Looking For Alternative Iron Shafts Other Than UST Mamiya Recoils

I have been a big Recoil fan for a while, but my last fitting put me into Steelfiber i95s, and I am really happy with them. I'm not the best at describing feel, but I'd say they feel tighter than Recoil 95s, in a good way. I've never tried Recoil 95 Protos, but have heard they are closer to the Steelfiber i95s. I've never had the Recoil ES 780 SW shafts in irons, have them in my hybrids and love them, but they are a bit light for me in irons, so I can't compare the Steelfibers to them.

True Temper bought them and I asked my clubmaker about flex - because Aerotechs tend to run firm to flex - flex has not changed whereas Recoils tend to run true to flex (as much as there are similarities)

If you want something in Constant Weight, try Accra. They were all bought by True Temper. I played an Accra i80 and enjoyed it. Now I'm moving up to Accra Constant Weight in 95g. The have a 4 inch tip so flex is easily attained.

Looking at he Accra iSeries iCWT 75R 2.0. It says the mass is M3. Can someone translate that for me?

Looking at he Accra iSeries iCWT 75R 2.0. It says the mass is M3. Can someone translate that for me?

m3 is accra’s flex. m4 is stiffer. m5 stiffest. personally i despised the i series. torque is too low and weight is too low. so you have a lightweight shaft that feels super stiff. not a good combo for me.

m3 is accra’s flex. m4 is stiffer. m5 stiffest. personally i despised the i series. torque is too low and weight is too low. so you have a lightweight shaft that feels super stiff. not a good combo for me.

Thanks for the comments, I've already looking past Accra. Looking at a Graphite Design iron shaft that looks like it might be exactly what I'm looking for. ;)

Maybe try the recoil 95 series, awesome feel and performance. Steel fiber performs but, IMO, feel awful.

I also like @OITW elevate suggestion, those feel great, the tech is legit.
or the 95 Proto's might be a good fit.

Just curious, I may have missed it but what is your goal with the switch?

or the 95 Proto's might be a good fit.

If OP, he's probably already decided since it's been 2 months. But maybe a guy with smooth tempo but stiff flex doesn't need lower torque.

When people say "constant weight" and "Accra" it seems clubmaker's eyes light up. M3 is regular flex, M4 is stiff BUT why 75g. I am an old man and going 95g. With a 4 inch parallel tip, they can make a stiff into a regular.

I had no problem with an 80g shaft in the I Series. Hits a high ball. But my HMBs are coming in at ICWT 95g in regular flex.

Personally, I would look at the Mitsu OT shafts - no spine. The OT and OT Tour are very accurate shafts but not as lively as Accra.

GD? I use their wood shafts. Like them. Haven't heard much about their iron shafts.

And a lot of people like Recoil - I like them but prefer a livelier feel.

Last edited:
Just curious, I may have missed it but what is your goal with the switch?

Both of my irons sets at the moment have the UST Mamiya Recoil ES SW right now. Just want something different so both aren't the same.

Last edited:
Both of my irons sets at the moment have the UST Mamiya Recoil ES SW right now. Just want something different so both aren't the same.

Talk with Will Peoples at Peoples Golf. He gives THP'ers a discount. He's done several shafts for me.

Talk with Will Peoples at Peoples Golf. He gives THP'ers a discount. He's done several shafts for me.

Thanks for that info, I will look hime up when I decide and the iron shafts I' going to put in my FTs.

Thanks for that info, I will look hime up when I decide and the iron shafts I' going to put in my FTs.

You can talk with him about shafts.

I currently have Hogan PTxPro with Recoil 85 Stiff. Prior to that I had Mizuno JPX 825 Pros with Awrotech SteelFiber 110cw stiff. The SteelFiber were definitely firmer, lower ball flight compared to the Recoils. I loved the SteelFiber but like the Recoil just a bit better, but part of that is because I prefer a higher ball flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough. I might try a different set of recoils though, like the 95’s or 95 proto’s. I tried a few different ones at club champion and none felt as good as recoils to me. It’s all going to be subjective so if possible, trying a few might be the best route. If not, it could be an expensive regret as I know some people mentioned steel fibers but to me those were by far the worst feeling shaft for me personally that I tried out of anything.

Fair enough. I might try a different set of recoils though, like the 95’s or 95 proto’s. I tried a few different ones at club champion and none felt as good as recoils to me. It’s all going to be subjective so if possible, trying a few might be the best route. If not, it could be an expensive regret as I know some people mentioned steel fibers but to me those were by far the worst feeling shaft for me personally that I tried out of anything.

The Fibers run fairly firm to flex which can make them feel ... not good. When I played them 10 yrs ago, I went down to senior flex to play to regular flex.

The Fibers run fairly firm to flex which can make them feel ... not good. When I played them 10 yrs ago, I went down to senior flex to play to regular flex.
They do seem to, true. I’m on the edge where I can easily play S or X, and nothing felt good about them to me. I have a fairly smooth transition though, so for me I always seem to gravitate towards iron shafts that suite that. My current sets have recoils in one and nippon modus 120’s in the other, which both are known for being “smooth”

I’m not sure if it’s been said but KBS TGI. I have it in my 4hyrbid and I really like it. I want to see how they feel in an iron.

I think this might be why I like my Steelfibers so much, for my driver and other long clubs I am Regular flex with just about anything, but for irons I'm kind of borderline between Regular and Stiff. I've always gone with Regular shafts in my irons, and the Regular Steelfibers hit the sweet spot for me, kind of a firm Regular, but not quite Stiff.

I have a set of clubs with steelfiber i95, recoil 110 and current gamers catalyst 100cw. I enjoy all of them (because its a golf club), but i will say recoil are the least favorite of the all. Its hard to articulate why, they all perform as they should its just a feel. I really like the catalyst 100cw they feel like i a, swinging steel without any vibration or sting. I haven’t had any pain in elbows since using them. Only downside is hard to find clubs that you can hit them in.

Ok, after careful consideration I've decided to go with the Aerotech Steel Fiber i70 R Flex shafts for reshafting my Cobra FT irons.

Just want to say thanks to everyone for ideas and suggestions, it made my decision alot easier. ;) 👍

MMT are fantastic.

The XCaliber Rapid Taper are other worldly good as well, but still not to market yet I believe.

Maybe try the recoil 95 series, awesome feel and performance. Steel fiber performs but, IMO, feel awful.

I also like @OITW elevate suggestion, those feel great, the tech is legit.

agree on the recoil 95s -- I have tried and hit ES Shafts -- no comparison to the recoil 95s.. love that shaft and also love the Recoil 80 shaft in irons.

My experience is that with the steelfibers getting into the right weight is almost more important as the flex. They run on the firm side for the stated flex. Combine that with a weight that does not suit you and you have a hard time swinging them. And they just feel very stout.

ti My surprise I ended up with a steelfiber i95 regular in a club champion fitting. By far the best results and what a feel. You always know where the clubhead is, can go after it, flight the ball low. All while your body is getting less of a beating.

I just got fitted into SteelFiber shafts. Results were impressive from a dispersion POV. Steel Fibers in Blue.

steel80.png

Back