Live Update Thread: 2019 Ben Hogan Experience

New JDM Golf Glove.
Need oven mitts to even swing them they are so hot.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Is that an oven mitt? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New JDM Golf Glove.

View attachment 39980

Straight heat magnets!
#Shaftgate #JDM #BenHoganCustomerServiceIsAmazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My UA golf glove ripped after only playing 2 rounds with it this weekend. I thought it was just poor construction, but apparently it wasn't flame retardant! So, needed something that could take the heat!

My UA golf glove ripped after only playing 2 rounds with it this weekend. I thought it was just poor construction, but apparently it wasn't flame retardant! So, needed something that could take the heat!
Could be that, probably more that the UA gloves are garbage though. You should definitely play that glove on the course though!

I tried to pull a Tyler with the driver today, didn't work as well for me
d8b9e2a8e0dafd3fc79902e2087296bd.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I tried to pull a Tyler with the driver today, didn't work as well for me
d8b9e2a8e0dafd3fc79902e2087296bd.jpg

Did you even get it off the ground?

Haha I did but it was a little right

Pretty successful if you ask me. About 220 and “slightly right.” Nice chip and a burned edge birdie try

Just placed my full bag order with Tyler today.

Thank you again everyone for an amazing weekend!

0e83694d1ca537cc865626f4ea9fb68c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Love it Mike, you are going to enjoy them!

Pretty close to my exact order. You'll love them Mike!!

9* driver....:shock:

Awesome prize right there!

Nice Mike! My only critique is you should’ve went with the Helium. You don’t hit the driver high enough

Nice Mike! My only critique is you should’ve went with the Helium. You don’t hit the driver high enough

Right? Lol!

The Ben Hogan Experience- The Recap: Part 2

I finally have a moment to sit down and share more thoughts on the recent Ben Hogan Experience, so without further ado, lets continue my recap.
After this event was announced, JB reached out and floated an idea that Morgan came up for this event. Since E1iterate and I were members of the host course for many years and have played 100s of rounds there, we would serve as non-playing caddies or generals that would guide each team around the course. I loved the idea, we conferenced in E1iterate, to run it past him, and he also loved it. The Teams were announced, I would general Team Tyler and E1iterate would general Team JB, and we were off.

This was my 2nd event this year that I would attend, but not play (Distance Powered by Srixon being the other), I have been asked numerous questions about this, so let me take a moment to address some of the most common questions. I’m not retired from signing up to play in events; I have signed up for several events this year and just didn’t get the call. I enjoy helping create the experience for the THP’ers that get into these amazing opportunities, sometimes it’s Odds Threads, sometimes it’s Commentary Videos, etc. The community helping create the experience by following along is one of the great things about THP, and I just try to do my part.

Speaking of helping create the experience, at the time that this idea was pitched to E1iterate and I, I really didn’t know how fulfilling this overall experience would be in the end; this was a really great group of guys. I think that it’s important to remember that just because a particular event doesn’t move the needle for you, doesn’t mean it’s not another THP’ers Grandaddy. I get knocked at times for being a “Callaway Guy”, and this is somewhat true (sorta an inside joke from Noelle at the Srixon Event), I’m really a THP Guy, which has an inherent brand of first refusal bias. The guys in this event were Ben Hogan Guys, and their excitement and love for the Ben Hogan brand was infectious. As well as Tyler’s belief in what the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company is doing and how good their gear performs.

After the teams were announced, I immediately began to communicate with my team on a daily basis, to answer questions and give them advice that I believed that would make the lead up to the event go as smooth as possible. I have played in several THP events, but I had never been in the role as leader. This leadership role was a different experience that consisted of part swing whisperer, part club fitter, part travel agent, and part therapist.

The Rules that I gave my team were very simple:
• Don’t become a Range Rat- Playing is better prep than grinding at the range.
• If you are going to grind, grind over your chipping & putting.
• Don’t over think your club order- Forgiveness is your friend & and don’t fall in the trap of over thinking shaft selection (more on this later).
• Don’t bother the event sponsor, they have a job too.
• Doesn’t matter what your Handicap ends up being, just make sure it’s honest.
• Have Fun, Soak in the Experience.

I believed that I had set up a framework to make my Team successful… To Be Continued in Part 3.

You forgot you other rule jdax. When all else fails, send in Nippons.

I kid I kid. And Hawt Carl will love on forever.

#ShaftGate is coming, there is a story about when I find out during the practice round, that only Team Tyler knows, that I will share.

Heroes get remembered, but legends never die

The Ben Hogan Experience- The Recap: Part 3 (Practice Round & #ShaftGate)

I apologize for taking so long to get this done, but work has been a beast lately. When last we left off, I discussed the rules that I gave my team for months in the lead up. As a reminder, those rules were as follows:

The Rules that I gave my team were very simple:

• Don’t become a Range Rat- Playing is better prep than grinding at the range.
• If you are going to grind, grind over your chipping & putting.
• Don’t over think your club order- Forgiveness is your friend & and don’t fall in the trap of over thinking shaft selection (more on this later).
• Don’t bother the event sponsor, they have a job too.
• Doesn’t matter what your Handicap ends up being, just make sure it’s honest.
• Have Fun, Soak in the Experience.

I want y’all to file these away in the back of your head as we continue this re-cap, and keep in mind that I had been reinforcing these rules to Team Tyler since 4/23/19. With that being said, let us continue our journey.

About a week out, pairings had been announced at random, JBC3 & HawtCarl would go out together on Day 1, followed by Tyler & Jrt13. On Day 2, the pairings would be changed out and JBC3 would go out with Tyler, and HawtCarl would play with Jrt13. There was much hand ringing when this was announced by one member of my team, because his feeling was that we had a distinct advantage if I made the pairings. Let me clear this up now, Morgan’s random pairings would have been exactly HOW I WOULD HAVE SET THEM UP, and we got lucky they was set up that way. End of discussion on pairings, with the format that ended up being played these pairings are the only reason that the event went into a playoff.

E1iterate arrived at my house on Thursday night, and we met JB and Tyler the next morning to drop off the clubs for the event that had been sitting at my house. They were really excited about the weekend that they had planned for the participants in the event. On a side note, there is a lot that goes into making these events special for the participants, and JB & GolferGal (along with the sponsors) put in a lot of work into making sure that every event is an experience that will be cherished for a long time by the participants. I knew that they put in a lot of work before, but there are many things that the participants don’t see to pull off these events without a hitch, much respect to them.

E1iterate and I met our teams on Friday before the Event kicked off of a practice round at the host course, Gaylord Springs. This provided a chance to run them through the paces on the course and answer all questions about proper positioning before play in the event started. It was decided that we would play the same format (18 hole match with 9 holes Shamble Best Ball then 9 holes with Shamble Combined Score) that they would face the next day, with me playing with Jrt13 vs. HawtCarl & JBC3. I had already played the week before with HawtCarl and he had trouble with the green speeds in route to a nice tidy 101. As the participants would see, there are just some places on this course that you have to avoid if you want to get up and down, my goal during the practice round was to highlight the places on the course that they had to stay away from to score.

The practice match wasn’t much of a match as Jrt13 & I won the match against JBC3 & HawtCarl by a score of 7&5. In handicapped events, one of the key competition factors is how close to their turned in handicaps can your team play to in the competition. I was notified about a week out that since one of my team members had not played enough rounds on the Grint App to get a verified handicap, we would have to play with what that team member turned in which was an 18. I’m not sure what this team member shot in the practice round, but it was an avalanche of strokes and 18 was a pipe dream, and that meant that he wouldn’t pop on holes that he should during the competition (this was the reason that I discussed this exact topic in my rules). With that being said, there was reason for optimism for Team Tyler as HawtCarl had gotten better on the green speed, and Jrt13 bested his cap by a stroke, combined with the fact that Tyler is a stick, I knew that we wouldn’t get boatraced because of the way that the pairings broke down.

As we arrived to the 13th hole of the practice round, I started to notice chatter on the forum from Morgan that someone in the event had sent the OEM custom Nippon shafts that aren’t part of the stock offering to be installed on their irons. I was the last person on the team to arrive to the 13th green, and started laughing stating, “Have y’all noticed the forum? Some idiot sent the Hogan people custom shafts that they had installed on their irons, what an Internet Golfer donkey move…. LOL this is great. I know that it wasn’t one of y’all…. <crickets>.”

No one is saying anything, as I carry on, and then it hit me, the “idiot” that I was referring to was one of them. With this realization, I ask point blank, “Did one of you send Tyler custom shafts that aren’t part of their offer, to be put in their irons? That’s a real baller move, and you better be an exquisite ball striker if you did that, and I haven’t played with one today.” I look around and JBC3 slowly raises his hand and states it was him, and in that moment #ShaftGate was born. I don’t even remember what I made on the 13th hole, because I got very heated and the following exchanges were contentious to say the least.

Let me take a moment to explain why I was so irate, there are a variety of reasons really:

• This move was disrespectful to the sponsor, and messes with the integrity of reviewing the equipment. Why would any THP’er want to read the reviews about an equipment set up that you can’t buy from the OEM?
• This is a baller move, and the offending party was on his way to needing an abacus to determine what he shot on the day.
• Remember my rules? This move violates at least 2 of them point blank. I felt disrespected in this moment.

For the record, Tyler approved with this #ShaftGate request, however, my point of contention is that the request should have never been made in the first place. For future event participants, don’t pull this move, if the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer has given you a shaft not offered by the OEM, wait until you review the gear that people can actually buy directly from the sponsor before you go all Internet Golfer and changing the set up. I’m a big believer in playing what you want to play, but show some decorum for those of us that would like to see these events continue in the future. I’d like to also state that JBC3 and I have put this #ShaftGate issue to bed, it’s all good now. I know this portion might come off as harsh, but in the immortal words of Usher (from the song Confessions II), “If I’m gonna tell it, then I gotta to tell it all…”

Next time we will cover the actual event itself and give some shout outs… To Be Continued in Part 4.

Last edited:
Good recap.
I want to state that I was just giving Cobber a hard time. Yes its a baller move, but he handled it all in stride and we had a great time in our round together.

Great recap @jdax looking forward to part 4 sometime in September. Seriously, I love reading your recaps, they take me back to a fantastic weekend that almost didn't happen. Luckily little dude rebounded, and I was able to convince his momma to make the trip. I can't imagine the regret of missing this event!!

Great recap @jdax looking forward to part 4 sometime in September. Seriously, I love reading your recaps, they take me back to a fantastic weekend that almost didn't happen. Luckily little dude rebounded, and I was able to convince his momma to make the trip. I can't imagine the regret of missing this event!!

How do you know that Part 4 wasn't started at the same time as Part 3, like when The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions was filmed at the same time?
And we need to make this name change happen as soon as possible.

I still have one last re-cap part to post... hmmmmm

JDax;n8874035 said:
I still have one last re-cap part to post... hmmmmm

Talk about the cart wreck?

Back