Long putter on tour

royalwulff

Reaction score
Handicap
I don't know if it is just me, but does there seem to be more belly and chest putters on the PGA tour now?

I don't know if it is just me, but does there seem to be more belly and chest putters on the PGA tour now?

I would agree that there are several. They have been the topic of many discussions. I guess if it works and gives you confidence, then why not.

Its fairly new to the tour, and even newer that its being accepted on tour. I like them.

No doubt there is. I want to spend some time with one next time at PGA SS.

---
- Tappin' in support of Team Hackers!

I would agree that there are several. They have been the topic of many discussions. I guess if it works and gives you confidence, then why not.

Thanks I guess I missed those discussions somehow.

I really question the use of the belly putter on tour as it fundamentally changes a basic golf stroke and holds out the potential to do for a pro golfer that cannot execute that basic golf stroke consistently what it has clearly done for Adam Scott for example. We have had this discussion in depth before but now we have a real example of a player making a huge difference in his prospects for victory by going to a belly putter.

Maybe this is finally the place where there needs to be a dividing line between what the pro golfer can do and what the weekend warrior can do at a very fundamental level. I think that it should be allowed for use for amateur golfers of all sorts, maybe even golfers participating in amateur tourneys. However when a belly putter takes a pro from a guy that simply cannot consistently get it done on the greens to somebody that can now run away with a tourney the way Adam Scott did this weekend, I have a problem with that. Adam has won on tour before thanks to that fabulous golf swing of his. However the belly putter may well turn Adam Scott into a real tourney monster and I really question whether that should be allowed to happen. I don't think we have seen Adam run away and hide like this even in his previous winning efforts.

If the belly putter did not provide the means to change and improve the player's ability to stabilize the club and execute the stroke then I would not have such a problem with its use on tour. However it clearly does precisely make that change and can turn a guy that is not even a mediocre putter into a quite proficient putter in the blink of an eye. While there might be physical characteristics of some golfers that makes it more difficult for some guys to putt with the standard putter those may likely be physical attributes that enhance their ability to make other strokes.

I prefer a fat grip putter, but I have tried a belly putter and I really liked it.

There are a few more than previous years.

I hereby predict that Adam Scott will be the first PGA player to win a Major with a long putter.

(Yeah I know, really ballsy prediction after this weekend right?)

How does it fit in their bag!?

There are several more than in previous years, but they have been around on tour for awhile, Vijay has been using one for several years, what is different now is there are tons of young guys using them.

Dunno about you guys but after watching Adam Scott this weekend gets me thinking...

Back