Looking for Driver Fitting Guidance

Medium

Reaction score
I had my 16 yr old son fitted for a driver at PGA Superstore last week. He tried multiple heads and ended up with the best numbers for a 9 degree TSR3 with the Black 1K X 65G (numbers below). Was relatively happy with the fitting but after the fact I was a bit disappointed that we didn’t try any premium or after market shafts, more weight options, lofts, hosel adjustments, etc. I also didn't realize his dispersion wasn't great (although his shot shape was solid so might just be from not being used to hitting indoors).

Since we only spent about 35 minutes on the Trackman, they agreed to give us another 30 mins or so of fitting.

Looking for some guidance on what to ask to test from a shaft perspective, etc. Also, one thing the fitter said is he thinks his spin should be 2500 or higher. I have heard that he might be optimized at a bit lower rate. Also, is there a benefit to trying the 8 degree? Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Note: My son is a varsity high school golfer and plays to about a 7 HC. He hasn’t swung a club in about 6 weeks so his speed numbers if anything are a bit lower than usual.

1668397889020.png

I'd take him to a professional fitter like Club Champion or True Spec. They're going to be looking at dispersion and all the other data points to find the best option for him and to help him hit it straighter and be more consistent with the numbers.

116 ish mph club head speed + 1.5 ish AoA + 14.5 ish launch angle = 2300-2600 ish ideal spin rate
Looking at swings 1, 2 and 9, which based on their high(er) smash factors, are likely the most centered hits, the spin looks pretty darn good.
I don't gamble, but I'd bet hit 3 was high on the face and shots 4-8 were likely low to very low on the face. Impact is a big factor when fitting and reviewing at data.
*Edit* Just noticed how far right hit 1 was, but still, the analysis holds just looking at impacts 2 and 9.

Last edited:
116 ish mph club head speed + 1.5 ish AoA + 14.5 ish launch angle = 2300-2600 ish ideal spin rate
Looking at swings 1, 2 and 9, which based on their high(er) smash factors, are likely the most centered hits, the spin looks pretty darn good.
I don't gamble, but I'd bet hit 3 was high on the face and shots 4-8 were likely low to very low on the face. Impact is a big factor when fitting and reviewing at data.

Thanks for the reply. So wondering if there might be beneficial to try to lower the launch angle a bit with the 8 degree and/or a different shaft. Any thoughts on that? I'm also expecting better contact and potentially a bit faster swing speed once he's practicing regularly again.

Thanks for the reply. So wondering if there might be beneficial to try to lower the launch angle a bit with the 8 degree and/or a different shaft. Any thoughts on that? I'm also expecting better contact and potentially a bit faster swing speed once he's practicing regularly again.
He can certainly try going down a degree in loft (whether a different head or the hosel setting), which will decrease launch angle and spin rate. An argument can be made that could be an improvement, but the numbers look pretty good now. The data will prove it out. As for different shafts, if he sees an improvement in centeredness of face contact and/or face squareness consistency, then great, go with that shaft. THAT is main goal of the shaft fitting portion... deliver the head as fast and consistently as possible.

I'd take him to a professional fitter like Club Champion or True Spec. They're going to be looking at dispersion and all the other data points to find the best option for him and to help him hit it straighter and be more consistent with the numbers.

I already paid for the fitting and the guy is a professional fitter. I just want to make sure I ask the right questions. Drivers are expensive so want to get as close to 100% right as I can.

Launch angle and spin numbers look fine to me. It's the dispersion he needs to work on, and there doesn't seem to be a consistent miss.

With his speed a shorter shaft could help narrow that L/R range down whilst barely losing any distance. Is his dispersion still as wide with fairway woods?

Launch angle and spin numbers look fine to me. It's the dispersion he needs to work on, and there doesn't seem to be a consistent miss.

With his speed a shorter shaft could help narrow that L/R range down whilst barely losing any distance. Is his dispersion still as wide with fairway woods?

Ok, thanks. I will try the shorter shaft. I do want to see what the dispersion looks like the second time on the Trackman. The fitter had him on the 18th (I think) at St Andrew's so the fairway was massive and so it didn't seem like he was having big misses as the shot shape was good and consistent. I'm just wondering if it was just the indoor virtual optics that was causing him to have a bad starting point?

Edit: But also wondering if a different shaft would help accuracy. Maybe even same shaft but 75G?

Back