Live Update Thread: 2019 Ben Hogan Experience

Now that I'm home from work I can reflect on this past weekend.

First, I want to thank JB, GG, Tyler and the people at Ben Hogan that made this event possible, it was truly an awesome time. It was fun spending time with a few guys who were new to THP events and soak in all of the great things Ben Hogan had to offer. There really is nothing like being in a THP event, and we are lucky to have that opportunity.

Jrt13- You are the only one I didn't get to play with this weekend, but I heard all about your game from everyone that did. It sounded like you were tearing up the course man! I'm happy we were able to catch breakfast together on Friday morning so we had a chance to get to know each other.

JbCobbIII- I got to play both rounds with you and had an absolute blast. I know there were some rough times on the course but loved your attitude and it was awesome to see you turn it around on Sunday and hit some really great shots.

Qwkz51- It was a lot of fun playing on Saturday during our first round, you can absolutely pound the ball. None of us brought our A game during that round but I can tell you that we had a lot of fun while doing it. We will have to get that make up round in sometime!

jbuck31- It was awesome finally getting to meet you after we've been talking for a long time leading up to this event. I'm happy we were able to get to play together during the practice round Friday since we weren't able to tee it up together during the event. Your first event turned out to be a great one, and I hope it's your first of many!

LLIB- What a fun round we had on Sunday my man. We got up big on them and started to leak oil and you drained a putt out of nowhere to seal the match, that was one of the best moments of the entire weekend right there on 8 green! When I think it can't get any better, you hit that awesome iron shot from 10 fairway up onto 18 green and help seal the match with the clutch putt! That was one of the most fun rounds of golf I have ever played!

JB- It was a lot of fun teeing it up with you once again! While neither of us played great during that round it was entertaining for sure, especially when someone in the group 3 putted from 2 feet to go from winning a hole to losing it ( we won't name any names haha ). Thanks again for everything this past weekend, it's one I'm going to remember for a long time.

Tyler- What an absolute blast it was playing golf with you on Sunday. Thanks for allowing us to ask questions and you giving us a lot of information on the Ben Hogan brand and what it's plans are. Appreciate you taking the time out to come play with us hackers!

The generals- Thank you for taking the time out of your lives to help us make sure we had a great time. I know that it was very time consuming and it is much appreciated.

I am not sure the forum knows exactly how much you guys all did. First day was CPO and in a shamble there are golf balls that aren't close to each other. Mike was running all around the course (and it was 90+ degrees both days) getting those golf balls to make sure we didn't have to and we could focus on our shots. He would run out to the fairway and laser the distance for us before we even had a chance to grab a club. They would both help each team read putts and let us know where to not miss on the hole. It was really a nice addition to the event because the course was tough around the greens. I'm not sure I've ever played a course where it was that tough for me around the greens. Lag putts and getting up and down were very tough here, and if you missed in the wrong spot it was almost impossible. The fact that they helped us with that was so valuable.

This weekend was one I won't forget, and really enjoyed the friendships that were created. The clubs were fantastic and I can't wait to get them back on my home course to see how they perform for me here. The driver was my favorite club in the bag the last couple days and can't wait to hit it again!

Lets see if I can put this unforgettable weekend into words. Thanks to THP, JB, Morgan, Tyler, & BHG for making this all possible. It was my first, but hopefully not last, event and it surpassed any expectations I had.

Qwkz51 - We didn’t get to play together and I’m disappointed in that. I wanted to see you blast that driver. Everyone told me you’re a good dude and you lived up to it. I’m glad I got to meet and get to know you. I’ll make it down at some point so we can tee it up.

Jrt13- You are the definition of smooth and even keeled, both in your golf game and your personality. You didn’t say much during Saturday’s round because you were ultra focused, a trait I wish I had. But we got to have a great conversation at dinner Saturday evening. Hopefully we meet up in a future event.

JBC3 - You are one of a kind my friend. And I say that in a good way. I don’t know that I’ve ever met anyone as polite as you. I know you struggled a little but you hit some tremendous wedges that made life rough for OG & I. Your positive attitude was contagious.

jbuck31 - My partner for the practice round and Saturday is a fairway finding machine. I struggled mightily with the driver but he always had my back. The ultimate grinder he carried me against Tyler & jrt13 and we almost pulled off the upset. I couldn’t have asked for a better partner to start my first event. I see a few rounds together in our future.

OG - All he knows is fairways & greens. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen someone as consistent from tee to green as you were Sunday. I know you think you struggled around the greens but you kept us in good position all day. You kept me grounded so I couldn’t get in my own head and put me in position to make some shots. It was great bunking with you and Jeff and getting to know you guys. Hopefully we can get together for some rounds this fall.

JDax - The general for Team Tyler that helped me out like I was on his team. Reads, pep talks, even swing tips. He did it all and then some. I know you didn’t want it to end how it did but you showed me a lot by putting my experience ahead of your own. Nashville is a cool place and I plan on getting back down there soon. Hopefully we can meet up.

E1iterate - My biggest cheerleader, swing coach, caddie, shrink, you did it all for me this weekend my man. You believed in me on some shots when I didn’t think I had a chance. I’m proud to call you my teammate and friend.

Tyler - Driver off a side hill lie from 275 out. WTF?!?! And he pulled it off. The only thing better than his game is the man himself. So humble and gracious. Answered everything with a smile. Even with me badgering him about a 7w for the whole weekend. He could have ignored me or told me to shut up but he had a smile on his face every time he told me no, lol

JB - We didn’t get to play together but I hope I did you proud. I did seem to play better when you were around, lol. Thank you for including me in this and for everything you and GG do for the community.

I have now officially reviewed every post in the thread! A winner will be decided shortly!

Well, it actually came down to @JDax's Top Gun gif and @E1iterate's picture of the OB sign on #6 for Tyler! I contacted both and both gentleman declined the prize! So, that just goes to show you what kind of stand up guys they are! So, I chose another post and the winner.......is......robrandalgz! I will also like to say...it was super hard not to choose @Sox_fan after he posted so much in the Live thread!

I was a huge fan of the Live Instagram feed for the Playoff. Felt like I was there for a second.
Yeah it was pretty awesome! Happy for @e1iterate ! Those 8 range balls must have made the difference!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

To all the THPers, Believe the Hype for these events, it is REAL !!!!!
As a first time participant, I was anxious, nervous and extremely excited to be selected for this Experience. And I can honestly say it blew away my expectations. From start to finish, the whole experience was surreal. Driving home I looked over to change lanes and caught a glimpse of that Sunburst BH Logo and all I could do was smile. Actually, I still don't think the smile has left my face. If this is still a dream, don't pinch me, because I don't want to wake from it.
JB, GolferGal, Tyler and Ben Hogan Golf, thank you for your generosity and dedication to this amazing place. I met a group of great guys this weekend and am proud to now refer to them as friends and my golfing family.

J.B. Cobb, , You are a stand up guy with a BIG heart. You are a fountain of Ben Hogan knowledge. The chip shot you hit on 18 from the junk was spectacular with all that pressure on you. I did not get the pleasure to tee it up with you during the event but I truly hope we have that opportunity in the future.

Qwkz51 - Glad your little guy recovered in time for you to make this trip, wouldn't have been the same without you. I had an absolute blast in our match on Sunday. You can absolutely crush the ball! You and Jrt13 kept the pressure on JB and I all day. I kept waiting for either of you to make a mistake to take advantage, but you guys just never let that happen. Your blind approach shot into the 15th green, then followed up with burying the putt was the dagger we could not recover from. I may need to expand my "travel zone" to head down to tee it up again.

Jrt13 - The "Silent Assassin"! I'm glad I got to tee it up with you on both days. Your effortless swing was fun to watch. I knew I might be in trouble when at breakfast on Friday you say to Ohiogolfer and I, "I'm not a long hitter, I can get it out there about 290". LOL, me too with Driver and wedge. I really did enjoy the conversations during breakfast as well as dinner on Saturday night. Wish you nothing but the best and hope we get to play again in a future event.

Ohiogolfer - Man, what can I say. Right from the very beginning when we were selected, you were a database of knowledge providing LLIB and me with details of how these events go, what to expect, kind of kept our nerves in check as best as possible. We all had some great conversations both over the text messages before hand and as well as at the house during the event. During our practice round, you and e1iterate were awesome. Helping us navigate the course, keeping us in the moment when we started to get a little frustrated. LLIB hit the nail on the head describing your game "Fairways and Greens". Love that consistency and positive attitude. We will definitely need to get a few rounds in during the year.

LLIB - My man! It was a blast playing the practice round as well as the first round with you. This man is a Wizard with a wedge in his hands. And don't let him fool you, he can putt his tail off. We played very well off of each others games, I may have had your back off the tee but you had mine with the irons/hybrids. When I would leak one out there, you would throw a dart into the green and take the pressure off. Just like OG, we will need to get together and tee it up again in the future.

Tyler - Thank you (and Ben Hogan Golf) for this opportunity. I wish I would have been able to witness the Driver off the deck from a side hill lie, that is truly stuff of Legend. I am honored though to have been able to play a round against you. It's not very often I get to witness someone that can strike the ball the way you do. I still am curious to know if you need to get FAA clearance before your tee shots?

JB - Sunday was a lot of fun being paired up with you. From the one liners to the solid golf shots, I had an absolute blast. It was a lot of fun watching you stripe it down the fairway all day long. I wish I would have been able to hit a few more shots to be able to keep the pressure on Qwkz51 & Jrt13. It was an honor to participate in helping you get your HOF tag!

The Generals - e1iterate and JDax, you guys were the unsung heroes of this weekend. From running to get yardages, retrieve balls for the groups to sharing your knowledge and experience of the course. Most importantly, you helped keep us calm when we needed it, boosted our confidence when necessary and kept us loose with a timely wisecrack or three. I can not say thanks enough for everything you guys did to help make sure everyone had the best experience they possibly could.

This experience is something I won't soon forget.

The Ben Hogan Experience- The Recap: Part 1

Another great weekend during a THP Event, I have a lot to unpack, so I’ll just break it down in segments.

Nashville & Gaylord Springs:
The last THP Event held in Nashville was the 2014 Putting Extravaganza w/ SeeMore Putters. I have been lobbing the last several years on the Forum to bring an event back to Nashville. The issue with bringing an event to Nashville has been more golf courses related, than town related. The 2014 Event was held at The Hermitage. The course is a major draw of any THP Event, and if the course isn’t up to the high standard that has been set, then an event can’t come just because the town is great. No matter how great the town is, the town can’t be the draw for a THP Event.

My home course, Gaylord Springs, is the best semi-private course in the area. It has members (like me), but is owned by the Marriot and gets a lot of play from both members and those staying at the Opry Land Resort. The layout is really good, and it has held Champion’s Tour events as well as numerous TN State Opens & US Open local qualifiers. I begin to think that maybe the course was worthy of hosting a THP Event. The issue was that my frame of reference was only the 2 different courses of the events that I have played in, The Hideaway & Talking Stick (I played in the 2017 SEC Regional Rivalry, but to this day I’ve never played the front nine of Shell Landing). Those 2 courses are totally on different ends of the spectrum. Nothing compares to The Hideaway, but I knew Gaylord Springs was better than Talking Stick. Last October, a THP Event veteran, Freddie “The Panda” Kong played the course with Mike and I, he really enjoyed the layout. When I was at the Distance Powered by Srixon event to help with the coverage, I pitched Gaylord Springs as a possible host course for an event. Not knowing that it would possibly come this year on the calendar, my feedback was more throwing it back out there.

JB reached out and told me that The Ben Hogan Experience would be coming to Nashville & Gaylord Springs this year in June. My heart sank for a second, because due to historically high rain fall this year, the Cumberland River over crested and flooded many of the holes on the course for only second time in the last 20 years. As an example, the flooding was so bad that in the month of February, only the 9 inland holes were open the whole month, and the rain hasn’t really let up enough this year to get all of the work needed to be done to recover fully from this amount of rain. I was worried; no doubt, I didn’t want a THP’ers event experience to be hampered because of the course.

Over the last several months, slow progress to recover had been made, but with 4 weeks left until the event, the progress wasn’t enough to my liking. I met with the Head Pro, and expressed my concerns the week of the NFL Draft with middling traction, there was tons of play on the course NFL Draft Week, and I hated every tourist that came over from the Resort. How were they going to get work that needed to be done completed with Nashville being invaded for the Draft? I then took my concerns straight to the Course Superintendent, and broke down what I was seeing on the course. Even exchanging e-mails while my wife was in the hospital discussing specifically the 3rd, 5th, and 16th holes (JB did tell me to stop this). I was satisfied with the game plan laid out, and held my breath, I knew that Nashville would be ready (it’s always ready), but would the course be ready?

A week out from the event, Qwkz51 aka HawtCarl drove down and played the course with me. We finally got a week without rain and the course ran firm and fast, he got beat up by the wind conditions (We played from the member’s tees at 6550 yards, no problem for him) and the green speed, but he loved the course and the layout. Exhale. It rained every day the week of the event, making the course softer and more receptive, but the course held up and drew rave reviews from the participants. There were still some places that they were working on, but the course delivered a challenging but fair experience. In October, many of the holes are going to get redesigns to help the course drain better and create more grass rough bunker areas. There are 110K sqft of bunkers currently on the course, that is being cut to 70K. All in all, I’m proud that the course delivered the required experience.

To Be Continued in Part 2…

Last edited:
@J.B. Cobb III, @OhioGolfer, @Jbuck31, @Jrt13, @Llib
I'm still processing everything from this weekend a million times over. What were your personal favorite shot/hole from the weekend? My personal favorite was on #15, I hit a high flyer into the water to the right. My rock solid partner @Jrt13 comes thru in the clutch and delivers a safe shot, way out of danger, but not an easy shot into the green. He goes left and the shot dribbles down the mounds but in play. We are completely blind to the hole. Our fearless leader @Jdax rolls up and gives us a line to aim for. 138yds out, at least 25' up hill a steep incline to clear. I step up first, pull my PW, take a solid cut and while I can't see the shot I knew it was on the line Dax gave us. Jon hits his pure too, we both have something to work with. We climb the hill and see there are 4 balls around the green. 2 on, one above the hole, one below, 2 short just off the green. I was sitting below the hole but on about 12' out. Jon was just short, as was Buck, JB is on but above the hole. That hole pushed us dormie, and we win the next hole to win the day 2/1. 9/10 times I botch that shot, or walk away with bogey. A big thanks to Dax for showing us the way and getting us the match win.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm still processing everything from this weekend a million times over. What were your personal favorite shot/hole from the weekend? My personal favorite was on #15, I hit a high flyer into the water to the right. My rock solid partner @Jrt13 comes thru in the clutch and delivers a safe shot, way out of danger, but not an easy shot into the green. He goes left and the shot dribbles down the mounds but in play. We are completely blind to the hole. Our fearless leader @Jdax rolls up and gives us a line to aim for. 138yds out, at least 25' up hill a steep incline to clear. I step up first, pull my PW, take a solid cut and while I can't see the shot I knew it was on the line Dax gave us. Jon hits his pure too, we both have something to work with. We climb the hill and see there are 4 balls around the green. 2 on, one above the hole, one below, 2 short just off the green. I was sitting below the hole but on about 12' out. Jon was just short, as was Buck, JB is on but above the hole. That hole pushed us dormie, and we win the next hole to win the day 2/1. 9/10 times I botch that shot, or walk away with bogey. A big thanks to Dax for showing us the way and getting us the match win.

My favorite shot was the approach on 18 Sunday. OG and I were down 1 going into hole 17. We won 17 and head to 18 tee. After OG smashed a drive dead into the wind we were still 215 out. With the wind it was playing more like 240. It was a par 4 but I told OG because I was popping on the hole I was gonna play it like a par 5. My pitch game had gone to hell and I felt way more comfortable with a full shot.

I grab 8i to hit my lay up and dead yank it left into #10 fairway. We get over to the ball and I’m 115 out but again the wind and elevation change was making it play about 135. I grab 8i and I must’ve looked nervous because e1iterate steps is and tells me just to relax and swing smooth. I step up to the ball and look up at the green and there are 6 guy standing above the green looking right at me. Cue the nerves. I tell myself don’t chunk it and to just finish the swing. I’d been hitting my approaches solid all day. I make a nice smooth pass and hit it flush. I watch it fly towards the green but I can’t see where it’s gonna land. I heard guys start to shout and I get up and I’m sitting about 15’ from the flag. I made the 2 putt for net par to force the playoff.

That was the most nerve racking, fun shot I’ve ever hit.

*Edit to add - I may be remembering the details wrong. I was so focused that last hole, which is weird for me, that I don’t really remember much but hitting the shot.

Last edited:
My favorite hole on the course is #5. It's tough and the green is a bear with the severe slope left to right. But the hole is just so darn pretty! The big single Oak tree perched by itself on a rock wall on the left side halfway up the fairway and the rockwall on the left side of the green with the pond/marsh area to the right below the green. Absolutely beautiful.

My favorite shot had to be the putt on #12 on Sunday w/ JB. I was just on the green above the hole and had a tricky down hill breaker left to right. e1iterate steps in and tells me, "you got this, aim right over this dark patch of grass, just enough to get it going and trust your line". I step up and barely touch the ball, rolls right over the spot, breaks hard right and rolls dead center in the cup!

@LLIB and @jbuck31

I remember both of those shots you mentioned. You guys did the work and made it happen. Those were two of my favorites from the weekend as well. You both played beautifully. Congrats again to you both, you earned it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 2 person favorite shots would be-

#13 tee, Tyler had just put this tee shot directly over the pin and from the tee box it looked really good, Bill had hit his close to the water but wasn't sure if he was in and I didn't want to ask because I didn't want that in my head when I was about to swing. We were down 1 and I knew we couldn't afford to go down 2 at that point, stuck the tee shot to about 12 feet and Bill made a great 2 putt on that green for a net birdie to get us the win.

The other one was 17, the other par 3. We were down 1 once again and had just found out the other match was over. We had to win 17/18 to force a playoff. Tyler and Cobb both hit the bunker down on the right so we had a little opening. I just wanted to make sure I got it up there by the putting surface. Hit a really good 5 iron to the fringe to keep the hope alive. Bill made another great up and down for net birdie to get us all square going into 18.

Carl that was a great shot no doubt. I also liked the putt you hit I think it was earlier in the match. I was to your right- had a slightly uphill 8 footer that I missed just left. But you had about a 12 footer, a little left to right and just nailed it to help us tie the hole. I have two others... Sat on 14, slight dog leg right about 320 yds (?)- right of the cart path is in the creek. I jokingly tell my partner Tyler to split the trees on the corner with a draw... instead he goes over the left edge. Our opponents are like- I don’t know that may not be good. Tyler turns to me with a wry smile, saying- I hit that hard. We drive up... his ball is setting next to the trap within 10 yds of the green!....Last but not least, the first par 3 on the front 9. Everyone hits their tee shots and all are a ways from the hole. Team JB with @Jbuck31 and @Llib are just off the back right 3 ft or so off the green. Guessing they are 30 ft from the hole. Bill- @Llib pitches to within 8-10 ft.... then proceeds to bury the putt for par net birdie to win the hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite shot was the approach on 18 Sunday. OG and I were down 2 going into hole 17. We won 17 and head to 18 tee. After OG smashed a drive dead into the wind we were still 215 out. With the wind it was playing more like 240. It was a par 4 but I told OG because I was popping on the hole I was gonna play it like a par 5. My pitch game had gone to hell and I felt way more comfortable with a full shot.

I grab 8i to hit my lay up and dead yank it left into #10 fairway. We get over to the ball and I’m 115 out but again the wind and elevation change was making it play about 135. I grab 8i and I must’ve looked nervous because e1iterate steps is and tells me just to relax and swing smooth. I step up to the ball and look up at the green and there are 6 guy standing above the green looking right at me. Cue the nerves. I tell myself don’t chunk it and to just finish the swing. I’d been hitting my approaches solid all day. I make a nice smooth pass and hit it flush. I watch it fly towards the green but I can’t see where it’s gonna land. I heard guys start to shout and I get up and I’m sitting about 15’ from the flag. I made the 2 putt for net par to force the playoff.

That was the most nerve racking, fun shot I’ve ever hit.

*Edit to add - I may be remembering the details wrong. I was so focused that last hole, which is weird for me, that I don’t really remember much but hitting the shot.

Bill, that last putt to push it to sudden death was nails man. That 5 footer was down hill wasn’t going to be short that’s for certain. You drilled that dude right into the middle of the cup. Well done!

My favorite hole on the course is #5. It's tough and the green is a bear with the severe slope left to right. But the hole is just so darn pretty! The big single Oak tree perched by itself on a rock wall on the left side halfway up the fairway and the rockwall on the left side of the green with the pond/marsh area to the right below the green. Absolutely beautiful.

My favorite shot had to be the putt on #12 on Sunday w/ JB. I was just on the green above the hole and had a tricky down hill breaker left to right. e1iterate steps in and tells me, "you got this, aim right over this dark patch of grass, just enough to get it going and trust your line". I step up and barely touch the ball, rolls right over the spot, breaks hard right and rolls dead center in the cup!

The best thing I remember about your play was all your drives in the fairway...you made us sweat buddy, between that and your putting. Start calling you Radar!

Just took them out of the trunk and cleaned them up! Automatically increased the value of my home by adding so much class!!! IMG_9937.jpg
IMG_9938.jpg
IMG_9939.jpg
IMG_9940.jpg
IMG_9941.jpg
IMG_9942.jpg
IMG_9943.jpg
IMG_9944.jpg
IMG_9945.jpg
IMG_9946.jpg

IMG_9947.jpgIMG_9949.jpgIMG_9950.jpg

I love how BH can make modern gear look so clean and classic.

Just took them out of the trunk and cleaned them up! Automatically increased the value of my home by adding so much class!!! View attachment 39967
View attachment 39968
View attachment 39969
View attachment 39970
View attachment 39971
View attachment 39972
View attachment 39973
View attachment 39974
View attachment 39975
View attachment 39976

Those custom X-Stiff Nippons are ... #ShaftGate

Those custom X-Stiff Nippons are ... #ShaftGate

IMG_9951.jpg

Straight heat magnets!
#Shaftgate #JDM #BenHoganCustomerServiceIsAmazing

JDax.... the ultimate team player but in the end sacrifices himself for the greater good on multiple occasions

lebron.gif
Ultimate team player and excellent Captain. Willed his team on 18 to halve the hole and force a playoff. Could've snuck off to the range and hit 8 bad golf shots of chunks, blades, and toppers just to get the bad swings out of the way and know what to do adjusting on the 18th hole.

Congrats to all the participants. @JDax May not have gotten a HOF tag but HOFer in my book bro!! #Cartner

Ultimate team player and excellent Captain. Willed his team on 18 to halve the hole and force a playoff. Could've snuck off to the range and hit 8 bad golf shots of chunks, blades, and toppers just to get the bad swings out of the way and know what to do adjusting on the 18th hole.

Congrats to all the participants. @JDax May not have gotten a HOF tag but HOFer in my book bro!! #Cartner
Agreed!

Actually I was attempting to will a halve on the 18th hole for the win... I’ll get to this in my update, but OG & LLIB won both the 17th and 18th to win their match and force a playoff. #Nails

7654659b5c5378feb015876c9f95170b.gif

I appreciate the sentiment, though.

Back