Looking for a Critique

Dan McClellan

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm hoping to get some constructive criticism regarding my swing. I posted this elsewhere and it was suggested I move it in here. I've been out of the game for a while and just started back up in August. Following are a couple videos from a range session yesterday. The first is a 3w. I filmed myself straight on for the first time ever, and looking at it made me cringe a bit.

http://www.swingreader.com/video/vie...asZ?embed=true

My swing is too flat, my left arm is not straight, and my left knee comes in way too far. Those are the biggest things I noticed. If anything else jumps out at anyone, I'd appreciate the feedback. I've never taken lessons and I think I need to rebuild a lot about my swing if I'm going to be serious about playing competitively. The next is an eight iron down the line. The flat plane is even more evident. Something else I notice is the tendency for my right shoulder to tense up on my downswing. I wonder if this isn't responsible for my coming over the top.

http://www.swingreader.com/video/vie...TXY?embed=true

Any comments are appreciated.

Dan - I don't think your as far as you feel you are....there are some really good things in there along with some clean up items and a couple larger changes in your future as far as I am concerned. Overall...a solid move.

Setup - your position as setup are not correct with your arms and lower body. This affects not only how you take the club back but also your ability to get back to impact in a more fundamental way. What to do? I want your left arm straighter and across your chest more. I want your right arm in a more relaxed position. I want you generally taller and with your left hip shifted towards the target.

What's ahead of you? I am not at all worried about your backswing other then your arms get back behind you too much. Other then that your plane is fine. The biggest fault to work on would be improving your posture at impact. You can use on the little trees in the background but at impact you lose a lot of posture...your butt comes in and you stand up which will create some inconsistencies in hits.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have other questions but that is a quick review of where you are at.

Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Dan - I don't think your as far as you feel you are....there are some really good things in there along with some clean up items and a couple larger changes in your future as far as I am concerned. Overall...a solid move.

Setup - your position as setup are not correct with your arms and lower body. This affects not only how you take the club back but also your ability to get back to impact in a more fundamental way. What to do? I want your left arm straighter and across your chest more. I want your right arm in a more relaxed position. I want you generally taller and with your left hip shifted towards the target.

What's ahead of you? I am not at all worried about your backswing other then your arms get back behind you too much. Other then that your plane is fine. The biggest fault to work on would be improving your posture at impact. You can use on the little trees in the background but at impact you lose a lot of posture...your butt comes in and you stand up which will create some inconsistencies in hits.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have other questions but that is a quick review of where you are at.

Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Thanks Patrick! That's very helpful. I've wondered if I was standing up a bit on the downswing. I'll work on keeping hunkered down. It makes perfect sense that my setup is a mess. I've never been fitted for clubs; I have no idea if mine are the right size; I've never had my setup critiqued before. I feel like my hands hit my legs too often, especially on shorter irons. I think my dad showed me how to setup when I was ten and that's how I've done it ever since.

I tried to implement your suggestions today, and I was throwing darts all day. I shot a one-under 71. When I missed it was usually a toe, although I was always on target and just a few yards short, so I need to keep working on my distance from the ball and how far I'm bent over. Thanks a bunch!

Back