Long Side of the Bag

For me, it's driver, 4H, and then down to irons. There's a 1 gap club there, but I don't know whether to fill it with a hybrid or fairway wood, and I kinda don't want to commit to anything until I get my full swing more figured out.

How did you setup the long side of your bag? From driver through fairway woods. Base it on loft? Do they have to match your driver? How many clubs do you think is best for your setup there? Driver and two fairways? One FW? No fairways?

Thought a discussion on this side as some hybrids and irons get long would be a good one.
10.5 degree driver and 21* driving iron for me. I dont carry a fairway wood because I dont hit them very well off the ground. IMO, most high-handicappers and even probably some mid-caps would be wise to ditch their 3-wood (that they probably cant hit off the ground reliably anyways) and instead have either a 5-wood or a 3-hybrid.

I used to go Driver, 3W, 5W and then hybrids. I don't hit 3W well off the deck, and a well struck 5W goes a lot further than a mishit 3W so I'm now Driver -> 5W at the top of the bag. From there it's a Super Hybrid, 5H, then into irons starting with a 5i.

After my 13 degree driver, the next club is a TM #5 Fairway/Rescue, which is a mix between a hybrid and FW. Next in line is a Ping #4 Crossover iron/hybrid, and after that its normal 4-LW iron set up.

I usually get told my bag is weird hahaha

Driver
Strong 3w
Strong 2h
Utility Iron
SGI 4 Iron

Right now It's driver, then 2h, then 3/4 utility. Really excited to see how it plays out.

For me to play 6500-6700 yrd courses, I've got to have distance clubs and be consistent with them because my Driver SS is less than 100.

I tend to go

Driver at 9 deg
3 wd (15) or 4wd (15) at 43 inches - looking for max carry here
5 wd at 42.5
4h at 21 deg

But I also love my current 7 wd - decisions, decisions.

Last year I went driver, 2 hybrid, 5 hybrid, 5 iron, etc … total 13 clubs. I got along ok. I am slightly switching it up in 2022 with driver, 17° UW, 21° UW, 5 iron, etc. I still have room for a 3 wood but will wait and see.

On my home course in order to hit the par 5’s in 2, for a short hitter like me I have to hit perfect long drive (with helping wind) then shot of the year 2 hybrid, the key is the drive. My course hardly ever dries out so we get little roll even in the dead of the summer.

If my speed training yields a few yards more come spring and I am getting close to the par 5’s with the 17° UW I will probably think about a 3 wood and may test them once they get in which probably won’t be until May. If I get one that fits (dual purpose, off tee & fairway) I might keep an eye out for a good used one as it will be so late in the season that I expect lead times to be such that I may not have a new one until late summer if I was lucky. Key for me with a 3 wood it has to be great off tee and off the fairway. My all time best fairway was my Cobra F8+ but I just couldn’t get consistently good results off the fairway although it was great off the tee.

Back