ANNOUNCEMENT Live Chat: Chris Voshall with Mizuno Golf

Chris,

Ive drooled over Mizunos blades and micro cavities since i was in high school on our golf team. Ive never pulled the trigger for whatever reason. Ive played Cleveland TA3s, Titleist AP2s, Wilson FG Tour V6s, Cobra Pro Combos........

This MP 20 lineup has me drooling pretty hard again. But, im all over the map as to which ones aesthetically id like most. MBs, MMC, HMB....theyre all beauties! Ill lok for any advice from you in narrowing that down and also......Why has Mizuno never produced an iron with a dark finish like other brands?? I see the new coppers, but im not sure id qualify that as a different finish?

THANKS!!!!!

My honest answer here, is that you should combo. Where you need the most control, get the blades. Where you need the most forgiveness, get the HMBs, where you need something in between, get the MMCs. The set was designed to mix and match like that.

Regarding the finish, that's one thing i love to talk about. We take so much pride in our quality that we make many things in shiny chrome. It's the finish that requires the most attention to detail. It hides ZERO defects (unlike satin, or dark finishes). We like to show that off on our product and that's why you don't ever really see too many variances from that idea.

The last few released Mizuno has seemingly gone very much away from the EZ lines that they had in the past. I know Hot Metal has been that product that helps to reach the higher handicap golfer, but do you every see Mizuno bringing back the EZ philosophy in the near future for irons/woods?

To piggyback on dean's question, is there any chance the Fli-Hi models come back to the JPX line? I had a 4 hybrid with the XP105 shaft that was maybe the perfect club for me.

My first set of new irons that I purchased were the t-zoid sure irons and I've always thought Mizuno made some of the best feeling irons period. But previously the Mizuno woods (and to an extent wedges) have not always received the same acclaim. You recent releases in both areas have been terrific but how do you get golfers to realize that and try those products?

How does the blue finish on the putters hold up over the long term from use and being taken out and put back in the head cover 18 times a round?

As silly as these seems, are you able to stay busy 8 hours a day with Mizuno Golf while you are working from home?

how's the learning to Surf going? still a goal?

How difficult is it to maintain the feel that Mizuno is while adding the forgiveness that most of us need? (and at the same time maintaining the aesthetics). Is advancement in material tech helping with this?

Chris - something I've often wondered about is the inability to customize a direct order from Mizuno USA through its website. Is this something that may be in the plans for the future?

And building off that, given what is going on with the current stay-at-home orders, is there a way to (for a lack of better term) capitalize on this despite the inability to get properly fit? Perhaps a nominal fee (and hold on CC) to rent a Shaft Optimizer to allow golfers to get the best information they can and have clubs ready to go by the start of the golf season? How is Mizuno looking to position itself and stand out in the current environment?

Custom off the website is something we have held off on for a long time (like Ping and Titleist). We are trying to keep the the retailer and PGA professional involved in the process as much as possible. While people may believe they know their specs, there are no standards, so we want to encourage people to actually hit before you buy. We believe this will lead to better purchases, and better fits throughout.
If a customer does want to order though, there are options. TGW.com for example.

The second part is an awesome question because we have discussed exactly that. While we can't execute immediately, you could see something like that in future.

First Time Long Time!

Still would like to know that if butter is the descriptor of all things soft, why is it cast?

My honest answer here, is that you should combo. Where you need the most control, get the blades. Where you need the most forgiveness, get the HMBs, where you need something in between, get the MMCs. The set was designed to mix and match like that.

Regarding the finish, that's one thing i love to talk about. We take so much pride in our quality that we make many things in shiny chrome. It's the finish that requires the most attention to detail. It hides ZERO defects (unlike satin, or dark finishes). We like to show that off on our product and that's why you don't ever really see too many variances from that idea.
Love this entire answer. Cool that you moved to allowing the consumer more flexibility in what they play. I play a combo set of another brand, with more forgiving irons in the 4-6, and more control in the 7-PW. First time doing a combo set and I've really enjoyed it. As for the finish, love that you want to show off your craftsmanship. Mizuno irons are some of the best looking, so keep it up!

Was Tracy a Vegetarian when you met? I know that is a hard convert, My Bestest half was 20 year Vegetarian when we met, I eat plant based 90% of the time.

How long has the phrase "nothing feels like a Mizuno" been around and was it initiated interally or born from the internet?

Because I don't know, I "Assume" that most golf companies "Outsource" club head manufacturing, however I get the impression that Mizuno produces and manufactures at least their Iron Heads, Wedges and Putters, is that truly that case?

Sound has pretty consistently been a big story from the consumer perspective regarding Mizuno's MP lineup.

Can you go into a bit of detail depth on how critical that element is on design, and how often something has to get scrapped purely on audible change?

How has the inclusion of boron into JPX Forged heads from the last few releases been received? Do you feel this decreases the feel in that particular model compared to the older JPX Forged(Pro) models prior to the boron inclusion?

Love answering this question as well. It's amazing how Boron has been given a bad reputation in terms of feel, but in actuality, it's the geometry causing the feel differences. Boron has allowed us to go thinner. Thinner = weight savings and higher CORs. Thinner though, is going to feel thinner, and hotter, and different. It's going to take away from some of that blade like feel we had before on older Forged and Pro JPX models.
Overall, it's the geometry that's going to change the feel. Hit one of our wedges that are forged from Boron but are not thin faced and you'll feel what I'm talking about.

You’ve done the E-flex with your superspeed training. Will you be able to back that up playing with THPers?

How much has your driver swing speed increased since beginning the Super Speed program?

Sounds like a good time.
I have a Mizuno Fli Hi 18º driving iron with Exsar Blue shaft.

It's a great club for tight driving holes, but creates the delemma as to which club to pull to make room for it.

Also would like to try the face balanced Type 3 putter, but nowhere to do that now.
That was a great club, but an old one with the Exsar Blue. A very under-rated shaft!
At 18 degrees if obviously closest in loft to a 3 hybrid or a 5 wood, but would expect a much different (lower) trajectory from that (despite the name).
I would pull my longest iron/strongest hybrid/or weakest FW to make room when needed.

And regarding the Type 3 putter, most of the National Accounts (PGATSS, Golf Galaxy, Worldwide Shops) all have them, and if you can’t find it, there’s always our website.

My first introduction to Chris was watching some TXG vids, he's excellent.

I LOVE the performance of the RB Tour but it's poor durability is a non-starter. I'd be interested to learn if Mizuno plans to improve the cover.

When they do, it'll be my ball for as long as they make it.
This TXG guys are great, aren’t they? Definitely fun to work with and extremely knowledgeable. And Matt swings it alright. Ha!

So the RB Tour has been an interesting launch for us. Came out of the gates very hot showing that there was a bigger demand from people interested in trying our golf than we anticipated. With that came the trouble as we hurried to keep up with demand. We found that some of the early batches that came out did have some durability issues, but it wasn’t 100% of the balls.
We actually did pause production last April to fix the issue and made a running change on the cover.

It went relatively unnoticed from the consumer side, but if you try them again, you should see better cover durability.

Thanks for asking though. It’s good to have a place to get the real story out!

What sets Mizuno irons apart? Is it feel? Technology? Precision? Design? I guess another way to think about this is how does Mizuno want to be viewed in the industry?

You are a vegetarian, could you do vegan?

I'll admit I don't track much at all on Mizuno balls. Love your irons. Learning to appreciate your drivers, fairways, and rescues. Surprisingly interested in the mcraft-2 putter from two shop rolling sessions. But Mizuno golf balls, not so much. What am I missing?

Where did Mizuno blue start?

Do you yourself play a Mizuno ball? If so which one?

Also is it true that if you work in the golf industry you never get to golf?

Back