Looking for a new bluetooth speaker for golf

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
The Soundchuck I use for golf stopped working in one speaker so I am looking for a new one. It will most likely sit inside the cubby of the golf cart. Sometimes on the hood of the cart next to the windshield.

Trying to decide if I go ahead and get a real good one (JBL) for either 75 or 93 bucks depending on version or go lower in price and wattage with a Tribit XSound Go for 35 bucks or the Vtin R2 for 23 bucks.

Even the cheapest has more watts than the Soundchuck (4 total watts) and you really don't NEED a lot of sound on the golf course. You do want it to sound good but it doesn't have to be real loud. But having something that can put out some noise would be nice at home or elsewhere. With the JBLs, the $93 one has 20 total watts and the $75 one has 16 watts.

They are all Prime so if I don't like one I can send it back. Leaning towards either the cheapest or the most expensive. Only the cheapest one is not IPX7 Waterproof (submersible).

We have another speaker to use so it's not a rush but I kinda want to get something sooner than later! Also not set in stone on just these. In fact, JBL is the only name I know, and probably why I have two of them picked out!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

bluetooth 4 speakers.JPG

I went with the Bose Soundlink Mini II. A little more money through Amazon but the sound is awesome. Very efficient at low volume with very good base response.

I got the JBL Flip 4 just a few weeks ago. I didn't have to think much about it only because a playing partner had one and the sound even at low levels impressed me. I was all in.

It's been really good, battery life has been great, 3 rounds on one charge with more than a bit to spare.

Another vote for the flip. I’ve got one, it’s a great little speaker.

I enjoy the Puma Soundchuck. It’s small enough to fit in the cart cup holder and the clip is great.

However if your looking for something different you can’t go wrong with JBL they are fantastic speakers I know several people who use them.

Also check out a brand named Anker. I got my daughter one from Amazon and it’s really good for the price, I think it was around $40

smalls- i still have my soundchuck from the 2018 mc. never used it. pm me your address and it’s yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^^^^^^ THP at its best right there

I have the JBL Flip 4 and it works great, fits perfectly in the cup holder of the cart and for its size produces good quality sound. I also have a JBL Clip 2 that will clip onto your golf bag if that is something you'd like as well.

smalls- i still have my soundchuck from the 2018 mc. never used it. pm me your address and it’s yours.

What a guy! I use mine all the time. Love this thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a nice offer. If you're set on moving on from a soundchuck, I've had good luck with Oontz in the past. The following is 10W, IPX5 (so not submersible, but could handle the rain), and only $22 with the $4 coupon I'm seeing. We had the 1st gen of this speaker and it put out great sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Enhanced-Splashproof-Portable-Bluetooth-Radiator/dp/B010OYASRG/ref=sr_1_17

I'm also in the market for something, though I'd like something to clip on my bag for walking rounds. I'm kinda liking this Anker speaker, I know the brand is quality as I've had a ton of luck with their power banks. Only 3W, though.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-AK-A3182011-SoundCore-Waterproof-Microphone/dp/B017JY0UTU/ref=sr_1_15

I find that interesting that one of your speakers stopped working. We bought my Dad soundchucks (2 speaker version) a couple of years ago for christmas because he thought mine were awesome and convenient. And last Fall, one of the speakers stopped working. I myself am on my second set/pair/whatever of soundchucks because the power button stopped working on my first.

Anyways, I can't speak to any brand but JBL. I've heard them, they sound great. Some people at my course have knock off blue tooth speakers, and they also sound great.

More watts does not necessarily mean better sound. Plus, more watts may result in less battery life.

And I guess, without knowing the dimensions of the other brands, the JBL may fit better in a golf bag if you were to ever walk.

All I know is, when my current soundchucks go, I'm 95% sure I'll pick up JBL for a bluetooth speaker. There's nothing handier than the strap and strong magnets in each speaker, but the durability is suspect, and lots of speakers have better sound.

~Rock

I got the Anker sound core from eBay I think for $20 maybe 4 years ago and it's still pumping really strong.. I use it for golf, beach, bbq, etc

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Love my soundchuck mini but also have the anker brand on which is 4 years old and still going strong and sounds decent and much cheaper than the rest.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

This is a nice offer. If you're set on moving on from a soundchuck, I've had good luck with Oontz in the past. The following is 10W, IPX5 (so not submersible, but could handle the rain), and only $22 with the $4 coupon I'm seeing. We had the 1st gen of this speaker and it put out great sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Enhanced-Splashproof-Portable-Bluetooth-Radiator/dp/B010OYASRG/ref=sr_1_17

I'm also in the market for something, though I'd like something to clip on my bag for walking rounds. I'm kinda liking this Anker speaker, I know the brand is quality as I've had a ton of luck with their power banks. Only 3W, though.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-AK-A3182011-SoundCore-Waterproof-Microphone/dp/B017JY0UTU/ref=sr_1_15

if you're asking me whether i'm moving on from soundchuck, i don't listen to music on the course. the quiet and calm are a huge part of what i adore so much about a round of golf. a slice of heaven for me is going to a course on a weekday when it's pretty much empty, playing 18 holes by myself with no distraction from work or family. then going to practice for a couple hours after the round. all in dead silence. that's my happy place.

Thanks! I sent you a pm and will let you know after more research on other brands!

FWIW, I have the JBL Charge 3 (not used on the course), and it's a fantastic bluetooth speaker. Great sound.

I find that interesting that one of your speakers stopped working. We bought my Dad soundchucks (2 speaker version) a couple of years ago for christmas because he thought mine were awesome and convenient. And last Fall, one of the speakers stopped working. I myself am on my second set/pair/whatever of soundchucks because the power button stopped working on my first.

Anyways, I can't speak to any brand but JBL. I've heard them, they sound great. Some people at my course have knock off blue tooth speakers, and they also sound great.

More watts does not necessarily mean better sound. Plus, more watts may result in less battery life.

And I guess, without knowing the dimensions of the other brands, the JBL may fit better in a golf bag if you were to ever walk.

All I know is, when my current soundchucks go, I'm 95% sure I'll pick up JBL for a bluetooth speaker. There's nothing handier than the strap and strong magnets in each speaker, but the durability is suspect, and lots of speakers have better sound.

~Rock

Yeah I actually have 2 (a black one I use at home and an orange one I got for the course) and my best friend got one at the same time. His and my golf one both dropped one of the speakers so we basically have the new version but with a dangling speaker instead of a clip! They lasted a long time and we both got good use out of them considering we got them at a steal price (35 bucks on Amazon) three years ago I believe. Just looking for something with better sound to use around the house as well.

Yeah watts don't mean everything but they don't hurt! Most of them are giving a how long the charge lasts time with the disclaimer of half power or 2/3 power so on the course that is perfect since we won't be cranking out the jams most of the time! Although when it is deserted or we are playing a links style course in the area we turn it up a bit more!

As far as size goes I don't think any of the four I have listed are as big as the Soundchuck I have now when I have the speakers stuck together and it fit perfectly in my push cart bag under the handle and of course works just as well in the cubby of a riding cart.

I think I may actually have a JBL flip that was mentioned above that someone gave me a couple years ago. I should take it out and see if it works! I had forgotten about it until it was mentioned!

FWIW, I have the JBL Charge 3 (not used on the course), and it's a fantastic bluetooth speaker. Great sound.

I have the original Charge and I use it every day - It's a great Bluetooth Speaker....

Smalls- Check out the UE speakers. I have a UE Roll 2 and a Wonderboom that are fantastic. Small and pack a great sound, and can be found for a great price.

Yeah I actually have 2 (a black one I use at home and an orange one I got for the course) and my best friend got one at the same time. His and my golf one both dropped one of the speakers so we basically have the new version but with a dangling speaker instead of a clip! They lasted a long time and we both got good use out of them considering we got them at a steal price (35 bucks on Amazon) three years ago I believe. Just looking for something with better sound to use around the house as well.

Yeah watts don't mean everything but they don't hurt! Most of them are giving a how long the charge lasts time with the disclaimer of half power or 2/3 power so on the course that is perfect since we won't be cranking out the jams most of the time! Although when it is deserted or we are playing a links style course in the area we turn it up a bit more!

As far as size goes I don't think any of the four I have listed are as big as the Soundchuck I have now when I have the speakers stuck together and it fit perfectly in my push cart bag under the handle and of course works just as well in the cubby of a riding cart.

I think I may actually have a JBL flip that was mentioned above that someone gave me a couple years ago. I should take it out and see if it works! I had forgotten about it until it was mentioned!

Ideally, what you would really want to know is speaker range (20-20,000 hz is the human hearing range as I recall), and then you'd want to know if the speakers play all frequencies as equally as possible. Having the ability to play low base doesn't mean much if its 20db more quiet than what's playing in the 1000-6000hz range.

That said, no one makes speakers to play all ranges equally (almost no one, there used to be a company in Canada that made home theater speakers that played all frequencies equally). Most are designed to play base well, vocals, and then for some reason, the high/treble end (a speaker rarely needs help playing the higher frequencies).

Needless to say, I'm afraid you probably won't find this information on Amazon, or probably even the manufacturer pages.

~Rock

I have 2, one I use most is the JLab crasher mini.

https://www.amazon.com/Crasher-Port...ay&sprefix=jlab+crash,aps,190&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Great price, solid sound and I have beat the hell out of it and it still works like the day I got it. Small and easy to haul around which is why I use it. Con is it doesn't have a clip so not able to hang it on anything.

I also have a JBL charge 2, bigger but has the clip so helps make up for some of it. Little more difficult to get paired up with my tablet along with the larger size is why I use the Crasher mini all the time. Sound is better and the clip is great, but it is currently out of the rotation.

RE: Speakers by Anker.

I know Anker products well and also have a couple of their powerbanks. The problem with their speakers for me is that they are black and I prefer to have some color that doesn't blend in with the cubby of the cart.

Find my mini soundchuck works great for golf but depends on your preference/use.

Smalls- Check out the UE speakers. I have a UE Roll 2 and a Wonderboom that are fantastic. Small and pack a great sound, and can be found for a great price.

Seconded here as well. I have a UE boom that I use all the time. If the soundchuck ever gives up the ghost I may have to give the Wonderboom a go. Great value with UE.

RE: Speakers by Anker.

I know Anker products well and also have a couple of their powerbanks. The problem with their speakers for me is that they are black and I prefer to have some color that doesn't blend in with the cubby of the cart.

Spray paint.

~Rock

I use the SoundChuck mini on the course. I hang it from the cart roof and it sounds great.
I have the JBL Charge 3 at home and take it to the lake when I want tunes out there since it's water proof.
I think it's too big for the golf cart, but it does sound fantastic !

Back