Lofts on older irons...

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am putting my old Hogan Edge GS Ft. Worth’s into play, because why not? So I’m having them re-gripped at the moment (found a gift card) with GP Tour Wraps that matches the previous grips. They were at least 7 years old, but hadn’t been used in 5. Best just to get it over with.
Anyway, when I dropped them off I asked to have the 7I loft checked. I figured that would give me a general # to compare to. Came in at 35°, pretty standard for the time. I then googled the stats for the lofts. I found ironfinder.com gives a spec for each club. So across the set they list the individual loft for each club. Turns out the GS’s are a bit all over the place. A degree or 2 off up or down across the set. Since the current Hogan’s are gapped at 4° w7I at 34° it might be a fun first couple of times dialing them in.
So if you have and old set and don’t have the specs, try that site to find the info.

while it is true the older era clubs had weaker lofts, I think that the gapping was fairly consistent. The forged clubs could also have been bent a little simply from use.

Very true. Knowing what the specs were back in the day when they were new is very important when you are getting them checked and possibly adjusted.

Yes, the numbers may have changed over the years to to hard use, etc... but the main message was for those folks who might want to know the lofts (or what they’re supposed to be) on an older set where it might be tricky to get the information.

Back