Lob vs sand wedge

One thing to rememeber is that there is a plethora of options for bounce, grind, and loft... for the right handed player. The left handed golfer has more limited options

Very informative discussion here. Thanks to all. Regarding bounce, the CBX and CBX2 wedges all fall between 8 and 12 degrees, which makes sense if they are trying to fit "most" mid and high handicap players it seems. But I would definitely look at Ping Glide when it's time to replace. As far as swing flaws, I don't think I've ever grounded a wedge. My short game miss-hits are mostly blades/thinning and also skewed to full swings/longer pitches, although I think my wedge play overall is decent for my handicap. If one were to look at my miss-hits in a round and rank the parts of the game where they are occurring by frequency, short game would probably be third or fourth on the list.

Guys, it's not about loft, it's about whether a wedge grind/bounce fits you.
Could you explain a little. I see that you have an exact 5 degrees between your wedges. "Wedges: Mizuno MPT20 48/8, 53/11, 58/12 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge "

Why not 4 and 6 degree or 6 and 4 degree? Loft must mean something. Just asking....

Could you explain a little. I see that you have an exact 5 degrees between your wedges. "Wedges: Mizuno MPT20 48/8, 53/11, 58/12 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge "

Why not 4 and 6 degree or 6 and 4 degree? Loft must mean something. Just asking....
That's just an even split - could have gone 48, 54, 60 like some pros. I started at 48 this time because my PW is at 45 and is CB ... I wanted a Gap Wedge that was stronger in loft to go a bit farther so it would be more useful to me.

I wanted to end up at 58 ... this time. A 58 is more versatile for me than a 60 for chipping. I've gone 58, 59, 60 in the past. I still question not using a 60 at times. But need to get the new wedges out there and see.

Just curious what y’all think - should high handicappers attempt to own/play a LOB WEDGE around the greens? Or are they better off just simplifying things and going no higher than a 54-56 degree SW?
I vote yes. That being said, I think most golfers do not really know when to use a lob wedge. It isn't only about distance.

It all depends on how you use your wedges too. A lot of high handicappers would benefit from a fitting where they get fit for different grinds in wedges to help in different situations. If short game is a weakness then why wouldn't you want more help there?

It all depends on how you use your wedges too. A lot of high handicappers would benefit from a fitting where they get fit for different grinds in wedges to help in different situations. If short game is a weakness then why wouldn't you want more help there?
Good advice and a wedge fitting would certainly eliminate some areas of doubt one might have.

I recently put a 58 degree wedge in my bag. Yes it took quite a bit of practice to make it work for me. Recently its been very effective, especially in deep bunkers when I'm close to the edge.

After reading, responding, and pondering on this thread, I have decided to start the season with the Lob wedge back in the bag and see how it goes with 52/56/60.

Back