to see the progress then the finished product.

The Nickent Gunmetal. But I've noticed that it doesnt wear at all even though I've kept the 50* in my bag since I bought them.

I'm just amazed at how yours turned out. Do you think you may do this with you gaming wedges going forward if this turns out good?
What finish are you working with?

Yes, it will rust if you dont protect it. It is basically just raw metal at this point.

The Nickent Gunmetal. But I've noticed that it doesnt wear at all even though I've kept the 50* in my bag since I bought them.

I'm just amazed at how yours turned out. Do you think you may do this with you gaming wedges going forward if this turns out good?

Not sure the Nickent Gunmetal will really work quite like this. Going off of memory, I believe they use a plating of sorts and it does not show wear.

I love the look of my new CG15 BP wedges, so will wait a while before I alter them.

Good news and bad news. Good news is that I have decided to torch the wedge and give it a nice golden bronze like finish with hints of purple and gold. Bad news is that about a quarter of the way in the process my torch died on me.

That will be fixed later today. But here are some partial shots of how it looks at the quarter way point. The entire wedge will be filled with that purple and blue streaks sitting on a nice golden finish.

1068666527_2oR2j-L.jpg

That looks great!!!!! Are the purple and gold byproducts of the heat?

Haha, I know I'm asking a hundred questions but it's just cool to see the process go.

Love the torching!

That looks great!!!!! Are the purple and gold byproducts of the heat?

Haha, I know I'm asking a hundred questions but it's just cool to see the process go.

No problem.

That's caused by varying degrees of oxidation from elements and heat. That's a very simple version, reading up on how metals reflect light would help with this.

Wow...I can't believe coke did that to that wedge. A little scare really...I wonder what it does to our insides? In any event, great thread JB...I'm excited to see how these turn out.

i saw an article that our state highway patrol carry the coke syrup in gallon bag in a boxes in their trunk for roadkill cleanup - it scrubs the roads clean of the blood/guts better than any solvent cleaner, and is cheaper. lol

That is awesome!

So will the blue/gold/purple stay there forever or will it eventually go away?

*Looks for wedges around the house to do this* lol

Thank you. I'm out of work soon and ill definitely be reading up. Maybe pick up an older wedge to mess with.

No problem.

That's caused by varying degrees of oxidation from elements and heat. That's a very simple version, reading up on how metals reflect light would help with this.

That looks really nice JB. I guess its the citric acid in coke that act as a solvent? How long do you use the torch on the wedge for effect?

Back