Long Hitters - A Question

How often do you club down to be 'considerate' of pace?

• Every now and then. I'll explain. My

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Never. **** that. Y'all can wait!

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • I resign myself to iron off the tees on busy days.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other - I'll explain

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
Weird day at the course with passing vehicles yelling racial slurs, and a couple players that were definitely a couple holes and groups ahead early on circling back and slipping in behind. Totally effed up the flow.

Which leads me to the question -

As a longer than average hitter, how often do you use less club on the tee to keep things moving??

Not hit into the group in front, not make everyone in your group (and all the ones behind you) wait, etc.
What our group would do is have me , or the longest hitter hit last, shortest hitters go first.

100% dependent on circumstance really- I'll lay up with a group on our heels to keep pace up, but I've also waited entirely too long to go for the green in two also. So really just depends on what's going on that particular round.

I wish I could participate in this thread

I'm not a long hitter by any means, but I don't feel like hitting a 4i off the tee or laying up on a par5 is going to affect the pace of play as we're just going to be waiting on that same group in front of me again on the next hole. I'm going to wait and play the shot I want to play...even if I then chuck the ball about 27 yards.

Not super often but I’ve definitely done it. On my former home course there were a few holes that have blind landing areas, and I just never felt comfortable hammering one out there without knowing what might be on the other side. Shouldn’t be an issue at the new home track.

Not generally off the tee but I often do this on Par 5’s.

What do you define as a “long hitter?” I know that I am not, under any reasonable definition, taking into account the entire golfing population. That being said, nobody should ever change his style of play to accommodate pace. That is simply handcuffing a person who has another gear.

Shouldn’t short hitters who play the appropriate tees face the same dilemma?

Not super often but I’ve definitely done it. On my former home course there were a few holes that have blind landing areas, and I just never felt comfortable hammering one out there without knowing what might be on the other side. Shouldn’t be an issue at the new home track.
Was really glad when they put a bell in on one whole at @Muchmore course that I play quite a bit to deal with this, but now nobody actually rings it. 🤦‍♂️

Was really glad when they put a bell in on one whole at @Muchmore course that I play quite a bit to deal with this, but now nobody actually rings it. 🤦‍♂️
It’s incredibly frustrating waiting for that bell and never hearing it.

It’s incredibly frustrating waiting for that bell and never hearing it.
I get it. They put one up on my former home course and it was like pulling teeth trying to get people to actually ring it, and it was the worst blind tee shot on the course.

I get it. They put one up on my former home course and it was like pulling teeth trying to get people to actually ring it, and it was the worst blind tee shot on the course.
It doesn’t help that they don’t have anything stating to ring the bell when you’re on the tee box. Plenty of people play the course that don’t play all the time and may not even be aware it’s there

It doesn’t help that they don’t have anything stating to ring the bell when you’re on the tee box. Plenty of people play the course that don’t play all the time and may not even be aware it’s there
That too - but I played with a few people that watched me ring it, and asked why I would do that, despite the sign over the bell saying “ring to inform tee box of all-clear”. 🤦

That too - but I played with a few people that watched me ring it, and asked why I would do that, despite the sign over the bell saying “ring to inform tee box of all-clear”. 🤦
Some people 🙄

On a par 5 that I can get to in two, no chance. I’m waiting to top it just like you’re about to, group behind me.

Drivable par 4, that’s a 50/50. How much risk is there, how much wind etc is there.. Then I might wait. Might lay up. Depends what I’m also laying up with!

+1

I'm the same way. Something about standing on the tee box on a driveable par 4 with the group behind you shaking there head like "Sure dude, you think you can drive the green from here?" messes with my head a bit so I'll just lay up when it's going to be a long wait.

I’m most likely standing on the tee with my rangefinder hoping to hit the club I want and checking the group in front every 10 seconds. If the group behind is catching up, like on the green, I’ll lay up. I’ve probably been waiting too long and I’m cooled off by then anyway. I get cold quick so I have to keep constant movement going. I don’t like laying up when I think there’s a better play but my body’s limitations make it the better choice.

We are not long hitters. When we are matched with folks that can legitimately hit long, we just hit first. Why waste time waiting for him/her. Then just hide behind a tree or to a side and let a long hitter hit.

If I'm waiting for the group ahead, I'm exactly where I need to be. Group behind us not my concern.
You bet...thats my job, keeping up with the group ahead. I rarely turn around to look until a ball starts whizzing past me...then the switch is flipped. Hitting a ball into a group I am in...is dangerous...for the group behind me.

We will have the shorter hitters tee off first then the bombers. Normally there is zero issue with pace we are right on the group ahead.
That’s what usually happens with me. My drives average 270 which isn’t killer but by the time my partners play the group in front is moving. Occasionally I’ll roll one up to or through the group ahead but that’s maybe once every 2-3 rounds.

Back