ANNOUNCEMENT Live Chat: Chris Voshall with Mizuno Golf

Chris,

How popular was the copper finish on the MP-20s? I really love the look and would love to see it offered in a wider array of options.

Has the proliferation of combo sets made it a little more difficult in terms of inventory management for retailers? Is that a discussion that has become a bit of an issue, particularly smaller brick & mortar types?

Question, if possible (I should be able to join Live but just in case)

The brand has seemed stepped up big time its accessibility over the last year plus, while still retaining its brand image; how has that translated in sales? Is that more evident in woods than in other product types?

Really means a lot to hear that it feels like we have stepped up while keeping real to ourselves. In regards to sales, 2019 was amazing. We had a record year at Mizuno (up about 35% over 2018). On the wood side, the new strategy is working even better. We were up 80% year over year with the ST190 line, and the ST200 was off to an even hotter start…until the COVID-19 mess!

I am intrigued with the MP-20 HMB irons, will probably test them if I ever get a chance. For a higher handicapper like myself (usually 17 - 19), do you see them as a potential fit?

Any discussion of making the blue a special or limited option in the new meatalwoods with how well they’re being received?

2nd Q - this one a little bit more difficult. Is the fairway wood market more difficult to break into than the driver market? Would that explain how there are more SKUs for drivers than fairways?

Great business question. So typically FW share directly follows driver share. Once a player liked your Driver they are far more likely to give your fairway a shot. Also, the retailer can more easily move though inventory of drivers vs. fairways so they are more likely to take an inventory risk in bringing in more SKUs of driver. The plan is that if the consumer purchases a driver, they can then custom order a FW to watch rather than overflow the retailer with tons of product.

That blue putter tho..

How was the market receiving your putter line prior to this whole mess?

Chris - with the release of the new putters, how do you think Mizuno will fare against other big box names in that area of the market?

Morning Vosh!

How much fun is it to work with Mizuno, and what is the most insane thing you have gotten to experience whole working with Mizuno?

Hopefully all is well! Keep safe!

Why do you think the metalwoods category for Mizuno never really took off before the last couple of releases?

Chris, thanks for joining us! Mizuno has long been associated with the highest of quality irons (especially in the forged set). For us mid-high handicappers, what should we look for when we consider getting fit for a forged iron set? How does Mizuno approach the design and construction to blend forgiveness with the forging (as many other companies only forge faces so they can include other materials inside to max forgiveness)?

My question : the Mizuno ball over the past several years has not seemed to target the US market, are there plans to change this? I've heard really positive things about the ball so what can he tell us about it?

Starting with the RB Tour and RB Tour X, we have made a big push to be more global with our launch and target the US consumer a good amount more. In the past these were balls that were developed and our US team had very little input. That has changed 100% with ball development now. We are heavily involved and have even straitened involving our Tour staff. Look for some awesome things to come in the ball market from us!

The last few released Mizuno has seemingly gone very much away from the EZ lines that they had in the past. I know Hot Metal has been that product that helps to reach the higher handicap golfer, but do you every see Mizuno bringing back the EZ philosophy in the near future for irons/woods?

Based on the Youtube Videos and Social Media posts I've watched and read, t appears that Mizuno in Europe is prevalent or more "Accepted" that in North America.
Is that a misconception on my part?

What product is the KALE SALAD of the Mizuno lineup......? :rolleyes:

Where does your distain for breakfast for dinner come from?

Of all of the iron designs you've worked on, which one surprised you the most in terms of performance or "buzz"?

Hmm...cool question. Surprised me the most...I'd say the MP-59.
We knew it was an awesome product. Everything about it. But how it did sales wise globally was amazing. Far better than MP-58 (it's predecessor) and any other Ti Muscle design behind it.
We knew it was good, just surprising how good.
It helps that it looked super cool.

Hey Chris! Lets talk putters, what makes these putters different than Mizuno putters of the past? I personally am a huge fan of the blue 2. Do you expect more shapes in the future?

A couple things different from Mizuno putters of the past.
1) They are forged from our 1025 material (the only others I can say that about were the TP Mills designs, but these are much different than those).
2) They are all designed in house and produced by us. For example, when working with someone like Bettindari, they control a lot more of it. With these, it's all us, which I like.
You'll see, the shapes aren't anything earth shattering, yet, but they are great examples of precise executions of classic designs.
You will see more, for sure! And they look awesome...

Which club type (driver, fairways, hybrids, irons, wedges) are you the most excited about in the next release?

How much has social media changed the way golf products are marketing and in particular Mizuno?

A couple things different from Mizuno putters of the past.
1) They are forged from our 1025 material (the only others I can say that about were the TP Mills designs, but these are much different than those).
2) They are all designed in house and produced by us. For example, when working with someone like Bettindari, they control a lot more of it. With these, it's all us, which I like.
You'll see, the shapes aren't anything earth shattering, yet, but they are great examples of precise executions of classic designs.
You will see more, for sure! And they look awesome...

I love teases like this.
Warms my heart.

Out of our group if corona ever lets us get to PGA national - who takes the bear trap to town, and who gets mauled?

Back